Super Contributor

Re: Tracphone TSV, if you see one, RUN

I buy tracfone refil cards on Target.com or store.  If purchased online the pin info is sent by email.  I then add the airtime to my phone. I prefer to not have cc or debit card attached to my tracfone acct.  Target occasionally has deals for cards, most recently 30% off. With a target card you also get an addtl 5% off.

Honored Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

I've had a Tracfone for years.  It's not a Smart Phone and I keep it in my purse for emergencies.  It costs me $20 every 3 months to add airtime to keep the phone number active.  Works for me.   

@Catty2.   If youre like me and almost never use your phone, theres a cheaper, easier way to go.  I have over 6,000 minutes on my phone from buying new phones so i dont need to buy minutes.  I go online to the Tracfone website once a year and buy a year of service, which keeps the phone active.  I just did it last week and the year cost me $50.  I dont have to think about it again until next April.  That makes the cost to use my phone about $4/month.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

I had a bad experience too.. The last new Tracfone I bought from QVC,  after activating it and deactivating my old one, I couldn't get a call thru.  i called Tracfone CS, told them,  they transferred me to Tech Support - and basically the rep told me that I would have to change my phone number to get it to work.  When I told him I had no intention to do that - he basically said ok - we are done now.   Since I have done this before, I knew it wasn't true.   SO I hung up,  decided to try  rebooting  the new phone and it worked fine.   I wish I could have reported him.

Valued Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Catty2 wrote:

I've had a Tracfone for years.  It's not a Smart Phone and I keep it in my purse for emergencies.  It costs me $20 every 3 months to add airtime to keep the phone number active.  Works for me.   

@Catty2.   If youre like me and almost never use your phone, theres a cheaper, easier way to go.  I have over 6,000 minutes on my phone from buying new phones so i dont need to buy minutes.  I go online to the Tracfone website once a year and buy a year of service, which keeps the phone active.  I just did it last week and the year cost me $50.  I dont have to think about it again until next April.  That makes the cost to use my phone about $4/month.

Being a senior I own a Tracfone using mostly  for emergencies also, like a stay in the hospital, or when my land line loses power due to weather it comes in as a blessing to have.

Have been a happy  Tracfone owner for many years but there are times didn't use it much so when it was time to buy more minutes saw there was an option for like $50.00 to add on a whole year of service to keep my phone active, and if I need  minutes  can go back online anytime or pick up a Tracfone card  to add more minutes during that year,so easy to use.

Just have to remember  when your service is about to be up use the option of adding a year of service to your phone so you don't lose your minutes.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I have used a Tracphone for several years too!  I am not a cell phone enthusiast, so don't use it much.  And I have had good service with CS.  But so often I get a CS person that really cannot speak nor understand English very well.  Very frustrating...usually end up asking for a different rep.

Honored Contributor

I did finally call CS and they straightened out CC info, which the online site had supposedly taken.  They also raised my rate to 9.00 something a month.  I was out of service for two days until changes went through.  I don't expect Walmart or Verizon to service the phone, but they could answer a simple question out of courtesy.  DH has a Verizon phone.  

Super Contributor

I have been with Tracfone for over 20 years and love it!  Ido have a landline and use the cell phone mainly for texting but do use the other options.  For the limited times I needed CS, I have never had a problem.  Sorry for your experience but I can't see me being without the convenience, lesser bills, updated phones any time soon!  BTW, I have never had a problem not getting service but I don't live in a remote area.

Respected Contributor

I don't understand why it makes a difference where you buy the phone.  When you call their customer service all you need is a SIM number off that phone and they will set you up.  I've gotten excellent service from them.  I recently helped a friend with a very complicated situation where they were switching from another carrier.  These Tracfone people stuck with it to the end.  They were real troopers.  Even returned calls back to me with updates.  And yes, he kept the same cell phone he used with the other carrier.  He is blown away at the amount of money he is saving.  Yay! 

Honored Contributor

OP, you should be able to handle this on the TracPhone website.