New Contributor

Hi everyone,

Could people who have a trac fone let me know how they like it. I really want to purchase the tsv, but alot of the reviews that I have seen are negative. The big complaint is customer service where they have to wait a long time on the phone and have trouble understanding the service rep as they are in another country. People  have also reported times when there minutes were decreased without using them or the phone is shut off and then they cant get customer service. I need to know that if i have minutes and try to use the phone and it says no minutes that worries me especially in case of an emergency.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Trac Fone TSV

[ Edited ]

Tracfone is the only cell phone we have ever used. Their customer service is horrible since you cannot understand them. When that happens you have to hang up & call back or ask to talk to a supervisor. I don't call them unless I absolutely have to. I have not had to call them much.

When you get the phone you can set it up yourself. It comes with step by step directions.

I think if you are transferring a number from another provider is when you may need to call them & it may take longer.

You have to add airtime before your mins or service days expire.

We have never had any mins lost off the phone or shut off.

Does not matter if you have any mins or not on the Tracfone it will still call 911. 

Wish the Samsung was a GSM phone. We have to use AT&T so cannot use the phones with CDMA. We don't have Verizon service.

Here is some info about using your cell phone to call 911 with a cell phone with no service.

http://www.freegovernmentcellphones.net/911-emergency-calls-from-any-cell-phone

Super Contributor

Hi Italian Baker ,  I'll be happy to help if you can send some baked goodies over......LOL

I've  had a TracFone for many years and for the most part have been happy w/ it all.   It's true that if you need  trouble shooting you'll most likely speak to some one in/from India..... Have not had any problems w/ minutes etc. 

Only drawback for me is when I visit relatives in Europe I can't "call home " w/ my Fone.....      HTH    >^..^<

Respected Contributor

You probably could auto pay to make sure that you don't forget about your minutes. I don't use Tracfone, but I have to make sure that I add time before it runs out. 

One thing about this phone that bothered me was that they were touting 1500 MB of data. That is 1.5 GB of data and if you're going to take advantage of the J7 Sky Pro to the fullest, you need to use data. If not, use wi-fi. They're not stressing that and people find that they like data and need to spend more for it. Then they are unhappy.

I think Tracfone and Consumer Cellular aren't great for data. I think they are really expensive (data), so really think about how you would want to use the phone. 

Honored Contributor

@JavaQueen wrote:

You probably could auto pay to make sure that you don't forget about your minutes. I don't use Tracfone, but I have to make sure that I add time before it runs out. 

One thing about this phone that bothered me was that they were touting 1500 MB of data. That is 1.5 GB of data and if you're going to take advantage of the J7 Sky Pro to the fullest, you need to use data. If not, use wi-fi. They're not stressing that and people find that they like data and need to spend more for it. Then they are unhappy.

I think Tracfone and Consumer Cellular aren't great for data. I think they are really expensive (data), so really think about how you would want to use the phone. 

@JavaQueen I don't use much data on mine since it uses my wifi at home. Tracfone does sell 1gb for $10 & 1000 texts for $5 as add ons.

Respected Contributor

I have had tracfone for many years - sometimes setting up is a real pain, getting the minutes they are giving you is equally a pain.  I just signed up for an auto-fill program - it was supposed to fill on June 23 - didn't.  I have to give them a call when I get a chance - UGH!  I signed up for auto-fill so I don't have to deal with their stupid website - took me forever to figure out how to get more mintues online.  Some good, some bad, right now bad.  If you use their cards, much easier.  They have a 1GB data for only $10 which is cool.  You can also purchase like 1,000 texts for $5 or something like that.  My phone actually works better than my Verizon I had - Verizon had many many dropped calls or I didn't get messages for 24 hours - don't have that problem with Tracfone. 

Honored Contributor

@italian baker wrote:

Hi everyone,

Could people who have a trac fone let me know how they like it. I really want to purchase the tsv, but alot of the reviews that I have seen are negative. The big complaint is customer service where they have to wait a long time on the phone and have trouble understanding the service rep as they are in another country. People  have also reported times when there minutes were decreased without using them or the phone is shut off and then they cant get customer service. I need to know that if i have minutes and try to use the phone and it says no minutes that worries me especially in case of an emergency.

I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

I purchased an LG Tracfone last fall, because I was tired of paying $80 a month to AT&T.   The LG phone is nothing to compare to my Samsung 5.    I'll just deal with it,   I might end up buying minutes, etc to last me a year for $80. For me, that's worth it all.   

The 2 times I had to call customer service it was a bit trying but isn't everything?  They did solve my problem, however.

You have to decide your priorities.   I wish I had the choice to get this new phone, but I'm not changing now.    Maybe in another year or 2.

Respected Contributor

I've only called CS once and that was when I got my first Tracfone and was switching from Sprint.

Took about ten minutes and the rep that helped me spoke perfect english. I don't use auto refill. When I need more data or texts, I buy the cards on their website.

I've used the Tracfone interactive tutorial th help me with 99% of the questions that I've had.