New Contributor

Todays Special Value by Cottage Farms.....Sedium

I recently had my front and side yards entirely dug up and redone...lawn and beds. I reside in the suburbs of a city. We don't deal with acreage w/deal w/lots...lol. I decided when I had the new landscaping done I wanted to use plenty of large and small rocks throughout my beds. The rest of the beds are just different heights and sizes of all evergreen plants...all different colors of green, which I love and it's very low maintenance. I also have directly near my front door a huge stone planter which is adjacent to my front door walk. It's quite large. OK, (LOL), now my question(s):

Can I plant this sedium directly into the planter (front and sides) besides within the planter which already has a small tree planted there for height? Must I add soil since this planter is nothing but stone and cement, no soil whatsoever except for the interior of this planter...I thought the sedium might soften up this huge planter. Also I had various sections of rocks, approx. 5 inches in diameter, wrapped around some of the bushes and trees. Can I just stick the sedium directly on top of these rocks or must I add a bit of soil where I'm planting them between the rocks? I thought by adding some sedium throughout some of the rocks I had put in, it may soften up these areas and add a bit of color too. Also, between my driveway which is cement and a fence abutting the driveway I have an approx. space of six inches where I normally just have brown mulch put there. Can I place the sedium in this space approx. 30 feet long and 6 inches wide? Since there is a carport over the driveway this area doesn't receive a lot of sunlight, will they grow in that area? Additionally, in my backyard, which isn't large, can I place the sedium under and around trees, which again, only gets partial sunlight? Basically all I want to do w/the sedium is to soften up the look of all the rocks and place them where nothing else will grow. Also, I'm worried about this sedium after I plant same between the rocks in the front and side yard beds that same might overgrow onto my new lawn?? This I don't want to happen. Finally, I also had some large rocks, approx. 2 feet in diameter placed in certain areas of my beds, if I plant some sedium between these rocks will they continue to grow all over taking over areas...which I don't want? I'm thinking of purchasing 3 or 4 of the carpets being sold today. This should be more than ample for what I'd like to do, if I can. Oh, also, the sedium being planted within the beds will occasionally be hit by the sprinkler system, not much, but each day in the summer when the sprinkler system is on, some water does hit the bedding areas. Is this ok or will the sedium die? Sorry for all of the questions but prior to purchasing these carpets I want to ensure I'm not going to kill the plants. Thank you!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Todays Special Value by Cottage Farms.....Sedium

Go to the product page and download the growing guide. And read the reviews while you're there.

Honored Contributor

From watching the presentation this morning, sedum will not overgrow lawn, and lawn will not overgrow sedum. It can be planted in a container, a strawberry jar was shown, but it must have soil, though it can be regular, sandy, or amended clay soil, such as I have.

Regarding water, Phillip said that once it is established, watering every few weeks or so is enough. I think as long as the sedum is not soaked constantly, it should be okay, but if it gets too much water, it probably would die. Why does your sprinkler go off every day? Here in CA, we would practically be shot if we used that much water, lol.

I have the opposite problem, poor soil and hardly any water, but I think with soil amendment, I may be successful.

Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 cjmcp said:

Go to the product page and download the growing guide. And read the reviews while you're there.

There are only two reviews, not enough to discourage me.

Frequent Contributor

On 2/17/2015 mousiegirl said:
On 2/17/2015 cjmcp said:

There are only two reviews, not enough to discourage me.

I see three; two of which were total failures. But I wish you much luck.

Not applicable

I would like to know if the tsv can be planted next to my home where the grass is thin, doesn't grow. Will it spread into the good grass? Also can I plant next to the house where I have decorative rocks now? This is an area that used to have soil, gets no sun and gets dripping from the roof.
Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2015 lvsee said: I would like to know if the tsv can be planted next to my home where the grass is thin, doesn't grow. Will it spread into the good grass? Also can I plant next to the house where I have decorative rocks now? This is an area that used to have soil, gets no sun and gets dripping from the roof.

It is not supposed to encroach on grass, so says Philip, but it does need some dirt to grow in, full sun or part shade, not a lot of water.