Regular Contributor

Today's Stadium Bag TSV...NOT RFID??

In this day and age WHY would Aimee Kestenberg even think about not making this RFID?  I had it in my cart, but when I learned it was not RFID, I removed it.  I love her things and have a "denim leather" purse...   Sorry, but won't even consider

Honored Contributor

Re: Today's Stadium Bag TSV...NOT RFID??

...probably because most of us have RFID blocking sleeves for our credit cards.  We don't have to have the protection built into our handbags.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

RFID is mostly used in Europe. There are very, very few of those kinds of chips used here in the US. Do google that info and find out the facts. Scare tactics make good sales.

If you received a card which uses RFID technology then you should have also gotten some kind of memo or letter explaining what it involves and how to avoid fraud when using it. Most cards use microchip technology that is the 'touch' kind and are not vulnerable to 'RFID' thieves. RFID is not that but rather a chip that transmits radio waves out into the air. That kind of chip is very expensive and most companies don't issue them.

Search:

How do I know if my credit card has RFID?

Respected Contributor

Because RFID isn't really the big problem retailers tell you it is.

RFID protection is a solution to a problem that doesn't actually exist. 

Frequent Contributor

@Roni wrote:

In this day and age WHY would Aimee Kestenberg even think about not making this RFID?  I had it in my cart, but when I learned it was not RFID, I removed it.  I love her things and have a "denim leather" purse...   Sorry, but won't even consider

The other posters are correct about RFID being a scare tactic in the US. I was sadly duped by retailers as well, not having done my research. *sigh* In truth, I guess I wasn't so much duped by them, as myself for believing them. I convinced myself they were right. At the time, there probably wasn't any data to debunk the claims, or so I'd like to tell myself. Smiley Indifferent

Interesting tidbit you can Google. Fear sets off primal instincts in our brains and triggers the impulse section in our executive functions. When the "caveman" or prehistoric part of our brain takes over it produces chemicals that drown out the "thinker" part of our brain because if we're in danger, our brain puts all of its resources into caveman. We need caveman, but only in balance with thinker. Otherwise sensibility, reason and rational get thrown right out the window! So, unless there's a lion walking through your living room, make sure to use your thinker when watching QVC! lol

It takes time to research everything and spoils the fun, so I sometimes fall for sales pitches because I WANT this thing or that thing to solve my problems! In this case, I guess I also liked the excuse to buy new wallets, purses, etc...! Smiley Wink

Unfortunately, there isn't a single thing in our lives that doesn't need extra research. Especially when the opinion in question is financially motivated. Not a sign of the times or that people are "different" now and things were so innocent long ago. Remember traveling snake oil salesmen? Smiley Happy

Now maybe you can buy a bag!! Heart

Honored Contributor

Shopping channels/hosts have been pushing all the RFID protection and didn't really understand themselves what RFID really was. 

Esteemed Contributor

I spent a grand total of $4.00 for a RFID protected case in which I carry things I used to keep in a wallet.
Makes no sense to pay for RFID protection built into every handbag. Found my little pocket sized hinged case in a hardware store.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have not heard of one person who has had their

ID stolen because of no RFID.

But yet, when there's a warning for people not to use

their debit card/PIN at point of sale, like Target,

convenience store, etc..we usually get a 'MEH', so....

Seems like the emphasis is on the wrong thing.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

google it:  The short answer is that RFID blocking is not necessary, and companies that tout their RFID blocking products more often than not are capitalizing on consumer misinformation about new technology.

Actually less than 5% of credit cards on the market today still use RFID technology. Companies have instead adopted what’s known as EMV chips, which require contact for payment and cannot be “skimmed.” In other words, out of the roughly 550 million credit cards in circulation in the United States, only about 26 million use RFID chips.

Moreover, the cards that do utilize RFID chips also use unique, encrypted codes for each individual transaction. That means that if a thief did skim your credit card, he or she would only be able to make one purchase with that information.

Esteemed Contributor

I was going to buy a few bags but read the questions below on size. A lot of stadiums want clear bags. And the bag measures more than 6.5"x4.5". Some stadiums require smaller.  I'm not buying a bag. 🤪🙄 I'm glad to know about the RFID and that it's not necessary. 
  I learn a lot on these forums, thanks y'all!