Valued Contributor

Has anyone bought these? It's hard to know if you're getting the right reading.

Valued Contributor

No. I am perfectly happy with the old fashion mercury thermometer. Works great for me. I also have an electronic digital model but don't like using it. QVC spent about 40 minutes on this at midnight. How much time do you need to discuss the features...really?

Honored Contributor

@Xivambala wrote:

QVC spent about 40 minutes on this at midnight. How much time do you need to discuss the features...really?

I would think most do not sit and watch QVC exclusively and most sales are made by those who channel surf so repitition is the best way to present items!  I know I never watch QVC steady but just occasionally check to see what is being presented.  It's not like the old days when the internet was not around and you had to watch steady to see things and order.

Trusted Contributor

While I have not used the model shown my husband has to use a more expensive one every day at work for his employees.  The obsession over temperature taking is SOOO overrated and as we have found completely useless.  He has questioned for a while if it takes an accurate temperature.  Then one week 2 of his employees tested postive for COVID.  Neither felt good but also didn't have a temperature.  

Save your money and get a less expensive thermometer from the drug store.

Esteemed Contributor

Are the old mercury thermometers still available? I need one, but haven't seen anything but the battery operated ones. Since I've not taken a temp in over 15 years (seriously), I don't want a battery operated one. Those batteries would die before I ever used it. Actually think my late husband probably used the current mercury thermometer in our home and he passed away beforeThanksgiving 2005. I tried it and it doesn't work any longer.

Seems like I should have a working one just in case.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

I picked this up today.  I am going to carry one in my purse and the other for home.   We have a different one and readings are all over the place.  

My husband is always saying feel my forehead do I feel hot.  Now I can whip it out and take it when we are in the car.  Plus when I go to my sisters to help her out I can check her temp first. Better safe than sorry.

Honored Contributor

In order to enter our library, our temps are taken.  Mine is always "low."  I take off my hat and mask, and my temp is "normal."  Go figah!

Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Are the old mercury thermometers still available? I need one, but haven't seen anything but the battery operated ones. Since I've not taken a temp in over 15 years (seriously), I don't want a battery operated one. Those batteries would die before I ever used it. Actually think my late husband probably used the current mercury thermometer in our home and he passed away beforeThanksgiving 2005. I tried it and it doesn't work any longer.

Seems like I should have a working one just in case.  

@BirkiLady Technically No Mercury termometers are not available since Mercury itself is dangerous.  You can get a non-mercury thermometer.  Any other one on the market requires batteries.  On the plus side those batteries do last for years.

Valued Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@Xivambala wrote:

QVC spent about 40 minutes on this at midnight. How much time do you need to discuss the features...really?

I would think most do not sit and watch QVC exclusively and most sales are made by those who channel surf so repitition is the best way to present items!  I know I never watch QVC steady but just occasionally check to see what is being presented.  It's not like the old days when the internet was not around and you had to watch steady to see things and order.

@Pook:  

I don't watch continuously. In this instance I had it on in the background while watching a live program on YouTube on another device. Some others do keep QVC on in there homes while conducting other activities during the day/night. QVC should not have to devote this much time to any one product because they will air it an inordianate amount of times throughout the day, and people can always check the QVC main page on the internet.

Valued Contributor

Got mine last yr when they sold only one.I feel it is accurate and spot on when my husband gets his taken again when he goes to work.Nurse and I have running dialogue as how close we get.I have not changed batteries.

That being said good to have when no-one could find one in spring.Good to have for any sickness.No,its not 100percent in covid sickness but I plan to use for other issues.

Just because we have a virus that changes like the wind is no reason to say I don't need one.Nothing is foolproof.You have to decide if you need it in your medicine cabinet just like you did with the old ones.