Trusted Contributor

What a great TSV fountain! So many accessories, rechargeable battery, remote--seems to do everything. I have a shady yard, so I'm happy to see a non-solar fountain.

Super Contributor

Re: That Bernini fountain.....

I bought a bird batch with a solar fountain similar to this from QVC. The pump had to be cleaned continuously and it was a pain in the neck to disassemble, clean and reassemnlble. It completely failed in a short period of time. I still have the birdbath, but no fountain. Also, the birdbath and finials will need to be cleaned quite often as they will get covered with algae, mold, etc. They don't mention any of this in the sales pitch. I clean mine with full strength white vinegar and a stiff brush. It turns black if not cleaned. I wouldn't buy anything with a pump again.

Respected Contributor

I didn't have any better luck with this than the solar ones. While they look great durability isn't one of the features. I gave up trying after 4. I so wanted to find one that would last more than one season.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

I have owned several of these. Let me think. OK, I can think of three of them. They are all 'solar'. Two are the older versions where the only work in the sun.

Before I go any further and in the interest of full disclosure, I have to say I don't go overboard in taking care of things like this (too tedious).

OK, so one stopped working pretty early on (of course it lasted longer than the one month). I was so worried about mosquitos laying eggs in it I got the stuff you put in water (like bird baths that prevent mosquito's from laying eggs). I know that when the water is moving, no problem, but remember that these first two only worked in the sun (like Dan said earlier, "He'd be enjoying the fountain and the clouds would come and it would stop working". Ditto for me. Both of these turned into bird baths.

Now another thing they don't tell you is that yes, algae and other things like to visit. No big deal, just Mother Nature, part of the process. You will need to clean it. I always worried about animals drinking from it (it gets real hot in parts of the East in the Summer), so I couldn't leave any chemicals in it. (Another note: They make mosquito prevention tablets that won't hurt animals).

Another thing you MUST remember (which I had trouble remembering) you MUST make sure there is enough water constantly in the fountain (do it manually as it is not hooked up to a water supply). The water evaporates quite rapidly in the hot summer sun. It needs to be where you will remember to keep an eye on the water level too and that you can easily take pots of water there.

Finally (were you wondering) the third one (I bought last year). It has the battery they were talking about. I actually bought another battery because I wanted the option to keep it going while the other one was charging.

Due to medical issues I did not get to put the fountain together last year. It is still sitting outside in the weather. I don't know what happened to the person who posted that their fountain peeled. None of mine did that. I didn't have trouble with it.

I'm terrible about taking much maintenance on anything. I have a large house, an acre of land and am almost 70 so i pay someone to maintain the yard. If you buy this make sure you are able to maintain it or have someone who can. Make sure you are able to keep an eye on the water level...water level is very important.

I put lillies in my fountains (the two I had working). Even when they were still working (solar) they didn't get clogged up from the lillies. You won't need to worry about mosquitos as long as the water is moving.

i am seriously thinking of buying another one (then I'll have two) which will be fine. I'm going to sell this huge house and buy something smaller. I intend to give my daughter one of the fountains for her yard (she initially didn't want it but I think she'll take it now) and either leave this one or take it with me.

The water is soothing. I love fountains. Get it if you think you'll like it.

Respected Contributor

This is the battery one I had. Same brand Bernini.

~~
Trusted Contributor

Yep, maintenance can be an issue. I live in the deep South, and we have a mega problem with mold and algae. I have a normal birdbath, no fountain no nothing. In the summer I have to change the water every second day to prevent mosquitoes. Even doing that, I have to wipe out the interior with a sponge and rag to get rid of the algae. I also have a glazed ceramic fountain on my terrace. It's a plug-in style. It doesn't get the algae buildup at all, I guess because it's ceramic?? But yes, I do need to make sure the water level never falls below the surface of the pump or the pump will burn out. Fountains are very pretty, but for low maintenance, birdbaths are the way to go.

Honored Contributor

The presenter put a potted plant on the top, saying plants can be watered, crazy, but I would advise against this as the dirt will come through the hole in the bottom of the planter and dirty the fountain.

Respected Contributor

On 3/7/2015 CJC said:

Yep, maintenance can be an issue. I live in the deep South, and we have a mega problem with mold and algae. I have a normal birdbath, no fountain no nothing. In the summer I have to change the water every second day to prevent mosquitoes. Even doing that, I have to wipe out the interior with a sponge and rag to get rid of the algae. I also have a glazed ceramic fountain on my terrace. It's a plug-in style. It doesn't get the algae buildup at all, I guess because it's ceramic?? But yes, I do need to make sure the water level never falls below the surface of the pump or the pump will burn out. Fountains are very pretty, but for low maintenance, birdbaths are the way to go.

I went to a plain old cement bird bath with a clamp on mister. I keep it low enough that it just drips into the water. I have a toilet scrub brush to swish it out every day and refill

~~
Honored Contributor

I have two of the solar ones and haven't had any issues with it working or mold. Mine are in an area where no tree debris can fall into it, not sure if that helped. 2x a week I dump out the water and add new. I haven't had to scrub it. They both look like new and are three or four years old. I am considering the TSV to go with the new solar lights I bought at costco.
Honored Contributor

I like the idea of a fountain with a rechargeable battery - so much better than solar. And, on this particular model, I don't care for the planter they plopped on top. Looks like they didn't know what else to put there and decided a planter was better than nothing.