Super Contributor
On 4/20/2014 Ford1224 said:

What I've heard is that MS is discontinuing tech help or patches on Windows XP only. I have no interest in tablets, but I doubt there are any with Windows XP on them since that OS is almost 20 years old.

The operating system was released to manufacturing on August 24, 2001, and generally released for retail sale on October 25, 2001.

As of 2 years ago it was still offered for sale on new computers.

Respected Contributor
KJPA, thanks for the tip and for leading me to go find those chars. There are a bunch of hidden characters, in fact....I checked all the keys to see what's available. I've had this nook for a year and a half and never knew....
Trusted Contributor
On 4/20/2014 Kind1too said:
On 4/20/2014 Ford1224 said:

What I've heard is that MS is discontinuing tech help or patches on Windows XP only. I have no interest in tablets, but I doubt there are any with Windows XP on them since that OS is almost 20 years old.

The operating system was released to manufacturing on August 24, 2001, and generally released for retail sale on October 25, 2001.

As of 2 years ago it was still offered for sale on new computers.

Kind1too, if it was offered for sale on new computers two years ago they must have been pretty old computers that had not sold for years. Or the seller was removing a newer version of Windows and replacing it with XP, which may or may not have been a licensed copy. Since I don't know what sellers you are talking about I'm really not sure.

Also, some companies and especially government agencies, "move" their licensed installations of an older version to new PCs they buy. They have many good reasons for keeping everyone on one version of Windows and that's the easiest way to do it even if they have to buy a new PC with a newer Windows version.

If you work at a place like that your IT department could have given you a brand new PC just last year with XP! It would look like they bought it that way and most users would never know the difference.

I say all that just to support my statement that even if you've seen new PCs in the last two years with XP that doesn't mean manufacturers were making them that way. I think it's been about five years since any were "made" with XP. And in the IT world five years is an eternity. Think of it this way, the iPad was first introduced to us FOUR years ago this month. Imagine, five years ago there were NO tablets Smiley Wink

KJPA
Honored Contributor
On 4/20/2014 KJPA said:
On 4/20/2014 happy housewife said:
On 4/20/2014 nutmeg3 said:

You do need a computer that is running. It should have an OS that is not Window XP. I like tablets, and use mine for many tasks. You can view movies, TV shows, read Kindle books, play music etc. The list goes on. If you are going to buy a tablet, the Apple Air is the best choice.

Last summer I was using my tablet for everything - even paying the bills with it - but I found out that not everything I thought was being sent was actually sent. Some of the bills were not paid even though I had sent them SO now I use our windows laptop for anything important like banking and paying bills. I know some folks trust that their tablets and even phones are sufficient for this but I do not - one bad experience taught me a lesson. Thank goodness I keep through records including the reference # assigned to tasks by my bank as I needed that information when I called them last summer to figure out why some bills had scheduled to be paid were not paid. They said it was a bad idea to use an android device for important tasks like this.

Perhaps I misunderstood something but if you have the reference number from the bank doesn't that indicate the mistake paying the bill happened at their end? Sounds like the tablet did its job.

The # appeared on the screen but apparently when I pressed send it did not do that. On my bank site you have to review the transaction then , assuming it is correct , you press send.

Honored Contributor

I think (it's not like I know much about this stuff) that everyone needs both. I have both and am about to get another IPAD (a smaller one).

Honored Contributor
On 4/20/2014 annabellethecat said:

I think (it's not like I know much about this stuff) that everyone needs both. I have both and am about to get another IPAD (a smaller one).

Not really - my DH gets along just fine with just his laptop. It totally depends on what you use your computer for.I prefer a tablet because it is so much faster. I am going crazy having to use his laptop while I wait for my tablet to come back from service.Just turning this thing on takes forever.

Trusted Contributor

Not really - my DH gets along just fine with just his laptop. It totally depends on what you use your computer for.I prefer a tablet because it is so much faster. I am going crazy having to use his laptop while I wait for my tablet to come back from service.Just turning this thing on takes forever.

Hahaha! He needs a new laptop Smiley Wink I love my Windows 8 laptop mostly because it is so fast. Boots up from cold in seconds. SSD makes a huge difference too. Tablets have Solid State Drives (SSD) instead of Hard Drives (HD) and I think that's a big reason they are so fast. My laptop is Windows 8 and I put a totally SSD in it and it is super fast.

Do not let anyone talk you into getting a Hybrid Drive!!! That's where the operating system uses the Solid State part and there is a separate Hard Drive for all of the rest of the system. I've had three of those in the past 15 months and all three have failed. I have never had ANY other drive fail, not a hard drive and not a solid state drive. But I think the SSD is worth the extra money.

KJPA
Honored Contributor
On 4/20/2014 nomless said: Ford, fyi. I read that about 30% of the computer out there still run XP. A lot of people were like me...it served there needs and there was no need to upgrade to a newer OS. Now that I've used Win 8, I think MSFT was right, it'time to retire XP. I still have and use my XP system, but it seems clunky to me now.

I loved XP when it was current, I ran a computer department with two servers and 36 workstations with XP. For the times it was the best OS out there. However, I have been retired now for ten years, and we had XP for at least five or six years when I was working, so that is one very old OS!!

If I still had a computer running XP, I would definitely get a new one. I guess it depends on how much one uses it. I use mine every single day for many things.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor
On 4/21/2014 KJPA said:

Hahaha! He needs a new laptop Smiley Wink I love my Windows 8 laptop mostly because it is so fast. Boots up from cold in seconds. SSD makes a huge difference too. Tablets have Solid State Drives (SSD) instead of Hard Drives (HD) and I think that's a big reason they are so fast. My laptop is Windows 8 and I put a totally SSD in it and it is super fast.

Do not let anyone talk you into getting a Hybrid Drive!!! That's where the operating system uses the Solid State part and there is a separate Hard Drive for all of the rest of the system. I've had three of those in the past 15 months and all three have failed. I have never had ANY other drive fail, not a hard drive and not a solid state drive. But I think the SSD is worth the extra money.

Not everyone can just go out and buy new expensive electronic toys at the drop of a hat. some of us actually use ours until they can't be used anymore, before we replace them.

Honored Contributor
On 4/21/2014 happy housewife said:
On 4/21/2014 KJPA said:

Not everyone can just go out and buy new expensive electronic toys at the drop of a hat. some of us actually use ours until they can't be used anymore, before we replace them.

Some of us have to stay current at home and at work or we are out of a job.