Respected Contributor

TSV gold chain hollow construction- a good or bad purchase?

I know the gold buys of yesteryear are no longer. The TSV rope chains do look beautiful, but in their description it states hollow construction.  No doubt this is done to make the necklace look bigger and not use as much gold as it would if it had been solid.  

So my question is: is it worth the price?   Is anyone purchasing them?  Which lengths?

accordingbto today's price per gram of gold, the prices for the necklaces are about double.  

I would also like to know the country of import.   I think if we're Italy or Turkey, it would be stated.  

Opionions welcomed. 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Valued Contributor

Re: TSV gold chain hollow construction- a good or bad purchase?

[ Edited ]

I heard Rick say the necklaces are made in Peru. Sorry, I don't know too much about the pros and cons of hollow ropes. 

Im not buying because I already have a few ropes, a 22 inch thick rope and a few smaller 18 and 20 inches for pendants. They look nice though.

"The love you extend to others, will eventually find it's way back to you, no matter how many times it has left you hurt."
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't have a hollow rope.   A little wear and stress on a link,  and there's a lot on a rope,  and the thing breaks.   It's probably paper-thin.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have a few ropes from yesteryear and I have caught them on my seatbelt and my granddaughter yanked on one when she was a toddler. I just see these breaking.

Honored Contributor

I'm not buying the ropes because I lived through the rope era --and I have ropes already in several lengths.  In fact, this TSV sent me looking yesterday and I "found" not only my ropes but 2 other necklaces I haven't worn for ages.

I'm sure some are hollow, but I have to say I have no idea which are which.  They all look and feel very similar and I've been lucky never to have had a problem with any rope except with one bracelet.  No idea where that came from, but it was not a QVC purchase according to my records.

Honored Contributor

A rope chain?  How very 1980s.  Q's jewelry is so dated.

I would never buy a hollow rope.  Cheap  junk.

Respected Contributor

I am one that still enjoys yellow gold .  I can imagine this chain feeling Light and sounding Tinny. I've sent back chains for this reason in the past.

Respected Contributor

I'm passing because, well, I don't really need them.  I'll wear what I have instead.  I would worry about breaking a hollow chain.  I have a bracelet from years ago - not a QVC purchase - that is a triple row link and several of the links have broken and that was not hollow.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

A rope chain?  How very 1980s.  Q's jewelry is so dated.

I would never buy a hollow rope.  Cheap  junk.

I think a rope chain is classic, never dated.

Nailhead bracelet...that's dated.

Omegas...maybe them too.

A rope chain...never.  IMO.

Keepin' it real.
Super Contributor

The most uninspiring TSV! And if I calculated correctly, it was about $80 a gram!  I think not!  The hosts can get all the fake excitement going, but from the sales earlier today, the customers werent buying it!!