Frequent Contributor

TSV Electric Mandoline Question

I see this must have been sold before because of some of the questions asked...about just buying the additional blades.  If you purchased this prior to this version, how do you like it?  I see it is only 150W...which is really not powerful.  I am kind of afraid to purchase thinking that in a couple of months it will be offered with a more powerful motor and more blades...like fine shredding blade.

How do you like the previous version?  How many Watts was the first version...150W or higher?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: TSV Electric Mandoline Question

There were  complaints about this product and some were the blade getting stuck.  It appears to be a good idea but seems to need some redesign to be safe and more efficient. Many times what is demonstrated on Q is not what you get home.

All the reviews are gone which is never a good sign.

Honored Contributor

@klajfakj wrote:

I see this must have been sold before because of some of the questions asked...about just buying the additional blades.  If you purchased this prior to this version, how do you like it?  I see it is only 150W...which is really not powerful.  I am kind of afraid to purchase thinking that in a couple of months it will be offered with a more powerful motor and more blades...like fine shredding blade.

How do you like the previous version?  How many Watts was the first version...150W or higher?

Yes it was a TSV back in the fall.  I purchased it but decided against keeping it (never even opened the box) when I started to read the many negative reviews.  There were just to many complaints on it not cutting as well as they expected and people also mentioned that it was hard to keep the machine clean.

The blades and other parts can be removed for cleaning but there was a part on the machine itself (I don't remember if it was the chute) where food would get into that couldn't be removed for cleaning and so I didn't even try it out.

Interesting how the reviews are all gone on it.

Honored Contributor

The concept looks great, Meredith Lawrence makes it look so easy but I still have my old Salad Shooter!!   It works great, I love it.

• Includes electric slicer and dicer mandoline, 2-qt storage container, thick-slice blade, thin-slice blade, julienne blade, grating blade, small cubing blade, large cubing blade, wavy blade, cleaning brush, cube insert cleaner, and manual

Would the "grating" blade be similar to a shredding blade?  I see her shredding cheese, not sure what blade she's using, maybe the small cube?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I have the original; and, the few times that I have used it, it has worked beautifully.  I seem to be challenged with putting it together, so my husband usually does it for me.  I also needed 12 stitches in my hand using a regular mandoline, so I am always hesitant to use anything like that.

I do not regret getting it and have not had the problems others have had.  I personally feel much safer using this one, and I do not have great expectations that it will last a long time due to the price, but it does what I need it to do.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

Have they improved this unit?  Great concept, but didn't work out for me!

I, foolishly, tried to make coleslaw and all at once the machine got clogged up and, though I tried and tried using everything it could think of to clean it out was unable to. Called cust svc to find out if there was a way to take it apart - not. Said I wanted to return it but couldn't clean it. They were very understanding, so I threw the unit in the dump and returned all the blades and spare containers I had purchased.

I shall try to watch today and see if they've changed the design as I would love to have something like this for dicing in particular. But, if they haven't modified the design, I will not get it.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it is a cool gadget...but wondered why no major company has made a similar product...just minor companies most never heard of (check out Amazon). I think I will stick with my food processor.

Respected Contributor

The idea is appealing, but in reality, I want a lot more control than this gadget provides. Maybe if I were doing a lot of dishes involving diced or cubed veg, this would make sense, but I'll hold out for something like the OXO Chef mandoline, which is metal, manual, and allows you to select the thickness of the slices or julienne strips you cut. Although not shown in the picture (K305011), it includes a food pusher and four blades: straight, ruffle, crinkle, and serrated. At some point I'll do a search to find one with the same features for less than $100.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you, Hopi.  You saved me $50 plus s&h. If I had to return, I'd be out over $10. 

Respected Contributor

Dash makes one that looks very similar.  Approx $100.  Check amz dot com.

@Mollie wrote:

I think it is a cool gadget...but wondered why no major company has made a similar product...just minor companies most never heard of (check out Amazon). I think I will stick with my food processor.