Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I'm surprised the TSV is specifically stating from FL.

I've inquired at every food retailer (largest Publix) and was told "honeybells" were not available in FL but they have Sunkist tangelos (CaraCara oranges) from CA.

Watching the presentation the rep is apparently in FL & stated they have their "own" 1000 grove just for Q.  

Hmmmmm strange to me ...JMO especially they are shipped from Harry & David company.

(If I knew they'd be sweet and juicy - instead of demo oranges- I'd buy in a heartbeat🙂).

I heard them say they were a mix of orange and grapefruit, glad they said that, because of my statin medication, I am not allowed any form of grapefruit. So check your medications before you buy. They do look good.

Honored Contributor

Re: TSV - Cushmans

[ Edited ]

@CJC 

Yes I know I drive thru Polk Highway (Route 60)to Tamiani Trail to FL turnpike --  there once been thousands of groves now it's only a Tropicana plant (never looks as though its used but I travel that super early morning 5-6 am") 

Housing & strips malls have replaced all the farmland, ranches & more😥

Of course, we really don't know where the "private groves" are just for QVC...according to rep --- the way news travels I'm sure other growers/stores would be knowledgeable if these are sweet & juicy but more likely "if they were available to at least Floridians" don't you think🤔🤔🤔

(sorry for the bold print my Ipad has gone wonky🤨or maybe the user!😯🙄)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother 

but are they "active" groves -- we have them here also but it's just dead trees☹️☹️☹️

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager 

The only disclaimer they state "they will arrive in Harry & David boxes" I would appreciate QVC honest with customer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1 @They do have their own groves, however, you won't find the groves at a place called Cushman's anymore. They, Harry & David, don't sell to every company. The groves in S. Florida are not the only groves where they grow their fruit. Harry & David own the rights to HoneyBell's name now. They don't just ship from Cushman's. The Cushman headquarters in W. Palm Beach is permanently closed now. The name Honeybell does not appear to be trademarked and was originally just another name for mineolas. 

Just look around for Mineolas. They are the hybrid of Dunkin grapefruit and Dancy tangerine. You can also look for tangelos.  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjKqZi7_4n1AhWCTt8KHfF2BuMQ...

Honored Contributor

562CEA3E-3110-4B4B-9CDB-35BF59659E09.jpeg

Honored Contributor

if you want to try them, TRY THEM!

qvc has a very generous 100% money back guarantee on food and you wont have to return it. nothing to lose.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

There are a number of medications that you cannot eat grapefruit if taking these meds. They should be careful and announce that it is a hybrid cross with grapefruit. I am glad I just happened to tune in when they said that.

The Honeybell man, what is his name, Al??? He was probably ready to retire hence the sale of the brand, whether just the name or whatever grove he was growing in. Or both.

I personally would never pay $42.00 to $62.00 for any fruit! The food prices on QVC are just ridiculous.

On an off-topic, I am SOOO disappointed the hosts went back to eating on air. During quarantine they were prohibited from eating the product, and it was nice not having to watch them make "yum" faces, or talk with food in their mouths. It was just so annoying. I was really hoping that QVC would heed what customers have been complaining about (the eating on air) for so long and continue the quarantine rule of "no host eating".

Al looks healthy and so young (even though he aged well and is not young), good for him on his retirement, but I bet it breaks his heart to see what is happening in FL with all the orange groves being replaced by building. Growing oranges since 1945 (that particular grove) it is such a shame that up and coming generations do not want to take over family business' Smiley Sad

Lots of farmers nationwide are facing the next generation not wanting to take over the family farming business. That is when they sell out, and it is usually to builders who just flattened the land and build more buildings. Not in my lifetime because I am old, but I can see a time in the future when only the good Lord knows where our food will come from when all the food farmers and livestock breeders have to sell out.

Food growers are some of the hardest working people in our country and it is getting more and more difficult to achieve good product with climate change and kids not wanting to continue the family business. It's very sad.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My daughter lives in the Sarasota area and she found them at Detweiler's

honeybells.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma 

picked mine up today at a roadside stand .89/each

spouse & I shared 3 already🙄they are good but not as good in past years.

I'm going to Sarasota next weekend Thankyou I'll check this market.