Respected Contributor

Re: TSV Cushman’s Honeybells Disappointed

[ Edited ]

I do not buy food from any shopping channel or online at all. Once bought the hullless popcorn and it was not hullless and sent it back. That was the one time and the only time I bought a food item. Never again. I shop in actual grocery store!!

Esteemed Contributor

They won’t ship to Arizona, so googled honeybells.  Found out it’s a Florida fancy name for Minneola tangelos.  We have those in abundance large & small.  I used to have two tangelo trees trees in California and miss them.

Contributor

I ordered these oranges several years ago and was completely unimpressed.  They didn't have much flavor at all.  

Contributor

Much smaller than expected. Enclosed literature explains the surface color and flaws, so these were not an issue for me.

BUT, there were so many PITS! Literature says blame it on the bees. Right. In my box of 12 oranges, at least half had no less than 6 pits and up to as many as 16 pits or more PER orange. 

I believe experience tells the packers which oranges are apt to have more pits, so I can only assume they don't care that consumers receive inferior fruit...though we pay a premium!!!

Honored Contributor

This year was my first time ordering and ours were large, juicy, and delicious. We loved them.

I told my friend about them and she ordered us (as a Gift) a 24 piece box from Dundee Groves. They are half the size, half the juice, and taste nothing like Cushmans. 

There really was a major difference so not all Honeybelles are created equal.

Contributor

Although I would not personally purchase food from a shopping channel, my elderly, homebound neighbor did as a gift.  She was so excited to send these honeybells as gifts.  No, we do not live in CAVES OR OUTER SPACE.  We live in a large city.  She is no longer able to drive.  I do her grocery shopping and other errands for her.  I think she was trying to do something nice for some people and used home shopping to do that.  So, I DO feel sorry for people when they are taken by companies who send out a terrible product.  

I would usually never reply to someone's comment, but I'm hoping you'll think of the situations of others before you send out such a mean spirited comment next time.  My neighbor would much rather be able to go out to do her shopping like you.  

Contributor

@elizabethl123 wrote:

WHY  WOULD ANYONE BUY FOOD FROM A SHOPPING CHANNEL   WHERE DO THEY LIVE IN CAVES OR OUTER SPACE    I DO NOT FEEL SORRY WHEN THEY  ORDER AND GET  DISAPOINTED

Although I would not personally purchase food from a shopping channel, my elderly, homebound neighbor did as a gift.  She was so excited to send these honeybells as gifts.  No, we do not live in CAVES OR OUTER SPACE.  We live in a large city.  She is no longer able to drive.  I do her grocery shopping and other errands for her.  I think she was trying to do something nice for some people and used home shopping to do that.  So, I DO feel sorry for people when they are taken by companies who send out a terrible product.  

I would usually never reply to someone's comment, but I'm hoping you'll think of the situations of others before you send out such a mean spirited comment next time.  My neighbor would much rather be able to go out to do her shopping like you.  

Respected Contributor

@elizabethl123 wrote:

WHY  WOULD ANYONE BUY FOOD FROM A SHOPPING CHANNEL   WHERE DO THEY LIVE IN CAVES OR OUTER SPACE    I DO NOT FEEL SORRY WHEN THEY  ORDER AND GET  DISAPOINTED

@elizabethl123, that's kind of cruel to say that.  I ordered them years ago and was disappointed too.  I just don't get them anymore.  It was so long ago, I don't remember if I was reimbursed but people are supposed to tell the truth and we are supposed to take them at face value.  It's what's known as the "Golden Rule".  I know a lot don't abide by this, that's what makes it a shame to not trust.  No, I would not buy anything edible anymore, I was tempted though.  I was gonna buy cakes, cookies, but I have great ones right near us, so I didn't.

Occasional Contributor

The first couple of years we ordered them, they were wonderful.

The last time we got them, they were just as the original poster described---awful.  We haven't ordered them since.  

It didn't help that QVC seemed to purposely wait to ship them until the weather here was horrible, so I would have to work from home to save them from freezing on the porch.  I kind of wondered if they did it on purpose so they could blame the local weather for the awful condition of the product.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Interesting to read this.  I had two sources to buy these.  I bought one box from Harry and David and they were perfect.  I accidentally bought a box from QVC.... I guess I did not remember I had one coming from H&D directly. 

And what a difference.  H and D were perfect.  The ones from QVC were small, and full of seeds.  Lots and lots of seeds.  I called and they refunded my money.  So much for QUALITY control.  NEVER AGAIN!