Honored Contributor

Re: TSV Cushman’s Honeybells Disappointed

@lOVETOSHOP  I ordered Honeybells online quite a few years ago.  They were not all that and a bag of chips. They tasted just okay, but too expensive for just okay.

I just buy locally now....green skin doesn't bother me either if they are sweet and juicy.

Honored Contributor

went to the local farmers market today where the produce is always fresh & good.

Living in FL I asked if they had "honeybells" the guy explained they are called mineolas.  Shaped just like I saw on Q and they were .89/each.  I bought 2 -- yuck!  sour, thin skinned and full of seeds.

I'm yet to find good oranges or grapefruits here☹️

A friend told me to try "CaraCara" oranges by Sunkist from CA -- 

Navel oranges are $1.59/each and terrible too☹️

I have never ordered them from Q but I'm sure they  pick only the juiciest & nicest during the presentations.

Contributor

This was my first order with honey bells...I ordered the try me box and wish I had ordered  the second shipment!  Mine were exceptional and very juicy.   I expected a certain tart as they are not oranges but more of a grapefruit blend.  There were no seeds and for me they are the perfect size for my lunch.  Small orange size.  I would rather have more small ones than four huge size honey bells.  The skins were not perfect...slightly green and blemished, but insides were great.  I am happy and will be ordering again!  

Respected Contributor

@elizabethl123 wrote:

WHY  WOULD ANYONE BUY FOOD FROM A SHOPPING CHANNEL   WHERE DO THEY LIVE IN CAVES OR OUTER SPACE    I DO NOT FEEL SORRY WHEN THEY  ORDER AND GET  DISAPOINTED

@elizabethl123: Wow!!! That's a little harsh, don't you think?

Contributor

I ordered a couple of years ago and was not happy with them.  Decided to try again.  Although they are kind of on the small side, they are very juicy and delicious.  Sounds like I was lucky this time.

Respected Contributor

I’ve been buying Honeybells since QVC started selling them and each year they are different.  Growing conditions often vary widely from year to year as Mother Nature is unpredictable.

Personally, I would never request a refund just because the outside of the fruit was not pretty.  I’ve received many orders where the fruit appears blemished, but the inside (that you eat) is just fine.  Some years the Honeybells are super sweet and extremely juicy; other years they are a bit more tart and may not have as much flavor.  

Either way I still enjoy them.  I notice the same variations in grocery store produce, no matter what the type of fruit is.  My order will be arriving in a couple of days and I am looking forward to it.  I will not request a refund unless the fruit is actually rotten, which is highly unlikely.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Valued Contributor

@homedecor1  I gave Cushman's 2 chances a few years ago.  While the first was good, it didn't warrant the price.  The second came from out west, I think Arizona, and they were awful.  Got a refund and never tried again.  I got 3 mineolas from California at my farm market yesterday.  Total cost 99 cents.  

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

went to the local farmers market today where the produce is always fresh & good.

Living in FL I asked if they had "honeybells" the guy explained they are called mineolas.  Shaped just like I saw on Q and they were .89/each.  I bought 2 -- yuck!  sour, thin skinned and full of seeds.

I'm yet to find good oranges or grapefruits here☹️

A friend told me to try "CaraCara" oranges by Sunkist from CA -- 

Navel oranges are $1.59/each and terrible too☹️

I have never ordered them from Q but I'm sure they  pick only the juiciest & nicest during the presentations.

I love the CaraCara oranges, buy them every year and haven't been dissappointed.  

My parents sent us a box of clementines from Florida and they were great as well.

Valued Contributor

I was lucky this time also. mine are terrific. i ordered them twice before and they were junk. this time i took a gamble. i got a good batch...  Smiley Happy  do they go in the fridge???

Valued Contributor

I have bought them in the past twice and they were horrible. this year i took a gamble. i got them today. they are nice looking and very juicey... i lucked out i guess.