Super Contributor

TSV 2/6/21 Poncho--dumpy or chic?

Just curious to hear your opinions on ponchos, fellow QVC fans. Do ponchos look dumpy or chic. I'm actually surprised they're still in style. Seems like they've been around forever, but maybe I just don't get the attraction for them. I look tubby & sloppy in them, but I'm sure others look cute when they wear them.

Honored Contributor

Re: TSV 2/6/21 Poncho--dumpy or chic?

Not interested in ponchos.  Easy pass for me.

Honored Contributor

I like ponchos but don't wear one because I use a crossbody bag and I find it awkward with a poncho.  Also, IMO, the price is too high for what it is.

Honored Contributor

Not a fan.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

@Sweet Kitties   I think it depends on the size and fabric.  If huge and rough knitted, then it's a pass.  Today's TSV is a go for me, due to the kind of fabric (super light weight and soft) and it's not just a big square with a hole in it, so it's not tons of fabric.  This one is more fitted around the shoulders so it hangs closer to the top of the body.

I have some of their earlier ponchos, and love them.  I've have received compliments when wearing them, so it really depends on how it makes you feel when you wear them. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

I've had several over the years (mostly hippie years), but have never found them figure flattering, unless you're tall, slender and willowy.

They also aren't the best if you're carrying a crossbody, or shoulder bag. It kind of tangles you up.

I don't like my shoulders and arms restricted in any way. A stretchy fabric is the only kind I would ever consider again.

They do feel nice, in cozy fabrics (like BFD's), when you just need something to avoid a light chill. But, so will a sweater, or a throw Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

I think its kind of cute, I think I could wear it with boot cut jeans and something with a heel. Its not something I would wear though. 

I'm surprised they are still in style too, I remember my mom having one probably 40 years ago. With fringe. 

Esteemed Contributor

I like them.  I have two of an earlier BFD style in Cozy Chic.  It's a boat neck and there's just a flow to the fabric and style (asymmetrical) that brings compliments.  They are incredibly easy to wear, and warm when you need it.  Other times they breathe so you don't overheat.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

The poncho is fine, but it's like almost everything else -  it's good for the right body.  I know why it's wrong for my body.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Well...they can look chic...I just find this one to be too bulky looking, not flowy...doesn't look chic to me. 

(Disclaimer...I know I say this a lot, not trying to act like "Ms. fashion expert" but just for reference...)...but I've been a boutique fashion buyer in recent years...we've purchased and seen many a poncho...all were much nicer than this one.  What's been trending in recent years & we sold a lot of were the little cashmere ones, that come in an array of yummy colors...much more fluid looking, sophisticated than this one today. 

We also sold some beautiful alpaca wool ones in fall, and other knit ones that just looked richer than this one.  

So...IF you ladies are in the market for one, I'd say search around...I think there are better ones out there.

Also...I tend to think of them as mostly "transitional Fall" rather than "transitional Spring" looks. We only ever bought the cashmere, lighter weight ones, for over a spring dress or top.