Contributor

I'm fighting the urge to buy one (or two) of these or not. It seems like it could be a good gift for the guys for Christmas, but they might look at it and be like "what the heck do I need that for?" LOL

Do any of you have the one they had last year?  I'm seeing some reviews from people stating that theirs won't hold a charge. 

I really wish the shipping wasn't so high. 

Esteemed Contributor

I purchased three of these last year for our family. I wanted the peace of mind to know that if any of us got stuck that we could charge our battery and get home. Yes, we have AAA but in bad weather you are waiting with everyone else experiencing the same problem. It was the best gift I could give the guys and myself. In fact, when I had a battery problem with my car and my battery would not hold the charge from the FATMAX the garage repair man said that I had a defective battery.  They use FATMAX at his shop. I got my battery replaced for free since I had purchased it there the year before. That tells you what a quality product this is. I then purchased two smaller units for other family members. I did not have a TSV price last year but I viewed it as a security/safety issue. I just don't think you are safe along the side of the road or in a parking lot waiting for help. 

Contributor

Re: Stanley FatMax TSV

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Fressa.  When I asked my mom if she thought this would be a good gift for my dad, she said they didn't need it because they have AAA.  My response was very similar to what you just said.  I asked if they'd rather sit in their car by the side of the road and wait for AAA or if they'd prefer to be able to jump start their own car in minutes and be on their way.   She's one of those people that always thinks things are a waste of money and that they don't need it, but when they do, she's glad they had it

Esteemed Contributor

I  can't beleive they are showing it again...they just had a half hour presentation a little after 11am...I changed the channel and just came and there it is again....ridiculous....I have left again....

Back on topic....I have the Fat Max from a few years ago...I keep it in the house in case we lose power...I would be afaid to use it on the car...not to mention it is way too heavy for me to lug it out of my trunk and back...

Esteemed Contributor

They are nifty IF the machine is where you needed.  However, you have to keep these charged, can't just leave it in your trunk all the time.  And when you charge it, don't place it on bare cement, set it on a brick of wood.  We had one, never used it - gave it away. 

Regular Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

They are nifty IF the machine is where you needed.  However, you have to keep these charged, can't just leave it in your trunk all the time.  And when you charge it, don't place it on bare cement, set it on a brick of wood.  We had one, never used it - gave it away. 

I see these every year and always wonder if we'd really use it. It's a neat item, though. I agree w/another previous poster....they sure are pushing this TSV. They had a 30 min. presentation,had a ladder presentation, then went BACK for another 30 min TSV presentation!  Geez! Smiley Tongue

Trusted Contributor

@judahsma wrote:

Thanks, Fressa.  When I asked my mom if she thought this would be a good gift for my dad, she said they didn't need it because they have AAA.  My response was very similar to what you just said.  I asked if they'd rather sit in their car by the side of the road and wait for AAA or if they'd prefer to be able to jump start their own car in minutes and be on their way.   She's one of those people that always thinks things are a waste of money and that they don't need it, but when they do, she's glad they had it

@judahsma 

I got mine last year and it came in handy multiple times -- charged a dead battery with

no problem; used it for a tire that was slowly losing air before I could get to a repair shop. We do have AAA but was so glad that I had my FatMax handy so that I didnt have to wait an hour for AAA to come. It is kept charged once a month (or after I use it); well worth the $$ for peace of mind IMO.

Honored Contributor

Keep in mind that this needn't be kept in the car, and isn't handy just for jump starting.

My niece and her husband have one, and also use it to put air in tires, blow up sports equipment, etc. as well as jump starting. The power goes out every so often where they are. They can plug appliances into it - think power going out at mealtime. It's versatile.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Super Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Keep in mind that this needn't be kept in the car, and isn't handy just for jump starting.

My niece and her husband have one, and also use it to put air in tires, blow up sports equipment, etc. as well as jump starting. The power goes out every so often where they are. They can plug appliances into it - think power going out at mealtime. It's versatile.

I debated this TSV yesterday for those other reasons you mentioned but ultimately decided against it since the FatMax can only power items that use 500W or less. I noticed in the presentations that he only had a very small blender sitting on the table as an example. But I looked at items in my kitchen and they all use too much wattage for the Fat Max to help out with (NutriBullet, microwave, Keurig).

So the only useful thing I could think of that this would be a power source for would be my cell phone. But for that I could simply buy that Halo charger for a lot less. I wouldn't be plugging a lamp into the FatMax as I have other battery-operated lighting options here that would last longer (I've been in the situation to attest to that unfortunately).

Contributor

I ended up ordering two. One for my elderly parents, and one that's being shipped to me.  I'll feel better knowing my parents will have one....even if they don't think they need it right now.  I may keep the other one for myself. After all, everyone experiences a dead car battery or power outage eventually, so it's probably worth it for peace of mind.