Respected Contributor
Accepted Solution

Something is Off I just can't put my Finger on It!!!

[ Edited ]

I wanted to purchase one of Isaac Mizrahi Live! Scallop Hem Turtleneck Sweater TSV tops but something is off about the design.  The material looks like it will shrink just looking at it.  Also, the design on the sleeve and bottom part of the top seems like its just too much. I have purchased several other items in his line and loved the purchases. So is it just me or is there something off with this top? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Something is Off...I just can't put my Finger on It!!!

I’m not sure about something being off all I can think about is how uncomfortable those sleeves would be in a coat. ❤️

Respected Contributor

@GAQShopr53  I agree.  First, I think the sleeves are unflattering.   On me, they would be closer to 3/4 length and with the bell shape, I think they would make me look wider.  The fabric looks like it will wrinkle and my guess is that it will shrink in length when laundered.  I love a lot of IM sweaters, but this one just looks cheap and poorly designed to me.

Respected Contributor

@Trudey wrote:

@GAQShopr53  I agree.  First, I think the sleeves are unflattering.   On me, they would be closer to 3/4 length and with the bell shape, I think they would make me look wider.  The fabric looks like it will wrinkle and my guess is that it will shrink in length when laundered.  I love a lot of IM sweaters, but this one just looks cheap and poorly designed to me.

I think I got it now...the knit reminds me of Susan Graver's Passport knit which I did not like ..you had to be careful wearing because the knit snagged easily..

Honored Contributor

Re: I just can't put my Finger on It!!!

It would be a good transitional piece but hard to wear with a coat. I pass.

Respected Contributor

I think the sleeve length is not what I think of for a turtleneck. Odd length,  not 3/4 and not long - somewhere in between. Also, I do not get that scalloping either that he has been using on sleeves or hems.

I much prefer a mock turtle anyhow - cleaner look and no rolling up with the collar period. And, I see nothing wrong with straight sleeves or a straight hemline with side slits perhaps or not.

Isaac/his design team or whoever seem to get stuck on something and runs with it - kind of like the old lady-ish  looking laces he uses for just about anything these days. There are far more prettier laces out there to be had.

**For those who liked and purchased, enjoy your new turtleneck. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

I don't like it at all.  I think the scalloped look is too much with the bell sleeves and I hate any top with a high neck to begin with!

Respected Contributor

@CAMOGIRL I think you are correct in regards to the neck...I also prefer a mock neck when wearing turtleneck tops...I guess from the neck to the bottom hem it just seem off to me...I do like the colors!!!

Respected Contributor

Re: Something is Off I just can't put my Finger on It!!!

[ Edited ]

I don't like turtle necks.  It isn't a good look on me.  I have a round, full face and a short neck so I avoid them plus I think most are uncomfortable.  I am so over the bell sleeve look.  They area  nuisance and not all that flattering.

Honored Contributor

Re: Something is Off I just can't put my Finger on It!!!

I agree.

The first thing I thought when I saw it was the scallop on the sleeve and the bottom was just too much. And those sleeves on a sweater just look too big and uncomfortable.

I also would keep pulling that turtleneck away from my neck!

For those big voluminous sleeves, maybe it should be longer, more like a tunic top. It looks like it shrunk!

And last, on some of the models, t looks fitted but on others it looks boxy at the bottom and like the material just hangs.

Wait-now that I look closer online, each model is holding her arm in front or side of her to hold in the material. You can see how there is extra material folding over at the bottom.

I really hate it when they do that-stand or cover up too large sleeves, or a boxy top to make it look like it goes in at the waist etc.

That is just not representing the clothing the way it really is on a person!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"