Trusted Contributor

I am interested in getting either the Echo or Echo Dot.  I am hoping some of you who have one can tell me what the ongoing monthly costs are after the specials expire. They sound really cool, but the last thing I need us another monthly charge. I am hoping it is not too high. 

What features do we lose in the Dot?

And lastly, how do all of you early adapters use your Echo and do you love it?

Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: Some Echo questions here.

I mostly use my Echo to play music.  I use Pandora which is free and my own music which I've bought.  I also have music from Amazon Prime.  I ask her inane questions, temperature outside, how to spell words, latest news.... Nothing very exotic.  There are no on-going monthly costs for me. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

I got the Echo when it was first introduced, when it was “presold” only to Prime members. I’ve never regretted it, and in fact, considered adding a Dot to the household (but eventually decided I didn’t need it.) I use Alexa mostly for music (my Amazon music and Prime music), for timers and alarms (taking a nap and don’t want to sleep past a certain time), trivia or other basic facts,  and occasionally to mess with my kitty (One of the Alexa apps is “Meow, Meow” which is cats meowing. Mine has yet to figure out how those other kitties got into that black cylinder on the table.)

There is no ongoing, monthly (or otherwise) cost the to Echo UNLESS you choose to add an additional service. Here’s my understanding and experience: if you are a Prime member, you can listen to all Amazon Prime music at no additional cost. If you want a bazillion more songs, you can choose to subscribe to the Amazon Music Unlimited program, for which there will be an additional monthly charge. If you aren’t a Prime member, and don’t wish to become one, you can listen to any music you have purchased via Amazon and listen to free internet music stations such as Pandora, etc.

The ‘fun’ stuff Alexa does is at no additional charge (things like timers, answering questions regarding weather or basic facts on a wide range of things (I just ask “her” how tall the Empire State Building was and she told me.) If you want her to control your lights or other home appliances you’ll have to buy the proper outlets so she can control it. But no ongoing costs there.

The Dot doesn’t require that you have an Echo, but it doesn’t have a very good speaker so if sound quality is important to you, you’ll need a better speaker for her to work with (Bluetooth or hard wire/cable.)

Love my Echo. Wouldn’t be without it.

Honored Contributor

I believe I've had my Echo about 3 years as I was in the first group of Prime members to receive one.  If it were to go out, I'd immediately buy another. 

Valued Contributor

So, how do you use Pandora with an Echo?

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Frequent Contributor

I haven't used it, since I have all the music I've wanted via Prime or music I've purchased at Amazon. But here are the instructions from Amazon's site:

"To listen to some streaming music services, you may need to link an existing account from the service to Alexa in the Alexa app.

Some streaming music services require you to link your account to Alexa, such as:

• Spotify Premium
  • iHeartRadio
  • Pandora

Note:

• Some music services are not available on other Alexa-enabled products (manufactured by other companies). Check with the product manufacturer for more information.
  • Spotify playback through Alexa is not available on Amazon Fire TV devices or Fire tablets.

To link the service to your Alexa device in the Alexa app:

1. From the Menu, select the Settings button.
  2. Select Music & Media, and then select a streaming music service.
  3. Select Link account to Alexa. A sign-in page appears in the app.
  4. Sign in using the email address and password for the service. This is not the same as the email address and password for your Amazon account.

If you receive an error message when you try to link your account to Alexa, reset your username and password for the streaming service, and then try to link your account to Alexa again.

Note: Use of streaming music services may be subject to additional terms applicable to the respective service. You can unlink Alexa from a streaming music service at any time by selecting Unlink account from Alexa in the Alexa app."

Honored Contributor

You register with Pandora, set up and account where you select the type of music or performers you want to hear.  You pair the Echo with Pandora, then all you have to do is tell Alexa to play Pandora and she'll play your last station or a new one you specify. 

Honored Contributor

I have the 2nd generation DOT purchased from Q last December.

Use it for getting news from various news sources/outlets from around the world as well as local & national news, listen to talk radio from around the world,  playing my own music straight from iTunes (5000+songs), asking it questions no matter how stupid, as an alarm, as a timer, setting up a "to do" list.  It's my own personal assistant. 

I have a stereo bluetooth speaker which I set up in my kitchen.  My DOT stays in my bedroom.

I am not an Amazon member nor do I own a cell phone so I use the Alexa browser app.

There are no monthly fees and best of all, you do not have to be a member of Amazon (give them your cc info) to use it.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

Thank you all for the information. I'm pretty sure one of these will be in my future since it can be used without a monthly fee.

Respected Contributor

I Love my Echo and Dot!  I had two Echos (one at work and one at home in my kitchen) and a Dot in my bedroom.  I sold one Echo as soon as I saw the Echo Show was coming out.  I want that one!!!  I haven't preordered it yet, but probably will.  Now I have the Echo at work and only my Dot in the kitchen.  

There are no monthly fees for me.  I love mine for the timer, alarm, local weather and shopping list features.  I do use her for spelling more than I like to admit.  She is constantly working for me and she works cheap!  LOL