Respected Contributor

The man representing this candle line continues to wax poetic about his creations yet I read many reviews that say his candles do not live up to the hype or price.  And the lack of quality control needs to be addressed.  His current "Big Deal" candles have blatant mispelling of the word Candle on the label!!   "CANDL" is the way he labels the Evergreen Birchwood and Winterberry Pine.  What kind of CEO would bring products to market with such lack of attention?   I would expect that from dollar store candles not at the prices this man charges.

Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

The man representing this candle line continues to wax poetic about his creations yet I read many reviews that say his candles do not live up to the hype or price.  And the lack of quality control needs to be addressed.  His current "Big Deal" candles have blatant mispelling of the word Candle on the label!!   "CANDL" is the way he labels the Evergreen Birchwood and Winterberry Pine.  What kind of CEO would bring products to market with such lack of attention?   I would expect that from dollar store candles not at the prices this man charges.

The incorrect spelling on a label does not have a thing to do with the quality of his candles

Trusted Contributor

We get it........I think everyone on on here knows you don't like Harry, you don't like China, Jane T, and so many other things because you keep repeating it over and over.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Slatkin Big Deal

[ Edited ]

Wow!  I have watched two of the Big Deal presentations and I didn't notice the way "candle" was spelled (probably because I was just listening and not actually watching).  I do agree with you on this.  That's a pretty big mistake for such a large company to make.  I am considering buying the Peppermint Wreath set, but if I received one of the other two sets that would definitely bother me, as I'm sure it will bother many others.  When the reviews come in, I bet people will mention that and rightfully so.  A mistake like that should not be made.  I'm sure Harry and his team are very aware of it at this point, but it's too late to change it due to the fact that they have been made and shipped from the manufacturer.  They should acknowledge it, but for obvious reasons they won't.

Yes, the misspelling on the labels and quality are two different things, but when people are paying their hard earned money on something, it should be as close to perfect as possible.  An error on a label is something that shouldn't have happened.  It's odd that a candle company has spelled the word, "candle" wrong on their label.  lol 

It is also true that the quality of his candles has gone downhill on many sets in the last year or so.  It's evident in the awful reviews and from the "influencers" on YouTube.  His diehard fans are complaining left and right about these candles and with good reason.  Some sets/scents are amazing and others fall flat.  There are issues with scent, wicks, and burn.  I still buy his candles, but I am much more selective.  It helps that we can now get many of his candles at TJ Maxx, HomeGoods, Marshall's, etc. When possible, I smell them in person and buy from those stores.

Trusted Contributor

I just find it funny myself. I don't usually by Slatkin candles due to the cost. I prefer BathandBody to purchase candles as I can get them on sale for half the cost of his. There was definitely an error by someone and Harry comes across as someone that would be very upset about this.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@rms1954 wrote:

@Reever wrote:

The incorrect spelling on a label does not have a thing to do with the quality of his candles

Yes, but it has to do with some aspect of "quality" in this brand. I have many, many Slatkin candles stockpiled and for the most part have liked my purchases...a few scents just weren't for me. But come on, I find this spelling error on a Big Deal candle offering uber embarrassing to say the least! 

Speaking of embarrassing, what if someone buys it as a gift and doesn't even pay that much attention to the label. They wrap it up and give it as a nice present to someone only to find out afterwards that a candle maker can't even spell the word candle correctly! 😲  

Hmmm, I guess those strict quality assurance standards that QVC has touted for so long are a thing of the past....if they ever even existed to begin with.😏

Respected Contributor

Has anyone actually received one of these candles with the incorrect spelling on the label? Or is it an assumed problem based on the photo of a couple of the candles?

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Etoile308 wrote:

Has anyone actually received one of these candles with the incorrect spelling on the label? Or is it an assumed problem based on the photo of a couple of the candles?

In all fairness I know it is a small detail and doesn't affect quality of smell or burn and I acknowledge perhaps QVC chose to use a few defected ones as samples however it remains a quality control issue, QVC prided itself on quality control back in the 90s testing and retesting items thousands of times to ensure they meet their standards,  I've ordered a few items specifically from Bethlehem Lights that would not have passed QVCs stringent standards when Barry Diller ran the show. Kathy Levine would bring home products  herself and test them. We need to return to that era.

Trusted Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Etoile308 wrote:

In all fairness I know it is a small detail and doesn't affect quality of smell or burn and I acknowledge perhaps QVC chose to use a few defected ones as samples however it remains a quality control issue, QVC prided itself on quality control back in the 90s testing and retesting items thousands of times to ensure they meet their standards,  I've ordered a few items specifically from Bethlehem Lights that would not have passed QVCs stringent standards when Barry Diller ran the show. Kathy Levine would bring home products  herself and test them. We need to return to that era.

Why would she need to do that, if the company did "testing and retesting" of items thousands of time? Ms. Levine was the queen of sales, and spiels, for sure.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Contributor

I have ordered many HS candled and love them. The only reason I didn't order the "Big Deal" is that I don't see the value once you add in ths shipping.