Honored Contributor

I have two shark vacuum cleaners  and love them both. One is the rocket, with the cool attachments and the other is not a rocket and it doesn't have any attachments.  I love that one for every day vacuuming, because living on the beach I am forever vacuuming up sand. I've never had a Dyson, or even tried one in the stores. However I do have two Dyson fans and they ROCK, which makes me question if I would love the Dyson vacuum cleaner just as much. 

Have any of you tried both the shark and the Dyson? If so which do you prefer and why? I'd love your input today while the Dyson is a today special value. 

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

i have both brands.

happy with them.   each work well and last.

i have pets.

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Super Contributor

My Mom purchased a Dyson last year (might have been off the Q, don't remember) and she loves it. I have used it while at her home helping out and I must say it is awesome.

However, I have a Shark (owned for 5+ years now) and I found them to be comparable in quality. I absolutely love my Shark and when I purchase a new vacuum  some time next year (want to move my current one upstairs and keep one for downstairs only) it will be another Shark.

hope that helped! don't think you will go wrong with either but for $$ my vote goes to Shark

Never mistake kindness for weakness
Honored Contributor

@SurferWife,   I just purchased and received the Shark Rocket Ultralight Handheld.  You can use it like a regular vacuum or handheld.  It is awesome.  The suction is outstanding.  It has a 5 year warranty vs. 3 yr. with Dyson.  I paid $129 and change at QVC and 5 easy pays and with the shipping charge it is still less than anyone out there.  So happy I made this purchase.  Why should I pay $300 + when I can pay $250 less and have an excellent product.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I have had both, returned Dyson too heavy and did not do a good job.  Love my Shark...lightweight and picks up all the hair from my furbaby.   Just my opinion...

Valued Contributor

I purchased my Shark through QVC and after using it one time, gave away my Oreck.

In terms of cost and ease of use, I feel my Shark is the tops - I enjoy using it each time I vacuum and would buy it again if mine should go kaput.

Honored Contributor

Wow! Thank you ladies for all your valuable feedback. If I could I'd have to select all your responses as the best reply. I think I'll stick with my shark! Like I said in my original post I love my sharks, I have no complaints whatsoever. The cordless feature of the Dyson was intriguing me, so perhaps I should do my research to see if Shark has a cordless option. Thanks again for all your input. Aloha! 

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Esteemed Contributor

Several years ago I bought a Dyson from BB&B. It broke the first week. They replaced that one and it broke the first time I used it. Returned it and bought a Shark. I don't even have carpeting, only tile and wood floors and a few throw rugs. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Shark vs. Dyson

[ Edited ]

I have both.  The shark is corded -- the Dyson is not.  For that reason I MUCH prefer the Dyson.  I hate dealing with cords.  The Dyson is always there -- ready to use.  JMO.  I should add though that it depends on what you want to use it for.  We have a housekeeper so I don't vacuum the whole house.  For that I would definitely prefer the corded Shark.  I use the vacuums only for quick things like the kitchen floor or vacuuming up litter.

Honored Contributor

One big difference; the Dyson is repairable should something go wrong, the Shark is not. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment