Respected Contributor

We all complain about the boring, endless hours of things like Serta mattresses.... I never thought I'd be seriously contemplating purchasing one, haha.

I'm thinking about a Queen set for my mom -- watched one presentation. The difference in price is striking compared to the Serta website and this makes it very enticing, but I can't find any reviews on this mattress. In one of the Q&A's, an RN weighed in with a very negative opinion and that may be enough for me to walk away, but I was hoping some of you may have experience with this mattress. TIA.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a Serta (not this one) up until last year when I got rid of it for a memory foam bed. I hated that bed. I would wake up every morning aching from head to toe. It would take me most of the day to get rid of the stiffness in my neck and back. Even though it was only four years old out it went. Love my memory foam bed. For the first time in years I can sleep on my side without pain. I couldn't do that on my Serta. I would never ever buy a bed from TV. One needs to try it out first.

Honored Contributor

The mattress companies are probably the sneakiest at deceptive practices.  They make it impossible to compare prices because the same mattress has a different name and fabric cover at each retailer.  Trying a bed out in the store is also pretty much a waste of time.  I have to  lie there for hours before I know whether it's going to cause me to ache and have pain.   A mattress is a hard thing to buy and a mistake can be very costly. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Agree @Kachina624. I've already been to the store and can't make a decision based upon 5 minutes on each mattress, especially taking into account how many people have tried out the showroom samples.

I also have to wonder if the $300 difference in price might mean some "defect" in these or that they're not made with the same materials as the more expensive mattress on the Serta web site. That's the cynic in me.

Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina

I would say NOT to purchase the mattress on-line.

Years ago, mattresses were owned and produced the individual companies, ie, Sealy, Serta, Simmons (the "S" companies). These companies were sold to investors/hedge funds - who only care about making lots of money selling mattresses - many are overpriced, poor workmenship and uncomfortable. Many companies put a lot of foam in the mattresses, making them HOT -- and they start to sink after a while.

I saw the Serta TSV on the Q this morning - mattress is 12" high and the boxspring is 9" high = 21" tall. I recently went to my local mattress store and purchased a Simmons Beautyrest Silver Luxury Firm, Queen-Size Mattress (Firm is medium/firm). My mattress is 13" high --- and the boxspring in the showroom was 9" high = 22" tall. I'm short (4'10") and the salesman custom-ordered a boxspring 5" tall (lowering it 4"). My mattress also has the "cooling" feature - never gets hot - there's also less FOAM in the mattress. My salesman told me I can exchange the mattress within 3 months if I'm not happy. So far, I love the mattress.

QVC has one size fits all boxspring --- and short people would have to climb up onto the bed if they're not aware.

YES - lots of people get ripped off buying mattresses -- because u have to trust the salesman. It's best to go to ur local mattress store (check out a few) and the salesman will direct u. Before u go, check out the mattress stores on Yelp for the reviews. Also google ur local stores to see if there are complaints.

Before spending lots of money - u have to do ur homework.

Costco has mattresses on their site --- any problems, they take them back - even after 30 days.

Google mattress complaints-- there are thousands!!!! 

Don't recommend pillow-top -- they sink.

Esteemed Contributor

@SaRina

you'll never be able to understand what ur buying, price, quality, etc. Yes --- it's all to confuse the shopper.

Respected Contributor

I bought the Serta TSV last year around this time.  It's essentially a Hilton spec'ed model with a different cover and a different name and an upgraded box spring.  I know because I worked for Hilton franchisee at the time.  I paid less than for mine from QVC than we bought them for in bulk (think beds for 150 room properties) from Serta by a few hundred dollars.  I've been very happy with my purchase, but I also have enough experience shopping for mattresses that I knew what I was getting.

New Contributor

RollTideRoll, What is the name of the mattress you bought from QVC a year ago?

Contributor

I got the Serta Perfect Sleeper Private Luxury 12 1/2" Eurotop from QVC in October 2015.  I like it fine and sleep well.  I have to agree with another poster, though - I am 5'7" but long torso/short legs.  The bed was taller than I expected and it took me a while to get used to it.  

Respected Contributor

Well, the day came and went, and I didn't buy. I'm the last person to buy a big ticket item from tv, so I went with my gut.... and your input. 

I've already been to Sleepy's without a decision. I think my next stop will be Macy's.

Thanks again.