Regular Contributor

Re: Seriously! A turkey roast with 2 sides for $100?

[ Edited ]

I think it looks delicious, and would be very nice for a small family that can afford the pricetag.  Not sure why so many people are offended by this item when they wouldn't even consider buying it.

Honored Contributor

If you think the price is outrageous, simply don't buy it.  No need to fault others who choose to buy the product, whatever it may be.

Honored Contributor

@Barb114 wrote:

The price of this is absolutely ridiculous. But QVC will pitch anyone and anything to make money.  After all, let's not forget MS is a convicted felon. She is obnoxious with zero personality. But I guess there are people that will buy and buy and buy

Of course they are "pitching it". It's the TSV! They do this every single day. Nothing new. I hope everyone realizes that QVC is a retailer and that is what they do. Sell products to make money. Very simple solution, if you don't want it, don't buy, if you do want it buy. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

janis--so nice you are concerned about my possible embarrassment---but don't be!!  I don't get swayed by anything----if it benefits me, then thats---a good thing---- if I decided to order, it is on me, ok!??  And good on you, to do all the cooking and buying and serving a huge turkey dinner--I am not into that anymore. Did that for over 40 years and it was way over $100 just for the food not to mention all the prep and and all the other stuff that goes with it.

BTW--- I found the ingredients list and the sodium in the bird is extremely low---now the others are full of fat ------as should be expected for being the holidays.

Honored Contributor

lipstick--I thought that comment was funny and I was not in the least, offended by it----some folks just get so outraged over silly things----

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been on the fence about this since I received the e-mail.  At first, I thought that the price was outrageous.  Then, I started looking at how much a farm-raised turkey breast costs from our local farmers.  Much different than the leading brand and much better tasting and healthier.  In  the past, DH's employer provided a free turkey from Butterball and they had absolutely no taste.  Nothing like what I remember from my a childhood when we got our turkeys from a butcher.  Now, DH is working for a much larger company (a buy-out), and probably no free turkey.  Works for me.

What gives me  pause from the cost is the sides.  We are really picky about them, no one here eats stuffing, and sides can be fairly inexpensive.   A local restaurant offers a similar dinner at about the same price as the TSV, but includes gravy, more sides, and desserts.  So, it appears that the TSV price is similar to what is found in the local market depending on the quality of turkey.

No one should ridicule anyone who decides to purchase today's TSV or make judgements about them.  Everyone has a different circumstance, difference of opinion, and can make their own decisions as to whether this is for them.  I would be more concerned about walking outside my door than what ingredients are in the sides.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I don't think that price is really outrageous at all. I tried to find what the turkey is made with but didn't see the ingredients.  I believe she said it came from a local farmer and they don't inject that garbage into their birds.However if it is coming from Martha, I'm sure it is a good quality. And 2 lbs of sides plus the butter---not bad . I know that buying a grocery store turkey breast that size is well over $30 and thats just a store brand--and full of garbage. And for me, not having to cook or bake is a huge plus. Just don't know what the sodium content is---these chefs always over seson with salt, for my taste. I happen to like Martha--when she cooks----I may give it a trry. Can always get my $$ back too.

@wagirl

I agree with you that the price is not that outrageous.  It just depends on if people are willing to pay for the convenience of having to prepare everything.  For me, I would pay for this meal because I do not like to cook.  I like that you can choose the sides that you want.

The nutritional info for just the turkey says it has 65mg of sodium per 4oz.  serving. The ingredients are listed as whole turkey breast, salt and pepper.  The herb butter has 190mg of sodium per 1 Tablespoon serving.  Don't know if that helps you figure out if it will be too salty for you.

Valued Contributor

I think this might be the all time high for fleecing the QVC consumer and thinking we are all that dumb.  Totally out of line pricing.  They are just cramming Martha Stewart down our throats, she is on the cover of this month's Insider magazine-yuk!  Wonder what they'll do with all the rotting poultry???

Honored Contributor

@Janis Irene wrote:

Wagirl, don't embarrass yourself by serving that for Thanksgiving. You're being swayed just because Martha Stewart & QVC are pushing it. I really don't know where you live, but I can make an entire turkey dinner---with a huge turkey, lots of sides, & pie for less than $100.  

@Janis Irene  You are lucky.  But is you only got part of the day off, were taking care of someone, had to drive 3 hours for a meal with elderly parents, or a lot of other reasons, it might be a bargain to you, especially on a holiday.  We all have different needs, resources and things we simply can and cannot do.

You are one of the lucky ones if you have time and a place to cook a big meal and serve it.  That's out of the question for a lot of us.

Super Contributor

A hundred dollars.  Absolutely hilarious.  QVC has completely lost touch with their customer base.

I just bought a fresh turkey breast at Wegmans yesterday-----for $2.99 a pound.   

Carry on.