Regular Contributor

Anyone buying or purchased in the past?  I need a mattress....downsizing from king to queen.....so need a box spring also.  That will increase my cost naturally.  I haven't come across reviews so want some info before investing in both pieces or a platform bed.

Respected Contributor

Re: Scott Living Mattress

[ Edited ]

I read some reviews this morning when I clicked on the king size. I need one too but think I'll pass. How in the world would you send it back, it won't fit in the box again. 

The reviews mostly say that it doesn't hold up with sinking in it, I have that problem now with the one I bought 6 years ago. 

I forgot to mention how does a single gal lift the box, carry it to the bedroom and get rid of the old mattress. I don't have help and it cost money to get all that done which is why I still have my old mattress. It's a problem. 

Honored Contributor

just me, but I wouldn't buy a mattress that I couldn't try out first, to me that outweighs the difference in pricing 

Respected Contributor

TO those who question how to get the heavy box to the bedroom and the old mattress out.....use furniture sliders!!

Of course, if there are stairs to deal with, you'd be out of luck.

I live in a ranch house with attached two car garage. I used the sliders to move the box up the hall and the queen size double pillowtop down the hall to the garage, where I set it up in the bay where my one car isn't.

I "saved" my old mattress until I'm SURE the new one holds up, and then it will go to the burn pile this spring, where there is a huge pile of sticks and branches from this winter's wind storms....

So far I really like my mattress in a box. I bought the Northern Nights TSV queen mattress for 400.00.

I live alone and some negative reviews said it was very firm, which is what I wanted. It's a hybrid also, and so far, since Nov . 2019, it's holding up fine and is very comfortable.

I see they lowered the prices on these Scott mattresses.

Here's my thought. Instead of paying thousands for a new bed, I will buy these new generation mattresses and use them til they wear out. After all, if you spend 2000.00 and get rid of it in 10 years, that's 200/year.

I'd rather buy the Northern Nights queen (or other brand) for 400. If it fails after two years I 'll buy the new technology at that time.  Same cost...200/year.

They are making vast improvements to these boxed mattresses, because people are sick and tired of spending thousands for a bed, pushed by high pressure sales people who up-sell.

I used my existing box spring...works just fine.

I'd be a little worried if I were a mattress salesperson. I think these are going to put B+M  and gimmick mattresses out of business.

Actually, I've changed my mind on several things as far as "lifetime" items. I'd rather spend less and buy the newest after the newest get tried out for a while and the prices come down.  Every day shoes and boots come to mind.

Although I did just purchase the TSV Le Creuset buffet pan!!!

Honored Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 wrote:

I read some reviews this morning when I clicked on the king size. I need one too but think I'll pass. How in the world would you send it back, it won't fit in the box again. 

The reviews mostly say that it doesn't hold up with sinking in it, I have that problem now with the one I bought 6 years ago. 

I forgot to mention how does a single gal lift the box, carry it to the bedroom and get rid of the old mattress. I don't have help and it cost money to get all that done which is why I still have my old mattress. It's a problem. 

@luvmyteddy4.  I don't like the idea of these "hybrid" mattresses; I'd want 100% memory foam, which is likely to be more durable.  I already have one memory foam mattress and love it.

I'm an older single woman and managed to drag it from the front door to the bedroom by myself, about 30 ft.  It was heavy; the hardest part was unwrapping and removing the plastic.  I paid a junk dealer to haul off the old mattress.  Where there's a will, there's a way.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Othereeeen 

in what part of the country do you live where you can just burn stuff,

if you tried that here you'd be the newspaper or jail 

Respected Contributor

Very rural Western PA. THere are no burning restrictions that I know of for fabrics and cottons.

I live in a rural area. Beleive me.....people burn tires and all kinds of stuff, which I do not.

I am careful of what I burn and don't put used motor oil, gasoline, tires or household garbage on the fire. Just sticks and an very occasional peice of stuff like a mattress or peice of furniture made of natural materials.

At the end a pile of metal springs remain, that I out at the curb for weekly pickup.

Hope this helps. I know burning is prohibited in more urban areas.

Respected Contributor

Our local weekly garbage will pick up anything I put out there...mattress toilets whatever! LOL I'd be concerned about the toxic fumes coming off of a mattress if I burned it.  

I'd pass on this TSV as you can't try it out and how are you going to send it back? It won't EVER go back in that box....perhaps CS could tell you if they will come to your home and haul it away if you want a refund??

Good luck if you do buy.

Respected Contributor

After the poor quality Scott Brothers sheets I received, I will never order another Scott Brothers product. One of the worst purchases from QVC!🤮

Esteemed Contributor

@skyblue wrote:

After the poor quality Scott Brothers sheets I received, I will never order another Scott Brothers product. One of the worst purchases from QVC!🤮

I purchased towels and they are OK for the TSV price I got them for.  Christmas wreath and sheets from last year, horrible.  No more products from them either, they are like obnoxious snake oil salesmen IMO. I choose not to watch them at all