Esteemed Contributor

SUNDAY TSV...10/30/16...KINDLE FIRE

Anyone purchasing ????

Respected Contributor

Re: SUNDAY TSV...10/30/16...KINDLE FIRE

I'm not but am going to offer my opinion on it.  I have this tablet. Amazon has its own app store called Amazon Underground. Their store does not have all the apps that Apple or Google Play has...for example Kohl's and a local news channel that I enjoy, but I can use the browser (Silk) to go the websites. The apps also don't update frequently, and there is no way to update them unless Amazon is offering the update.

I got mine on Amazon for $39.99, and they run this sale quite frequently. The cases that are being included with the TSV are not the Amazon-branded case designed to go with this tablet, which I have. That case is $25 but can be found for less from time-to-time. So if you only need one, you could wait until Amazon is running one of their frequent sales on the tablet and get it and a non-Amazon branded case for $55 w/no tax or shipping.

I like this tablet for a reader (the size is great for that purpose), and that is about it. There is no easy way to turn wi-fi off and on unless you use the airplane mode. I actually downloaded an app that I can use to quickly turn wi-fi on and off. I find the tablet to be PAINFULLY slow. I also find the color to be muted and dull, and there is no way to change the color contrast or bump it up. Another thing that I don't like is that it doesn't have voice recognition. So if you're used to speaking a search term or dictating a Facebook private message or email or anything for that matter, you are out of luck. I knew that when I bought it but did not realize how much I use voice recognition.

I finally sideloaded Google Play to get a bit more functionality out of it, but I have had to customize this tablet so much, that I most likely will not buy another Fire tablet.

To summarize, if you are just wanting a cheap tablet to use as a reader and occasional internet use, the Amazon Fire will work albeit slowly and not with the best display. Amazon had a special a couple of months ago that included the tablet, the Amazon-branded case (which is quite nice), AND a screen protector for $62. I would either watch for this special again or buy the tablet when it is on sale for $39.99 and build my own package.

If you only need one tablet, and you're thinking of getting the TSV, I strongly advise you to use that $100 (w/tax and shipping) on a nice Android tablet, which will have better speed, a better display, and Google Play...or if you're so inclined...get the Apple iPad mini, which is one of the best, imo. You can go to Best Buy to look at all tablets and see what is out there.

Honored Contributor

No, not if they're only offering 8GB and it's not HD.

I mostly use my Fire for playing games, taking notes in meetings, and watching videos, so I need more storage for games and HD graphics. It comes with expandable storage, but they usually never mention that the OS doesn't allow you to move apps to the additional storage, only things like pictures, documents, and video/audio files.

I will probably upgrade to the Fire HD 8.

Esteemed Contributor

Tgbtg....I want to thank you for the in depth description and its problems ....I have two Android tablets now...and a Nook...two of them are giving me problems...they are old tablets...

I have always thought the Kindle was top of the line tablet so I was toying with purchasing one....but now I think I will just stick with what I have been using....and save my money...till another Android comes along....on sale....

Thanks, again....

Respected Contributor

@circles wrote:

Tgbtg....I want to thank you for the in depth description and its problems ....I have two Android tablets now...and a Nook...two of them are giving me problems...they are old tablets...

I have always thought the Kindle was top of the line tablet so I was toying with purchasing one....but now I think I will just stick with what I have been using....and save my money...till another Android comes along....on sale....

Thanks, again....

You are certainly welcome. I'm sure the more expensive Amazon tablets are faster with a better display, but I really miss the Google Play Store and the Apple store. (I have an android tablet as well as an Apple iPad Mini.) And like I said, compared to my other two tablets, the Amazon Fire 7 is SO SLOW. I'm typing this message on it now and am glad that it needs to be charged so that I can switch to one of my other tablets. Lol

Valued Contributor

I would not recommend the one coming up on the TSV. We purchased it from the other channel when they had the buy 2 deal and I am not impressed with this one compared to my galaxy tab 4. The resolution is kind of fuzzy and one of them is REALLY tricky to charge. I would have sent them back if I hadn't waited too long. Don't get me wrong, I like kindles, but this is the cheapo one. If you get one, spring for one of the larger better res ones and you'll be much happier - or a samsung galaxy tab - those are great.

Valued Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

No, not if they're only offering 8GB and it's not HD.

I mostly use my Fire for playing games, taking notes in meetings, and watching videos, so I need more storage for games and HD graphics. It comes with expandable storage, but they usually never mention that the OS doesn't allow you to move apps to the additional storage, only things like pictures, documents, and video/audio files.

I will probably upgrade to the Fire HD 8.

Agreed - the lack of HD I didn't think would be a big deal but IT IS. I am not impressed with this model at all.

Honored Contributor

No, not getting it. Seems android tabs are becoming a dime a dozen these days. There are so many better options than this Kindle. Personally I would rather buy a Windows tab.

Respected Contributor

If anyone wants an awesome Kindle Fire, get the

"All-New Fire HD 8 Tablet, 8" HD Display" from Amazon. It is $89 and well worth it!  Just go check it out.  I own it and love it. You get a lot for your money,  It has a great screen, battery life and sound.  Just put what I have it quotes above in the Amazon search bar. 
Occasional Contributor

I believe this is the old model, as the new one is 8 inches & in HD, if i'am correct this is the same bundle they sold on HSN around this time last year....