Respected Contributor

Re: Ryka Sneakers

[ Edited ]

I just purchased them in the gray!  I need a fresh new walking sneaker, and I just haven't gotten into my usual local sneaker store (which I will do too this spring...they are a real "specialty" shop with very helpful "runners" staff...I get my Brooks there.) But I certainly can use these Ryka too.

As to their quality...I've always been very happy with Ryka, quality, support, comfort. I have an older hiking boot I've had for 10 years...still LOVE them, and still feel/look like new (not that I wear them all the time, just on hikes...so they've lasted.) I've also had many a skimmer (sure wish they'd offer another that looked like the skimmers of old again...they haven't for years.) And years ago I had what was then sold as an "aerobic" sneaker.  Have loved them all.

I'm hoping this TSV is the same and not "cheaped out" in any way to get the TSV pricing. Also hope sizing is actually true to size...I'm a 6 1/2 and have always ordered 6 1/2 and usually it's fine, but occasionally Ryka can feel like it runs on the shorter side. Still I'd start with your normal size.

Good luck! What color are you thinking?  I liked the white (afraid it may get dirty faster) and the pale aqua, and the black. All the colors are nice depending on what you wear most. I have some workout/walking clothing the gray will go nice with.

Honored Contributor

Re: Ryka Sneakers

[ Edited ]

My last 3 pair of "gym" shoes have been Ryka's and I've been very happy with them.  I'm not a hard exerciser.  My main exercise is walking and some HIIT workouts.  

I find them to be supportive for me and well made.  I am not a person that likes all that memory foam inside of shoes.  That causes my feet to slide inward in the shoe. That's one of the reason I like Rykas.  They don't have that thick memory foam.  I had a terrible time with the Skechers gym shoes I bought for that reason.

I find I need to replace mine anywhere from 8-12 months depending on how often I'm walking and the surface I'm walking on.  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

About 15 years ago, Ryka's were my go to shoes.
But the sizing and quality is no longer consistent.
I think they changed manufacturers. I've had to return too many pairs, so I no longer buy. 

Esteemed Contributor

The Ryka sneakers have the usual sneaker support. My issue is that in the past few years, they've made the toe box so narrow, it feels like you're wearing a banana peel on your foot; thin and narrow. I have medium width feet, but the last 4 pairs of sneakers had to be returned due to them being so tight and narrow in the toe box. I ordered these today and hoping they're not another bust. Skimping on material is not cool when it comes to sneakers.

Esteemed Contributor

@deeva wrote:

About 15 years ago, Ryka's were my go to shoes.
But the sizing and quality is no longer consistent.
I think they changed manufacturers. I've had to return too many pairs, so I no longer buy. 

Same here - very frustrating. They went to narrow sizing, skimping on the material. 

Respected Contributor

I have 3 pair of Ryka.  The less expensive pair is not nearly as comfortable or well made as the others and I don't wear them.  They are more "flat" feeling, don't have the arch support and are shorter.  I have 2 pair of the Devotion style and those are the shoes that I wear most often.  They are well cushioned and supportive.  More $$ tho but well worth it.  You could go to the Zappos website and read the reviews on the different styles.

I do have to go up 1/2 size.

Honored Contributor

Ryka is all I wear but I don't consider them good quality.

I bought a pair at DSW a couple of years ago.   I never wore walking shoes. I don't like the look of lace up shoes,  I usually wore slip on Grasshoppers or something like that but I liked the look of the Ryka & the cardiologist is always after me to WALK.

I don't have any foot issues, bought my normal size and enjoyed wearing them but they didn't last long.

When it came time to replace, I went to Academy Sports with the idea any brand, any style, any price as long as they fit well & were comfortable.

I literally tried on every shoe there.    I bought another pair of Ryka.    Ryka is not the best but it's the best for me.

Esteemed Contributor
I like Ryka. It these look a little too chunky for my taste
Trusted Contributor

@SurferWife 

I bought the Skywalk 2 ones that were a TSV last May. I loved them so much I bought another pair of Ryka's a few months ago. I had 2 foot surgeries & they are so comfortable. I don't know how this style compares but the ones I have are very well made & support my feet.  My podiatrist even commented that Ryka was a good brand of footwear. This is a great price- mine were much more. I don't need another pair but I'm very tempted to order the charcoal grey ones. 

Trusted Contributor

@Effie54 Have you tried the wide sizes? The TSV has a good selection of normal & wide sizes.