Trusted Contributor

Re: Roberta’s TSV - February 1, 2024

@Sweet Kitties  I hear you!  I love gardening too, and walking the aisles at garden centers in the spring is my little piece of Heaven.  I garden in Ohio (way too early) and in Florida (beginning to plant perennials now). The big box stores in FL label their heat loving plants with a tag that says Florida Sun. This was so helpful when we first moved here because the intense sun from May to Oct will stress just about any flowering perennial or annual. 

Trusted Contributor

@GloriBee wrote:

I appreciate all the comments here and I agree with those who say we can easily buy at our local garden centers or garden department at Lowe's or Home Depot.  I only watched a little of the video, but I heard the Roberta's rep say that these are "winter hardy perennials".  I was wondering if the experienced gardeners here know if Gerber Daisies are "winter hardy", in general, or is this just true of this Roberta's variety? I live in the northeast, so it is important to know if the ones I might purchase locally would survive the winter.  

I have never purchased plants from QVC, but I love Gerber/Gerbera Daisies!

Thanks for your help!

Gloria

Not hardy here in Ohio, way too cold, or in Florida, way too hot.  I did have some survive the winter when we lived in S Carolina. 

Super Contributor

i only plant native plants according to my zone

got to help out the bees, butterflies & insects. 

and i like to support my local business, so this is a no-go for me.

Frequent Contributor

GloriBee - Winter survival depends on the plant variety, hardiness zone you live in, and location of the plant in your yard.  I suggest mulching the plant with either untreated pine bark or leaves over the winter for at least the first year.  I protect my Mediterranean herbs every winter with untreated pine bark.

Trusted Contributor

We have had good luck with Roberta’s plants. We do as the detailed directions state though.
Honored Contributor

@GloriBee wrote:

I appreciate all the comments here and I agree with those who say we can easily buy at our local garden centers or garden department at Lowe's or Home Depot.  I only watched a little of the video, but I heard the Roberta's rep say that these are "winter hardy perennials".  I was wondering if the experienced gardeners here know if Gerber Daisies are "winter hardy", in general, or is this just true of this Roberta's variety? I live in the northeast, so it is important to know if the ones I might purchase locally would survive the winter.  

Thanks for your help!

Gloria

@GloriBee.  During the presentation last night, the vendor said they're hardy down to 0°F, especially with about 6" of mulch.  I very much doubt that but it's what she claimed.

I'm pretty good with plants, used to have a big greenhouse with over 100 varieties of Bromeliads. but absolutely cannot grow Gerber Daisies.   I've had them die within 24 hours of purchase.  Needless to say, I'm not tempted by these.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@GloriBee  It's only been within the past few years that I've heard of "winter hardy" Gerber daisies - especially in zone 6.If you get the, I would also recommend (as did others on this thread) that you mulch and protect them from the frost and cold. 

But, they also don't like extreme heat. They tend to wilt and look bad when the temps stay above 85 for an extended period of time. I'm thinking last summer in PA. 

I'm not planning on investing in 5 of these plants. Maybe I'll try one or two from my local garden center. I trust the owner, and he'll give me good advice.

Valued Contributor

Gloria I have bought many plants off QVC through the years and have a pretty good success. Especially if the flower/plant is from Proven winners. I'm in Michigan SE. One of their nurseries in on 2 roads over from my last house. So they always work. Gerber Daisy's are pretty hearty. I would try them. If they die, all you have to do is call the number on the pamphlet you get and they replace it. Usually with little older plant than your original.
Regular Contributor

@hopi  We bought Robertas last year and none of the plants survived. I believe if you truly love flower gardening, there is no substitute for browsing at the nursery where u can smell and touch, see the flowers. Television will never replace that feeling.

Trusted Contributor

@CJC wrote:

@GloriBee wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Gloria

Not hardy here in Ohio, way too cold, or in Florida, way too hot.  I did have some survive the winter when we lived in S Carolina. 

@CJC , thank you!  That is good to know.  We have similar weather hear--very cold and then very hot in the summer.