Trusted Contributor

Re: Roberta’s TSV - February 1, 2024

@Northerngal wrote:

GloriBee - Winter survival depends on the plant variety, hardiness zone you live in, and location of the plant in your yard.  I suggest mulching the plant with either untreated pine bark or leaves over the winter for at least the first year.  I protect my Mediterranean herbs every winter with untreated pine bark.

@Northerngal , thank you for this very useful info about mulching!  I am not  gardener.  Just a few plants here and there,  So, that does give me pause for thought.  

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@GloriBee wrote:

I appreciate all the comments here and I agree with those who say we can easily buy at our local garden centers or garden department at Lowe's or Home Depot.  I only watched a little of the video, but I heard the Roberta's rep say that these are "winter hardy perennials".  I was wondering if the experienced gardeners here know if Gerber Daisies are "winter hardy", in general, or is this just true of this Roberta's variety? I live in the northeast, so it is important to know if the ones I might purchase locally would survive the winter.  

I have never purchased plants from QVC, but I love Gerber/Gerbera Daisies!

Thanks for your help!

Gloria

@GloriBee.  During the presentation last night, the vendor said they're hardy down to 0°F, especially with about 6" of mulch.  I very much doubt that but it's what she claimed.

I'm pretty good with plants, used to have a big greenhouse with over 100 varieties of Bromeliads. but absolutely cannot grow Gerber Daisies.   I've had them die within 24 hours of purchase.  Needless to say, I'm not tempted by these.

@Kachina624 , thank you for the info!  Your greenhouse sounds amazing!  It says something that the Gerbers failed with your green thumb (pun intended Woman Very Happy).  As I mentioned above, I am not a gardener and, if I am being honest, I am pretty lazy about plants!  Woman Happy

Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@GloriBee  It's only been within the past few years that I've heard of "winter hardy" Gerber daisies - especially in zone 6.If you get the, I would also recommend (as did others on this thread) that you mulch and protect them from the frost and cold. 

But, they also don't like extreme heat. They tend to wilt and look bad when the temps stay above 85 for an extended period of time. I'm thinking last summer in PA. 

I'm not planning on investing in 5 of these plants. Maybe I'll try one or two from my local garden center. I trust the owner, and he'll give me good advice.

@PA Mom-mom , thank you!  I am thinking along your lines.  We have extreme heat here, too.

Trusted Contributor

@Nadjalu wrote:
Gloria I have bought many plants off QVC through the years and have a pretty good success. Especially if the flower/plant is from Proven winners. I'm in Michigan SE. One of their nurseries in on 2 roads over from my last house. So they always work. Gerber Daisy's are pretty hearty. I would try them. If they die, all you have to do is call the number on the pamphlet you get and they replace it. Usually with little older plant than your original.

@Nadjalu , thank you!  That is good to know!  It must be nice to live so close to one of their nurseries!

Esteemed Contributor

Not a thing from Roberta's or CF has ever grown here.  I got Highbush blueberries that Phillip was selling last night for $6.97 at Walmart that are beginning their 3 rd year.

Esteemed Contributor

Got sucked in but already canceled.  Last year I didn't get my delivery until late May & growing season is done in late September. I buy local.

Esteemed Contributor

Why not go to a local nursery and ask instead of here.  They are much more knowledgeable than a Home Depot or Lowes.