Valued Contributor

Re: Ring video doorbell - Easter Sunday

[ Edited ]

@J9 wrote:

Looks like the ring will be the tsv tomorrow. I'm seriously considering getting it. Does anyone have it? Thoughts?

im only having some reservations for a few reasons:

1) I hate the sound of the ring in the commercials. I just installed a new doorbell chime with different sounds. 

2) I was going to get the pro because it's a bit slimmer, but after measuring, my current doorbell isn't mounted on molding wide enough for even that. How would I do it? Is there a mounting piece I could buy? I want it hard wired - not battery. And this is a great deal - the pro model is $100+ more!

3) does it really work? Won't people know I might not actually be home because these things are so popular. I wish it looked like a normal doorbell

4) can't people steal it?

just looking for some feedback from people who either have one or know someone who does!!

I have had one for 6 months and love it.  I also have their chime in my bedroom which "rings" when someone rings the doorbell.

I have signed up for their service - which runs $30 a year - so that I have access to the videos for 6 months.   I can also view them from a smartphone.

If has audio - 2 way so you can talk to the person at your door.   It also has a motion detector which you can adjust so it lets you know if someone is near your door.

Someone could steal it but they would have to unscrew these tiny screws at the bottom to do that.

I love it.. especially knowing who was at my door when I'm not home.

Regular Contributor

Now I'm thinking of canceling my order and just springing for the pro model at bed bath and beyond. I think trying to extend my molding with wood so I can mount this wider version will look stupid, and from what I'm reading, if I hardwire it to my existing doorbell, the old doorbell chime will work. So I don't need the wall until. Plus the pro has a white faceplate which will look better and doesn't need to be reset from the back. Why doesn't the Q have the pro model? I would rather buy here and get easy pay than put it all on my card (though I do actually have a $100 gift card from BBB that I've had for a few months.)

Valued Contributor

I tried to hardwire mine to the old wiring but then I found out that my current old chime (inside) was not compatible with the doorbell. Now I'm back to running it on a battery.
Occasional Contributor

For those who use battery how often do you need to recharge the battery

MadamG2U

Trusted Contributor

I have had it since last summer. I hardwired it, and my house was built in 1964. No problem at all.

I paid $199. and it did not come with the little chime. I wish I had the chime because I don't always hear my doorbell when I am in my "woman cave" (haha, the den) because it is in the back of the house.

It does send alerts to your phone, but I had to turn the sound off because since it is motion sensor also, it alerts at every car that goes by. You can pull in how far it sees, but I am still too close to the street.

It really is not a problem though, because the notification lights up on my phone screen, so I usually see it. I honestly don't even look because it almost always a car going by.

The fee for $30 a year is not a big price. Then it is all stored in the cloud for 6 months.

I like it for other stuff too. It records my grandson playing in my driveway, with sound. I am always out there with him, but it is fun to go back and watch/listen to us. I hear conversations we had that are sometimes precious to save Smiley Happy

The cloud keeps it for 6 months, but if it is something you want to keep, you can very easily download it to your computer.

TWO downfalls that I don't like is that someone can only ring it once, and then the doorbell freezes for a few seconds as it uploads immediately. So if someone goes to ring again, it just doesn't ring. Which is why I would like the chime in my back den so I hear it first ring.

The other downside is that the battery is cold sensitive. Ring told me that themselves. I was just on battery, but it kept dying and troubleshooting with Ring support, and the guy finally told me when it gets down to 20 or below, it affects the battery health. They are aware of the problem and are working on it. I suspect the new version, which is just a thiiner version of this one, has the new battery in it. But, as I said, if you are hardwired, the doorbell will still ring. BUT it does affect the video monitoring! If the battery dies, the video capability dies. (and if you are not hardwired, your doorbell will not ring until the temp comes back uo to above freezing.

I am happy with it. I like being able to check my front yard and door when I am not home. I like that if someone were to enter, I have video of it happening.

The night vision is pretty good. Can see even if it is pitch black out. It sees really well if you have any outside door light that is either kept on or is motion sensored.

It was great during the winter to lay in bed and check outside to see how much snow came down during the night without getting out of my cozy bed Smiley Happy.

This TSV price is a GREAT deal. I do suspect though they are clearing out this version for Ring. The same TSV package is $178. at Sams (and Sams is known for getting quantities of a product and just selling it out for manufacturers).

I  do not see any "WOW" factor for the newer version that is already out at a much higher price. I think the newer one is $249.00 without the little chime. It is slimmer, and probably a better battery but nothing worth the $100 price difference.

The little chime can be bought at Amazon for $29.00. I think I will get it soon.

Ring support is very, very good. Quick to respond to any question at all.

Honored Contributor

so the one offered today is an "older" model?  

it's close to $199 at Costco and I almost bought it, but now am thinking is it worth getting a newer version 

Honored Contributor

I think the idea is incredible and if you pay for Cloud storage, it will hold all the videos for as long as you want.

However, here's my concern....  the little box that is mounted outside the front door with the bell button and what is obviously a camara.  It's not hidden in any way and looking at it you know immediately that there's a camara there.

If someone comes up to the door looking to steal packages and sees the box, recognizes it has at least a camara, what would stop the intruder from taking a base ball bat or hammer (or whatever they may be carrying with them) and smashing it right off the wall....

This item has been all over as a commercial and I do think it's amazing but the bad guys will know in short order what this is and adjust themselves accordingly.... unfortunately. 

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

@Q4u.. Chances are that someone running up to porches to rob packages are not walking around with baseball bats..I know that this is well advertised,but usually when these guys are looking around ,most likely they are not looking at the bell.Believe me,I have  mine for almost 2yrs and you would not believe the people who have NO IDEA what I am talking about..So, as much as you think that the word is out there..It's not!

Honored Contributor

@Alexa6352 wrote:

@Q4u.. Chances are that someone running up to porches to rob packages are not walking around with baseball bats..I know that this is well advertised,but usually when these guys are looking around ,most likely they are not looking at the bell.Believe me,I have  mine for almost 2yrs and you would not believe the people who have NO IDEA what I am talking about..So, as much as you think that the word is out there..It's not!

Not yet, but their advertising is starting to be really out there, that's when I first saw it.  Also, there's an element going to doors looking to check out the house to see if they can break in.  I agree that the potential package thief is not walking around with a baseball bat, but I'm sure that some of them have tools on them (or a car parked a couple blocks away with tools), just in case the house looks like it can be broken into.  Most people would not look at the bell (camara) but a thief who does this "for a living" knows exactly what a camara looks like...

As I said, I think the technology is incredible but I'll wait until the camara is camouflaged.... Woman LOL

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Regular Contributor

I'd imagine that if someone was going to do something nefarious and they noticed a video camera, they would be more likely to abort and move on to another target than actually destroy the camera.