Regular Contributor

Ring video doorbell - Easter Sunday

Looks like the ring will be the tsv tomorrow. I'm seriously considering getting it. Does anyone have it? Thoughts?

im only having some reservations for a few reasons:

1) I hate the sound of the ring in the commercials. I just installed a new doorbell chime with different sounds. 

2) I was going to get the pro because it's a bit slimmer, but after measuring, my current doorbell isn't mounted on molding wide enough for even that. How would I do it? Is there a mounting piece I could buy? I want it hard wired - not battery. And this is a great deal - the pro model is $100+ more!

3) does it really work? Won't people know I might not actually be home because these things are so popular. I wish it looked like a normal doorbell

4) can't people steal it?

just looking for some feedback from people who either have one or know someone who does!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Ring video doorbell - Easter Sunday

My sister has it.  It does not hold any record of what is or has gone on at the front door longer than a minute.  You must pay a fee monthly for a little longer than that-still not good. What if you can't get to your phone that soon?  It is good if you are able to quickly view.  She has mixed feelings and is not pleased that this is not disclosed when it is presented on the Q.--the extra fee thing.

Respected Contributor

I thought Susan Graver's TSV was tomorrow?

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic. You are correct.

Trusted Contributor

I had it (purchased from RING directly) and sent it back. It wasn't compatible with the Android OS on my smartphone -- you need 4.2 or higher. Probably 4.4 by now. It worked with my iPad mini and Windows 10 laptop, but I couldn't justify buying a new phone just so I could use the video doorbell. Who wants to carry around an iPad or laptop all the time?

If the unit is yanked on with enough force it could be pulled out. I got irritated with having to remove the unit and press the orange button every time I was resetting something. The two little screws on the bottom do help keep it in place but they are tiny and if you have to remove the unit due to recharge or reset it can be aggravating!

Regular Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I thought Susan Graver's TSV was tomorrow?

Weird. It's on the homepage as the tsv preview!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

HSN  was showing a video doorbell today which I think was the Top Value.  $129.+change

Screenshot_20170415-194433.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I put up a BIG wrought iron fence.   Nobody can get near my front door.   If you don't call first......tough luck (!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Valued Contributor

We love our Ring and it's one of our favorite purchases from the Q. We didn't want to hard wire to our doorbell, so we blocked off our doorbell with tape and put the Ring next to it. I heard I can buy a cage to go over the dorrbell to prevent visitors from ringing the house doorbell. Just haven't done it, but it hasn't been a problem. We mounted right on the house, just two tiny screw holes. Ours has been on the house for 6 months, only had to charge it once. The monthly fee is around $3 a month for Cloud storage. If you don't purchase the cloud, videos delete after viewing. You do get a month or two of free cloud storage. I paid for the cloud for a year and got a discount. I've added a second Ring over the garage and can monitor both cameras. Yes, notifications come to your mobile device, but with the inside chime, you'll hear the Ring like a doorbell. I've answered the Ring while on vacation and gave the UPS man our garage code for package delivery. I feel secure knowing when we are away the kids can answer the door using the Ring. No more dealing with solicitors. If the unit is stolen, Ring replaces for free. Simple to install and set up. I love it and jumped on the pre sale to install at our cottage. No, I do not work for Ring, just a very happy Ring user. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have my Ring Door bell since August 2015. I really love it because I can't see my front door and this helps me identify who is ringing my bell and whether I want to answer the door. I am home alone may days and I don't want to answer the door without knowing who's there. I have been on trips and away from home for almost 3 weeks. I have gotten UPS deliveries and I have answered my door and telling the UPS driver to please leave the package at my back door. He had no idea that I was 3000 miles away. Later on I texted my Nextdoor Neighbor to please take my package in. I have the cloud videos..It'a only $30 for the year. If I miss someone I can go back and see what went on during the day. This was especially happy when I was awy. I watched to se what was going on. This Bell also has a Motion Detector.So you can see if anyone is jusst lurking in front of your house. They don't have to ring the bell. I also have a Camera from Ring for my back door...I have mine Hard Wired..so no worries about the battery running down..and one more thing.My bell broke a few months ago and Ring's warranty is for 1 yr.Well I called Customer Service and I explained to them about my bell and even though it was over the yearthey REPLACED IT FREE OF CHARGE...