Honored Contributor

Re: Ring video - am I missing something?

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@makena wrote:

This is a dumb question, but do you have to have an existing door bell?  I'll admit I only watched a couple presentations today but I can't recall them mentioning that.

No existing doorbell is required for the Ring to work. If you have a regular doorbell and install the Ring along with it, then you end up with two different kinds of doorbells on your house. @makena

@SilleeMee @makena

I bought the Ring Doorbell Pro which has to be hardwired. It does not have or use batteries.

DH hardwired it to our existing doorbell. Now when someone rings the doorbell we hear our regular doorbell 1st then I hear the notification on my ipad & phone.

I don't have 2 different doorbells ringing.

If you don't have an existing doorbell you need the Ring Doorbell 2 that uses batteries or hardwired either one. You can use the Pro Chime included in the TSV Ring Doorbell from Q to hear when someone rings the doorbell if you are not near your phone.

You can also buy a Ring Chime to plug in any place in your home to hear the doorbell when it rings.

Ring Chime is like the Ring Chime Pro except it does not have the wifi extender on the Ring Chime & it's half the price. If you have a large house you can just plug these in.

Honored Contributor

@summerwind, I can totally see this for convenience or if you happen to be able to tell a would be thief to get off your porch, etc. but not necessarily anything else.

I posted in another thread that just yesterday, someone posted a video on FB from his Ring Video of a group of kids stealing a package from his front porch.  There were several of them.  1 went to the porch to grab the package while the others stayed further back on the sidewalk. They were all wearing hoodies with the hoods up so the faces weren't  visible to identify anyone.. 

Trusted Contributor

For those of you concerned it could be stolen, Ring replaces stolen ones free of charge. Forever.

It would be hard to steal. The tiny screwdriver you need to get the tiny screws out is not one that anyone has. I misplaced mine, and was paintng my house. Called Ring and the next day they sent out a new screwdriver and added the charging cable too, free of charge. Super fast! They were very strict on my giving my identity, so no everyday robber can call and get a kit. I had to answer a lot of questions.

They have great customer service. This guy (the inventor) brought this to Shark Tank, but he did not get a deal. One of the Sharks circled back after thinking about it and made a deal with him on his own. (and I cannot remember which Shark). It was on the Tank "where are they now" update, maybe Richard Branson?

This Ring guy (cannot think of his name) went from an upstart, begging for investors a very short while ago and his net worth is now 16 Billion dollars! He is only 29 or 30 years old. Smart guy!

Shark Tank just did an "update" on him last Sunday, that was a "WOW" moment when I saw how fast he grew.

TWO thoughts for those who are pondering still

1- If you run it on battery only because you do not have a wired doorbell, if you live in a cold area of the country, the battery just dies everyday as it is affected by the cold. Not a big deal, but having to charge it every day is a pain. Ring knows about the problem, and it is apparently a problem for ANY outdoor security lights or whole system that run on battery. You will not have a problem if hardwired. The cold affects batteries (which might be why the Ring 2 has a much easier way of recharging without taking the whole thing off your wall).

2- It is not only the speed of your internet, it is also how far from your router your doorbell is. I had trouble in the beginning, and I bought a wifi extender and plugged that into an outlet closer to my door. The extender finds your router on its own, and it just bounces the signal to more areas of your house (I have a dead spot in my bedroom. Now that is annoying, surfing the net is always a connection game Smiley Happy )

One other thing I really like about Ring is that as they update, tweak, change or anything to the doorbell software (or firmware for that matter), they push it out to all their doorbells. So you always have the latest software. You do not have to worry about it becoming obsolete.

Honored Contributor

Everybody gets all these fancy doorbell gizmos, closed circuit TV, motion detectors then......the burglar comes in through the doggie door.  Happened here last week.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I really like this.  Feel much safer when home alone that I can talk to the person without having to open the door.

Trusted Contributor

If a bad person is determined to steal from you or get inside your house, nothing will stop them. 

That being said, this technology will be helpful to me and DH to see who is at our door, such as sales persons, missionaries, and others we are not interested in talking to or even want to bother going to the door to ask "who is it?"

It would also let us know when a package is delivered so we can bring it in the house as soon as possible.  By not leaving it outside any longer than necessary would decrease the chances of it getting stolen.

Also, alot of crooks are dumb, and this just might help to catch them.  You never know.

DH purchased one on Black Friday for $99.00. 

Super Contributor

I agree with a lot of posters - it's easy to remove the battery with the screwdriver provided by RING and by the time a criminal gets the battery out he/she would've been recorded and you would've been notified - if the RING works right; I've had nothing but issues and am returning mine! Was hoping it would work! 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

If the bad guys want inside, they will get inside.  A knowledgeable police officer told me if the bad guys want in, they will get in.  The deterrents are keeping the good guys OUT and making their jobs more difficult.  The best burglar alarms we have ever had have been large dogs.

Honored Contributor

We bought the Ring Pro & did not know if it would work with our wiring so also ordered the Ring 2 from QVC. We could not find our transformer. It was not in any of the places Ring said to look. We finally found it in the wall behind the doorbell chime.

We tried both units to see which we liked best.

The Ring 2 did not work as advertised. It would alert you when cars go up & down the street but it never notified us when someone came up to the door. Kind of defeats the purpose of having one.

The Ring Pro goes off on cars & people walking by, coming up to the door etc.

Ring told us the unit we received from QVC was defective so they sent out another one. It worked a little better but still no videos when people came on our property or up to the door.

We sent the one unit back to Ring & will ship QVC's back after Christmas. Don't want it to get lost in the mail rush.

Ring told us there are 2 cameras in the Pro.

We wanted one so we would know if someone was out front messing around or when the guy across the street backs in to our mailbox or when packages are delivered so we can retrieve them so they don't get stolen. It will also be nice to check things out when we are out of town.

We have a very long covered front porch so we were not sure if it would work or not.

The Pro seems to do what they advertise but the Ring 2 not so much.

There is also a slight delay receiving notifications.

From the reviews I have read sounds like the hardwired unit is the way to go. I'm wondering if the Ring 2 does not work like it should because it's not getting enough power from the batteries???

The reviews say the battery needs recharging a lot more than what was stated during the shows. That would be a big hassle IMO.

Glad ours is hardwired so we don't have to deal with that.

Respected Contributor

We're had our RING PRO for about 10 days, and also have the RING lights/camera in the back as well.   My husband installed the doorbell and tweaked it so that it would concentrate on our walkway and up to the end of our yard.  Best Buy came to install a few other things including the back lights/camera, and adjusted the sensitivity on the doorbell.  It's pretty amazing.  The picture is clear, and it captures things pretty quickly.  It even starts recording the storm door opening a second before we even open it from inside of the house,  not sure how it does that since there is no movement yet on the outside, but it does.    I truly like having both.

Besides letting us know who is approaching our house,  it also alerts us to package deliveries, which lets me retrieve them quickly.

I can turn the lights on and off from my phone, which is a pretty cool feature to have.

As I mentioned previously, we have an alarm inside, but thought it prudent to add these outside security features.