Respected Contributor

Re: Ring video - am I missing something?

@Madremia wrote:

Or just putting a piece of tape over the aperture means you would be recording nothing.

By that time their picture would already be recorded and you would get a notification on your phone and you could call the police immediately.

Honored Contributor

Yes I guess someone could easily steal your Ring Doorbell. If they don't want to be caught on camera all they have to do is disguise themselves. You would receive an alert & call the police.

I ordered the Ring Doorbell Pro from Lowe's Weds night. Ring had them reduced $50. I used Mr. Rebates & my Lowe's card to save another 5%. I paid $189 after rebates plus tax.

I figure most people will not fork out the extra cash for the Pro version so maybe mine won't be stolen as much as the 2 version would be. The Pro is smaller in size then the 2 so it won't work with the 2 if someone steals it for that.

I also read if you want to buy one that 2 is better then the original.

I also read some people have had problems with the 2.

DH is going to pick ours up from Lowe's today & install it so we can check it out.

The Pro is hardwired only. No batteries to steal or recharge or buy when you need new ones.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Quse wrote:

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Word of warning. If your internet upload speed isn’t very fast (say under 1mg per second) you may not ever be able to use the live view feature because it will take forever if it does load. Also Ring support seems to have only one answer for a problem and that is “you need to upgrade your internet speed”. Doesn’t matter that camera died on the one we had and we replaced it with another and it worked fine, that was the answer.  I suggest getting it locally in case you have problems so you can return it. 

@Meowingkitty Good to know, thanks! I was thinking of getting one actually to install on our shed to monitor for creatures trying to make homes (we recently had a resident skunk within the fence that sprayed our dog) 

I often think that so many people are aware of Ring now that it likely isn't going to deter an intruder. The doorbell has the Ring logo on it, so...fooling no one. 

@Quse I think it will deter an intruder. An intruder will be more likely to go next door where they don't have a Ring Doorbell. They don't want to be on camera. If nobody is home they still know someone is lurking around your house & all you have to do is call the police.

I bought the Pro version so we can see what's going on out front when we are at home or not. Our neighbor across the street keeps backing into our mailbox. We are tired of fixing it. After we install Ring & he does it we will be confronting him since we now have proof.

We have a rabbit that keeps having babies under our shed. The stray cats keep coming by trying to get to them now that they know they are there. 

Regular Contributor

We bought it.

The price is great.

Closest I could find..Costco $149 for members only. (2 year warranty) and a 30 day free trial of cloud storage.

I spoke with a really nice guy at Ring.

If you want to check your WIFI speed, go to speedof.me and take the test.

Take your cell or tablet outside and close the front door before hitting start test...it only takes a few seconds.HTH

Respected Contributor

This is a dumb question, but do you have to have an existing door bell?  I'll admit I only watched a couple presentations today but I can't recall them mentioning that.

Honored Contributor

@makena wrote:

This is a dumb question, but do you have to have an existing door bell?  I'll admit I only watched a couple presentations today but I can't recall them mentioning that.

No existing doorbell is required for the Ring to work. If you have a regular doorbell and install the Ring along with it, then you end up with two different kinds of doorbells on your house. @makena

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Special tool is needed. I have the doorbell and because I don’t have the wire I must use the  batteries. Part of the system is in the  house. I love mine feel safe with it.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I want to have one eventually so when my doorbell rings, I can see who's there, and can remind them that the "No Soliciting" sign means.... no soliciting.

ETA: I consider it part of making my house "age in place" ready. It's getting harder to get up from my recliner, or get to the front of the house from the back. Why bother, if I can talk to someone from an app? I have other means of being secure, this would just be a convenience.

Respected Contributor

We're getting the Pro doorbell and also the Floodlight/camera for our back door, from Best Buy.  They are going to install and help us upgrade our internet, which we truly need to do.  The person my husband is dealing with has been with BB for over 10 years, and will be our go to person for questions.  I'd rather they set everything up and show us how to use it.  Lately there have been a few packages stolen from porches, and some mischief.  This will help us monitor.  We've had our alarm system inside for the 20 years we've lived in our home.  Sadly, we now have to monitor the outside as well.

Valued Contributor

I have the Original Ring Doorbell. I have had mine since August 2015..Since then I added the Ring Video Cam for by Backyard and Back door. It's Solar Powered..I had to purchase the Solar Plate..for it..but don't have  to worry about charging it or hard wiring it a place where I don't have any wires..Well, both work great. I don't know what I would do without them...I was in Aruba this past February,I was there for 19 days and UPS was delivering a package to my house. I answered my door,told him if he didn't mind to give my package to my neighbor..He said no problem...I was 3000 miles from my home....I LOVE MY RING!