Contributor

Ring video - am I missing something?

So they are going on and on about how easy to change the front plate and batteries.  Doesn’t that mean an intruder could just disable the thing in like two seconds by taking out the batteries?

Honored Contributor

Re: Ring video - am I missing something?

I've always wondered about that myself.

Also those Simply Safe monitors. 

If they are that easy to install, then they are easy to breach.

@Madremia wrote:

So they are going on and on about how easy to change the front plate and batteries.  Doesn’t that mean an intruder could just disable the thing in like two seconds by taking out the batteries?

Contributor

We installed this doorbell last weekend. An intruder would need to be carrying an ultra small Torx screwdriver (provided w/the doorbell) and probably have someone hold a flashlight to remove the battery, at the same their face close up would be reocording to the device/homeowner. We have been very happy with the device so far. Hope this helps. 

Trusted Contributor

It can be installed hard wired to the doorbell wiring already there. Batteries are not necessary. If the intruder comes prepared to remove the unit from the mounting plate and disconnect the wiring, too, while being seen through a video that is recorded, then the intruder will succeed in disabling the Ring. It does not need batteries to function if you use the existing doorbell wires to power it. 

The monitoring fees fees are optional. $3 per month or $30 per year. Needed only if you will require viewing prior recordings made by the video function and stored by the Ring group. If current video viewing is sufficient, no fee just be paid. It’s optional. 

Esteemed Contributor

Word of warning. If your internet upload speed isn’t very fast (say under 1mg per second) you may not ever be able to use the live view feature because it will take forever if it does load. Also Ring support seems to have only one answer for a problem and that is “you need to upgrade your internet speed”. Doesn’t matter that camera died on the one we had and we replaced it with another and it worked fine, that was the answer.  I suggest getting it locally in case you have problems so you can return it. 

Valued Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

Word of warning. If your internet upload speed isn’t very fast (say under 1mg per second) you may not ever be able to use the live view feature because it will take forever if it does load. Also Ring support seems to have only one answer for a problem and that is “you need to upgrade your internet speed”. Doesn’t matter that camera died on the one we had and we replaced it with another and it worked fine, that was the answer.  I suggest getting it locally in case you have problems so you can return it. 

@Meowingkitty Good to know, thanks! I was thinking of getting one actually to install on our shed to monitor for creatures trying to make homes (we recently had a resident skunk within the fence that sprayed our dog) 

I often think that so many people are aware of Ring now that it likely isn't going to deter an intruder. The doorbell has the Ring logo on it, so...fooling no one. 

Honored Contributor

The Ring logo on your doorbell is also a deterrant.

I have ADT.  The labels on every window are more of a deterrant than the alarm system.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

A can of spray paint could easily obscure the lens on the thing also.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the answer. I am seriously considering this purchase. I am sort of worried about the installation. I am not a handy person at all. LOL

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Or just putting a piece of tape over the aperture means you would be recording nothing.