Honored Contributor

Re: Recommendation for New Vacuum Cleaner

On 1/4/2014 MUNCHIE said:

I purchased the DYSON ANIMAL DC25 , however I got it from Costco,,$399 and it came with all sorts of attachments..I would not trade this vacuum for any other ..Previously had a hoover for years..brought the Dyson home,,vacuumed with the hoover,then the Dyson,,it literally filled up the canister with dirt that the hoover could not extract. Also, my husband (now deceased) could not believe that there were no dust particles floating around while vacuuming, which was not good for him as he had emphysema. This machine far surpassed any other vacuum I have ever used. I cant believe the hidden dust, cat hairs, etc it still pulls out of an old carpet.

I plan on getting one for my son in the near future.

Joanne

Munchie - Check out the DC41. I have two of the DC25 and really like them a lot (both of them still work like new), but I'm loving the DC41 because it does all that and even better, PLUS it has a much longer cord and larger canister.

It pulls the dog hair and stuff out of this one black area rug I have like none of my others do. I especially appreciate that because I couldn't get that rug clean and only when the cleaning lady comes did it get properly cleaned because she can get down on her hands and knees with attachments. Now I can keep it clean myself - while standing. yay!

The only minus from the DC25 to the DC41 is that you cannot pull out the roller to clean the dog hair out. You can remove the outer part to give better access to it, though. Just can't pull the whole assembly out of there. Not sure why they changed that, but it's not a deal-breaker. Smiley Happy

New Contributor

I just got the Lift way from Shark and really like it .

Esteemed Contributor

I never thought there would ever be a vacuum which I wouldn't part with no matter what comes down the pike, but my old Oreck XL is just that. Mine has never had any kind of mechanical malfunction. I change the bags regularly and keep the links (I guess that would be the tube) to the bag clear. Purchased from QVC when Oreck first appeared on the network (so I know mine is at least 15 yrs. old).

Contributor

I bought the Dyson TSV last Feb. 2013.......I had a Hoover upright which I had to repair every year........I wanted a new upright that I can use bags...unfortunately I could not find one.......We were amazed how much dirt/cat hair was picked up by our new dyson.....hoover never did that!!!!!!!!!!.........My husband does the vacuuming for me and really likes the dyson and not too heavy either.......

Joann,

I have the pink Oreck from todays special value years ago, and I love it! it's powerful and removes the cat hair with no problem. Love that it's so light and slips under all the furniture. I never have any problem with mine but I take mine for service once a year without fail and they put a new roller in for me, not very expensive to do this and it's worth every penny, after the new roller, the Oreck almost runs away from itself!! My Oreck tech. suggested doing this and it makes a huge difference. I have shoulder problems and I would never part with my Oreck. I still have my old heavy upright and every time I use it when my Oreck is in being serviced, my shoulder starts hurting. I have multiple cats and my friends tell me my carpet and home are so clean so I know this Oreck works.

Trusted Contributor

My purple Dyson Animal is 11 years old. I use it a lot and have had no problem with it. It has never been in any shop for any type of repair. I am very happy with mine.

My friend, on the other hand, thinks Dyson is too expensive. She buys a new vacuum almost every year for around $200. She thinks that is so much better since it is less than half of a Dyson. However, add that up and she has spent much much more than I have.

Regular Contributor

I bought a Shark Navigator at Walmart almost 2 years ago for $129.00 and I LOVE it.....best darn vacuum I've ever owned!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

To save a few bucks and still have a Dyson i purchased the canister - it also reaches into places the upright would have been more difficult to use. I love it - as with anything that is superior quality - they do require some maintainence. You have to clean out the canister and clean the filter then let it dry 24 hours . My DH doesn't seem to mind doing that for me . No other vacuum I have ever had is as good as my Dyson, IMO. I have an Oreck that i never use anymore because it leaks dust out of the place where the bag attaches to the pole - i do not need that ! I highly recommend getting a dyson.
Honored Contributor

On 1/13/2014 ladybuglainie said:

I bought a Shark Navigator at Walmart almost 2 years ago for $129.00 and I LOVE it.....best darn vacuum I've ever owned!!!!!!!

My SIL got one of these at the same time as I got my Dyson and she too loves hers.
Trusted Contributor

On 1/13/2014 ladybuglainie said:

Agree!