Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Recommendation for New Vacuum Cleaner

I really liked the suction of the Shark I had, but the filter was so small that I had to clean the filter every time I vacuumed a few rooms. If you want one, check out the reviews first. I would buy one again if I thought it wouldn't have the filter problem my upright had, and the design flaws my mini-canister one has.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org
Valued Contributor

On 1/1/2014 mistylady said:

I hate my Dyson. I bought it as a TSV about 2 years ago. Cost somewhere between $400 and $500. Biggest waster of my money, ever!!! It's the hardest vacuum I've ever used. I agree with the previous post about the wand being hard to use. I get a work out using that vacuum. I don't see that it does any better than my previous Eureka vacuum. I should have listened to my friends who said they hated their Dyson. Only one person I know, likes their Dyson.

Same thing with me- same reasons - really hard to maneuver no matter what "they" say. and so heavy -- I have an old Oreck-- I would buy another if I could- they even give a $100 trade-in on some models but right now money's tight and mine still works. I also have a 20+ year old eureka canister that still is chugging along. My DH is the one that talked me into the Dyson- now he vacuums with it in his workshop but even emptying the canister is a pain.

Esteemed Contributor

I opted for a bagless Electrolux. It does a great job but it's heavy. I usually ask one of my guys to carry it up/down the stairs. I like the long hose (I can vacuum all stairs when leaving the unit at the bottom), but the filters can be a pain when it's time to pop them back in after cleaning. There's one filter inside that falls off and the unit won't operate if the filter's not in place. Just when I think it's secure, it pops off again! UGH! (DH doesn't seem to have any problems with it, so maybe it's just me.) Over the holidays, I used my mom's Oreck, and it also did a great job and was much lighter than my Electrolux, but the hoses aren't very long. I would've gotten an Oreck, but I wanted to move away from the bags. With my old vacuum cleaner, it seemed like I was spending a small fortune on bags. My Electrolux looks something like this:

Contributor

Love my Shark Navigator Liftaway! Gets stuff out of my carpet like no other vacuum I have ever owned! It rocks! Attachments easy to use too! $170 at WM.

Not applicable

Well, me and my family members are a Dyson family, we got our first one about 9 or so years ago that was one of the first upright purple Animals, and that sucker has lasted us and is still going. We temporarily paused it when we sucked up some drywall with it (yeah - that was a small oops) but we just took the brush head/bottom part off and cleaned it out and it worked great again, and we've only just now taken it into a Dyson store for a tune up and it's still working great! That one my parents then took to the family's cottage, they replaced it with the new ball animal at home; I have the Animal (which I LOVE and got it as the most recent animal tsv) and my brother has the DC50 i believe it is, as it is a little smaller version of the DC41 but they are in an apartment so it works great for them. All of us wouldn't want another brand and have had no issues with ours. :-) Guess just my two cents. Good luck!

Regular Contributor

How is the shark navigator lift away pro for doing stairs?

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/2/2014 voyager1980 said:

I've been looking at all the Shark ones because of glowing reviews but I'm confused about the different model numbers. People love Shark vc's.(:

This is the one I have. At the time, I researched the differences between it and the more expensive Liftaway Pro and decided for the money, this one would be fine.

It has so much suction, it pulls itself across the floor as if it were self propelled. There is zero dust spray, it maneuvers very well and is easy to empty.

http://www.qvc.com/Shark-Navigator-Lift-Away-Upright-Vacuum-.product.H364517.html?upsh=1&sc=H364518...

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

I love Dyson too. I would NOT get the DC40, though. Opt for the DC41 if you can. It has everything plus a larger canister and longer cord, and Dyson is an excellent company with outstanding customer service.

One thing that I think a lot of people do not consider is quality. I go with companies that make products that will last. Many of them might seem good at first, like the Shark brand, but they don't make products to last. For me anyway, that matters a lot. I got tired of always having to buy vacuum cleaners because they seemed good at first, then died way too young. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

We bought a Shark Navigator Lift-Away as a second vac and couldn't pack it up and return it fast enough.

I second the poster who loves Sebo. We've had ours for over ten years now. It was actually built with great thought to details and with materials that last -- made in Germany. It is also very user-friendly. It is a bagged vacuum, which is my preference. It can be purchased at a vacuum store and also online through Sebo, Amazon, and elsewhere.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

On 1/2/2014 suzyQ3 said:

We bought a Shark Navigator Lift-Away as a second vac and couldn't pack it up and return it fast enough.

I second the poster who loves Sebo. We've had ours for over ten years now. It was actually built with great thought to details and with materials that last -- made in Germany. It is also very user-friendly. It is a bagged vacuum, which is my preference. It can be purchased at a vacuum store and also online through Sebo, Amazon, and elsewhere.

Hey, Suzarama! So you're a 'bag' girl, eh? Smiley Happy Bags had to go for me. I was always choking myself half to death, trying to change them out. But then, I'm a mega-klutz and also have asthma. I'm an accident waiting to happen.

Hope this finds you well my friend!