Regular Contributor

Recommendation for New Vacuum Cleaner

I need to purchase a new vacuum cleaner. I know Dyson will be having a TSV later this month and I will wait to see what it i. My question is Dyson a good vacuum? Is it worth the wait. Also, I have a canister now and I do like it, but is there a real difference between canister and upright. Don't know if I should switch to upright or stay with canister versions. I do have stairs that need vacuuming and I have no pets if that helps. Thanks.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Recommendation for New Vacuum Cleaner

I find a canister is much easier to use for stairs, ceilings etc. Dyson does a canister if I'm not mistaken. I have a Dyson, but I find the wand a bit of a pain to re assemble when I use it, so I end up using a small vacuum for things I would use the wand for.

Contributor

I hate my Dyson. I bought it as a TSV about 2 years ago. Cost somewhere between $400 and $500. Biggest waster of my money, ever!!! It's the hardest vacuum I've ever used. I agree with the previous post about the wand being hard to use. I get a work out using that vacuum. I don't see that it does any better than my previous Eureka vacuum. I should have listened to my friends who said they hated their Dyson. Only one person I know, likes their Dyson.

Honored Contributor

Do a search for Dyson. There was a thread recently. Alot don't like them. Shark or oreck were the recommendations.

I have an oreck and an Electrolux. Both uprights. I like them both, but finding bags for the Electrolux is a challenge. I bought it on the q about 6 years ago and they no longer sell the bags. I then found them at Lowe's and now they don't carry them. I found some online, but they are more than I care to spend.

Contributor

I have a Miele and it is awesome.

Esteemed Contributor

I love my Shark Navigator Liftaway

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Regular Contributor

I was looking too. I asked here on the boards. I reviewed and bought a Shark Lift Away with extra attachments for small crevices, etc. I've only had it a few weeks, and I love it. I was hesitant and had been pricing around, but I got a great value. If you want the exact model, I'll post it later. Asa a matter of fact, my daughter's TV and other component went on the fritz, and she thought of vacuuming with the small attachment to all the ports on the devices. Worked like a charm! Everything worked again! It really is powerful! There was a a LOT of dust there that we would have never seen! The reviews are great. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Frequent Contributor

Hands down, SEBO - it is an upright! Attachments on the machine! I have two - one upstairs, one down! I have two pugs & they shed like mad! I took my Dyson, TRIPLE YUK, to our vacation home! Dyson is big, heavy, attachments are hard to attach & use - did I say HEAVY & CUMBERSOME! It even wears my husband out! HORRIBLE MACHINE! The SEBO is not inexpensive, $600 plus or minus! We bought them in a vacuum cleaner store in our area, I live near Las Vegas, NV. It does take bags! I have owned, Kirbys, Dyson, Electrolux, & Riccar! We bought the SEBOS when we had the Dyson in the shop for the 3rd time! I have not seen a SEBO sold in a big box store or any place like Walmart - as I said, we bought them in a vacuum cleaner store! Good Luck!

Contributor

I love my Shark Navigator Lift-Away Pro. Easy to use as an upright, easy to detach the canister and carry it, easy to empty. Unit is sealed so you don't have dust blowing out the back. I don't use all the attachments (already had a Dirt Devil) but what I use is great.

Super Contributor

I've been looking at all the Shark ones because of glowing reviews but I'm confused about the different model numbers. People love Shark vc's.(: