Trusted Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

@tsavorite wrote:

Looks like there may be a adapter for this model...maybe?? that is a additional purchase....

@tsavorite I don’t know if they make an adapter, but it looks to me like Bose only makes one Wave system that has both Bluetooth and a CD player and it costs about $540.  If your husband wants Bluetooth and doesn’t need a CD player, you should look into the Bose Soundlink.  I’ve had one for years and it is wonderful.  Also less expensive than the TSV.

Agree...I’ve had mine for 3-4 years and love it...I haven’t used cd’s in years😏

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it
Honored Contributor

@chessylady...Bose now makes several options of Bluetooth sound systems. There is no need to buy this machine, then buy a separate device to turn it into a Bluetooth sound system. I understand the auxiliary cable is an option; it has been for 20+ years, but who wants that anymore?  @TenderMercies is right, this isn’t a gift that is going to excite a techie, regardless of age.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Trusted Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

It is an auxillary cable to attach the bose to a phone or ipad. It costs around $6. The device to turn it into bluetooth costs $135.

@chessylady An aux cable is basically the equivalent of the cable that is used on a set of headphones, except the end of the cable that usually goes into the headphones goes into the Bose, and the other end goes into your phone, tablet, tv or computer’s aux outlet.  I have about 6 of these cables in various drawers, and I never use them anymore because of the existence of Bluetooth.  In fact, these cables are so antiquated that Apple eliminated the aux outlet on their phones about 2 years ago.  If you have an iPhone 7, 8 or 10, you couldn’t plug it into this Bose.  

As as far as the adapter goes, that’s a lot of money for an adapter considering there are loads of good quality Bluetooth speakers out there that cost less than this adapter.  In fact, if you were to purchase E229914 for $129.95, and an aux cable for $6, that would cost you the equivalent of the adapter for the TSV.  You could plug one end of that aux cord into E229914 and the other into any CD player you already have at home, and you would get that Bose sound, have Bluetooth capability, and be able to play your CDs and get the sound through the Bose.

Occasional Contributor

I guess I am just a sucker, a jerk or an old fuddy duddy because I bought one. I have wanted one for quite some time. Several family members have had them, including my uncle who was quite an audiophile. Should be nice to put in the bedroom and pair with my Amazon Echo Dot and the auxillary cable to play anything.

Regular Contributor

I'm an old fuddy duddy and I thought 299 was great for what I wanted.  Just play one cd at a time.  I basically will listen to FM and have never ending music.  I don't want the Bells and frills.  I already own one from years back ($499.99) and it's an upgrade from that.  So I am a happy camper.  This time I could grab the platinum, where I've lived with the black for years.  I see the price is up $50 now for all those bounce backs.  

Honored Contributor

I think this Bose would be perfect for someone who doesn't own a smart device. Surprisingly there are still people who don't. I am one but I'm not buying it.

Trusted Contributor

@Jena gal wrote:

I'm an old fuddy duddy and I thought 299 was great for what I wanted.  Just play one cd at a time.  I basically will listen to FM and have never ending music.  I don't want the Bells and frills.  I already own one from years back ($499.99) and it's an upgrade from that.  So I am a happy camper.  This time I could grab the platinum, where I've lived with the black for years.  I see the price is up $50 now for all those bounce backs.  

@Jena gal In what ways is this model an upgrade from the one you already own?

Regular Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

@Jena gal wrote:

@Jena gal In what ways is this model an upgrade from the one you already own?

The one thing that comes to mind is the cd goes in the front.  Mine it has a lid that must be lifted and all the buttons are on top also.  I like where I can sit something on top.  The dust gets in the buttons on top where on the side, not so much.  Anyway I like just sticking the cd in vs lifting the lid and having to place it on a spindle.  There must be others, but that is what comes to mind now.  Anyway for $299 I am anxiously waiting for my new Bose.

New Contributor

I'm an old fuddy duddy too and I bought the Bose.  My old Bose is 14 years old and I just wanted something to put in our upstairs bedroom without having to spend a lot of money.

I received my Bose yesterday and it sounds wonderful.  We're definitely putting our old Bose in the upstairs bedroom and the new one will be here in the living room.  I'm glad I bought it, the sound is amazing. BTW, I checked to see if they were selling this Bose for the TSV price but it's still $499 at the Bose site.

Contributor

I feel the same.  I always wanted to try a Bose system and this price was much better than the $540i would see comparative shopping. I have a Bose system in my car and I really like it. I bought the adapter for $6 and I still listen to CDs.  

Shipping has been a mess though, it’s been sitting at UPS once 11/29 with no scheduled delivery date.

It doesn’t matter to me it’s not Bluetooth...also got a great bargain on Amazon for the Echo with the plug adapter for $5