Frequent Contributor
Accepted Solution

Rastelli's Reserve TSV 10/27/21

[ Edited ]

The ingredients link on the product page isn't working as of this moment, but the info I want probably isn't there anyway. Does anyone know, possibly from ordering in the past and seeing the packaging, if this is USDA graded Prime or Choice? Opinions vary on flavor/texture, so the USDA grading is what I depend on - they're pretty strict on Prime beef, which is generally for restaurants and hotels. The price certainly reflects a Prime grade, but I don't know what "Rastelli's Reserve" is, so I'd greatly appreciate any help you lovely folks have to give. Hoping not to have to contact the company. This info should be in the product description, so I think it's probably Choice, but if it's only USDA inspected I'll have a cow...😉

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Rastelli's Reserve TSV 10/27/21

The question was asked and it stated choice.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the better investigation is on what the word "reserve" means.

The Reserve Rib eyes I bought earlier this year (M72578) tasted like and had the consistency of meat "reserved" in a meat locker somewhere since BEFORE Covid ( or possibly before Y2K)...

Tough, thin, liver-like appearance for "rib-eye steak". HORRIBLE.

QVC was good...got a refund no questions asked, and cancelled auto delivery. I THINK it may have been the ONLY refund I ever asked for in 25+ years.

But it was shameful because the presentation on TeeVee didn't remotely resemble what I got...David and the Rastelli guy cutting the meat with just a fork, happy dancing, etc....

On the plus side ( everything has to have SOME good!!!)...the package of steaks arrived frozen solid...great for warm beginning of June). I wanted it to be good...but OMG....!!!

I gave Rastelli's another chance with thier 10 pc. 6 oz salmon which has been excellent. Also frozen rock hard when it arrived in July here in PA, and instead of TEN 6 oz pieces, I received SIXTEEN!!! ( at the time, they offered a 16 pc. box...I think someone grabbed the wrong box off the shelf when they filled my salmon order!!)

Anyway...read the reviews of the beef this company sells....primarily the whole pieces ( not burger)...

Nope for me.

Looks great on TeeVee..but I think they were using ribeyes they bought at the local Walmart.

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]
@Othereeeen wrote:

I think the better investigation is on what the word "reserve" means.

The Reserve Rib eyes I bought earlier this year (M72578) tasted like and had the consistency of meat "reserved" in a meat locker somewhere since BEFORE Covid ( or possibly before Y2K)...

Tough, thin, liver-like appearance for "rib-eye steak". HORRIBLE.

QVC was good...got a refund no questions asked, and cancelled auto delivery. I THINK it may have been the ONLY refund I ever asked for in 25+ years.

But it was shameful because the presentation on TeeVee didn't remotely resemble what I got...David and the Rastelli guy cutting the meat with just a fork, happy dancing, etc....

On the plus side ( everything has to have SOME good!!!)...the package of steaks arrived frozen solid...great for warm beginning of June). I wanted it to be good...but OMG....!!!

I gave Rastelli's another chance with thier 10 pc. 6 oz salmon which has been excellent. Also frozen rock hard when it arrived in July here in PA, and instead of TEN 6 oz pieces, I received SIXTEEN!!! ( at the time, they offered a 16 pc. box...I think someone grabbed the wrong box off the shelf when they filled my salmon order!!)

Anyway...read the reviews of the beef this company sells....primarily the whole pieces ( not burger)...

Nope for me.

Looks great on TeeVee..but I think they were using ribeyes they bought at the local Walmart.

@Othereeeen You missed your calling as a comedian if you aren't one. Smiley Happy You always tell the funniest stories - I remember you from the comment you made about your family gatherings. You are lovely and I appreciate you and your opinions! The reviews on the salmon are always quite good, since before Rastelli acquired them.

After not having a reply here when I checked back, I did reach out to Rastelli's on Facebook and they said it is USDA Choice - you are correct @elated. Thanks for your help.

At over $45 per pound (10 - 5 ounce pieces is 50 ounces, which is 3 lbs 2 oz), regardless of it being center cut filet mignon, it's impossible for me personally to justify the price for Choice. (Also not sure how they tenderize it, I forgot to ask. Either mechanically or enzymes.)

Now, for a prime grade, I'd splurge and do it. I've worked in restaurants in my youth and have friends who owned restaurants, and I know how much the grading means. Less than 2% of all beef in the US makes the cut - literally! Smiley Wink

To anyone who love their Rastelli's Reserve, keep enjoying it - but for the same price, try a prime grade of meat sometime just for the experience and see what you think!

Thanks again! Smiley Happy