Esteemed Contributor
Accepted Solution

Question about Carole Hochman???

I'm a bit confused maybe you can help.Didn't Carole Hochman move over to HSN in January. She renamed the line.It was on once there & I never saw it again.Yet her Heavenly Sleepwear is still going strong on QVC.I know she sold the company but it's still very odd to me.Does anyone have any insight?? Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Question about Carole Hochman???

I googled this:

From November 2016: HSN announced it is partnering with designer Hochman, a veteran QVC vendor, and her company Comfortably You LLC to launch an exclusive sleepwear, lounge wear and intimates lifestyle collection on the No. 2 home shopping network on Jan. 26.

“Women today are looking for clothing that fits their lifestyles, yet provides a superior level of comfort,” Hochman, CEO and chief creative officer of Naked and CEO of Comfortably You, said in a canned statement.

“Our new collection offers women unmatched comfort and style with unique details, on-trend colors, and modern prints that set these pieces apart from the ordinary and expected. I’m thrilled to be partnering with HSN on the Comfortably You brand and in bringing consumers the choices, variety, and elevated sleepwear experience they desire with the comfort they deserve.”

Hochman’s company is a unit of Naked Brand Group Inc. According to HSN’s press release, Hochman left as chief creative officer of her eponymous firm Carole Hochman Design Group in 2013, so it appears to us that her old company is providing product for QVC, under her name.

As it turns out apparently Hochman, like some other fashion designers, lost the legal right to use her own name as a brand. So the Hochman collection on QVC is not designed by her and has no association with her.

So her new HSN line will compete with her old company’s QVC line.

We guess when Hochman left her old company she didn’t have a non-compete clause, or at least not a lengthy one.

Honored Contributor

I just don't get so much exclusivity - I understand having some labels are "belong" to a parent company, but lots of brands have sold in many different places over my years of  being a consumer. 

I do want to know when something is exclusive to one company, so I don't miss out on something I really want or need, but beyond that all the bragging rights mean nothing to me. 

QVC wins more than HSN here because if something is exclusive to QVC, I sometimes do buy.  I have up on getting quality from HSN a long time ago and now buy so little I just don't get involved with "new" stores all that much. 

Valued Contributor

There's some cross-over with the Stan Herman line too.

There was a post here, let me see if I can find it ... go it, it was Shwarma who passed on her experience..:

"Last year I ordered a Stan Hermann house dress...much to my surprise the tags read Carol Hochman. I contacted QVC..no one had an answer. They insisted I had ordered a Hochman product. I wrote to Stan and he replied with a confirmation that in the UK he is under Hochman label. Everyone was shocked that I had received a piece from the UK. My thought..all made in the same place with every designer getting a grab."

Trusted Contributor

@Pagan wrote:

There's some cross-over with the Stan Herman line too.

There was a post here, let me see if I can find it ... go it, it was Shwarma who passed on her experience..:

"Last year I ordered a Stan Hermann house dress...much to my surprise the tags read Carol Hochman. I contacted QVC..no one had an answer. They insisted I had ordered a Hochman product. I wrote to Stan and he replied with a confirmation that in the UK he is under Hochman label. Everyone was shocked that I had received a piece from the UK. My thought..all made in the same place with every designer getting a grab."

I bought some "Valerie" items a few years ago.  When I got them they said "Mr. Christmas" on them.  Definitely all made in the same Chinese factory and the "designers" all marketing the product as theirs, everybody getting a piece of the pie.

Esteemed Contributor

The whole thing is very confusing & a bit deceptive.The people who claim to design these items are not necessarily the designers.Yet I'm sure we are paying the designer prices for these items.In essence we can purchase an item cheaper than if we purchased the same item with a designer name on it!! So unfair!!

Honored Contributor

@NicksmomESQ@MezzieStarr

What an insight into the inner workings of these companies! Thank you!

Do you or does anybody know the name of the representative of the Carole Hochman representative on the Q forc"Heavenly Sleepwear."

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

The last few items I purchased from this Q line were returned because of quality issues. To me, when CH herself was no longer involved with fabric quality, etc things tanked.
Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1  I'm not sure of the spelling but I think I heard her referred to as Michelle Dierfilet Michaels.

Respected Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

I just don't get so much exclusivity - I understand having some labels are "belong" to a parent company, but lots of brands have sold in many different places over my years of  being a consumer. 

I do want to know when something is exclusive to one company, so I don't miss out on something I really want or need, but beyond that all the bragging rights mean nothing to me. 

QVC wins more than HSN here because if something is exclusive to QVC, I sometimes do buy.  I have up on getting quality from HSN a long time ago and now buy so little I just don't get involved with "new" stores all that much. 

I would think HSN wins b/c they have Carole Hochman actually designing the items they are selling.