Valued Contributor

Re: QVC2 Big Deal Breadman Bread Machine - Discussion

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

@customerqvc2 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@customerqvc2 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

We have a Cuisinart CBK 110, which sells for about $80.

We bake a LOT of bread, have had a machine since 1992, and have had Hitachi, Breadman, and three Zojirushi's (the best).  But I had a gift certificate a couple of years ago and bought this and it makes a really really good loaf of bread.

We like it a lot! 

I bought a DAK bread machine years ago when they first came out and mine is still working perfectly.  I also own a Zojirushii and love that one, too.  I highly recommend bread machines because the bread comes out so nice and the flavor is wonderful.  Unless you have a fancy bread shop near you, a bread machine is the way to go

@customerqvc2   Is that the R2D2 look alike?  LOL!!!  I will always regret not buying one of those!  A friend had one and used to make their orange bread a lot.  It was SO good!

Yes, that's the one.  I bought one and so did my MIL and hers gave out, but mine still works perfectly and I still have the recipe book and everything.

@customerqvc2, I had one of those too.  If they made an updated version I would probably buy it assuming it had the features I want.  I ended up selling it on a local yard sale group mainly becasue it was taking up a lot of space and it made such a big and round loaf.  It also didn't seem to do so well with the heavier whole grain doughs which weren't so popular when the original R2D2 came out.  With it just being the 2 of us and trying to eat so many carbs I need a smaller capacity machine.  

Some of the newer machines have a jam feature that I have read is also good for things that need constant stirring like risotto and oatmeal, so I have kinda been lusting after one of those although I really don't NEED one and really don't have the storage space for one.  

Yes, those big round loaves were odd shaped, that's for sure.  So, I started makng my dough on the"dough only" (no bake) feature and just popping the dough in a regular loaf pan, rise once, and bake.  I do the same for rolls.

I also have the Zo that has all the bells and whistles, but turn to my old DAK machine time and time again.

Honored Contributor

@Daysdee  yes would love it if you posted about your cookbook.  Even if mine comes with one, having more recipes would be nice.  i will definitely let you know about the bread slicer.  Apparently, you can slice thin slices up to thicker slices.  Anything to help me make straight even slices is a plus.  HAHA

@4kitties - you posted that you let the bread machine do all the work then bake your bread in the oven.  For this novice, can you please tell me how you do that - what size loaf pan you use, temp of oven, how long does it need to bake, think you said you let it rise but I thought it did that in the machine so if you could clarify that it would be great.  Thanks!

Question for all the other bread machine posters - what do you store your bread in?  I've ordered some Lock n Lock storage containers that may work but if they don't, I can always use them for other things.  Curious as to what everyone uses to store their bread in.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JudyL 

I have a cookbook called Bread Machine Magic that I use.  I have a loaf of English Toasting Bread in the oven as I type!  The recipe tells the size pan to use and the oven temp and time.  It varies with each recipe.  

I store my bread in a plastic bag.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@4kitties Thank you!  Think I"ll go check out that cookbook on Amazon.  

Honored Contributor

Anyone get their breadmaker yet?  Have you tried it?  Still waiting for mine.

Trusted Contributor

Mine came last week, but it's a Christmas present for DH so he won't use it for another few weeks. 

Honored Contributor

@Daysdee wrote:

I had a bread machine from QVC years ago.  Kind of quit making bread.  Got tired of having to go to the store just for bread so I bought the mini Zo.  I haven't purchased bread for 4 years.  The 1 lb loaf is good for me.   When it quits working I will definitely buy another bread machine.  I like the size of the Mini Zo and leave it out all the time.   Not sure if when I need one if I will try a less expensive brand,

@Daysdee I have good and bad news.  We bought a new Zo Maestro that makes the smaller loaves.  It works great!  The bad news is that if you ever have to replace it, be sure to get the new Zo version and spend MORE money if you like whole wheat bread.

Bar none it makes the best wheat bread I have ever had--store bought or home baked.  

The other bad news is that the first one we had wouldn't make a good loaf of white bread of all things.  We had bought it from Amazon.  Packed it back up and sent it back, bought one from Bed Bath Beyond and it has been fabulous!  

Just thought I'd tell/warn you!  LOL!!!!

Honored Contributor

@JudyLThe bread recipe book I use is "The Bread Machine Cookbook" Revised Edition by Donna Rathmell German.   Easy recipes for small, medium or large loaves.