Trusted Contributor

Re: QVC holiday shopping then and now

@fairydogmother I have been a customer since 1986. I still buy lots of gifts from QVC and HSN. My entire family and friends always tell me I get the best, most unique gifts. I love kitchen gadgets and buy multiples. When I left each workplace through the years, I was told every time by several different people how they would miss my little gifts I brought in. I would give Valentine's, Easter, Christmas, whatever holiday was happening during school. All came from QVC/HSN.

Once, I don't know exactly what happened, but I ended up giving money to a family member celebrating their birthday. Everyone made comments like "what happened?", "she broke down and gave money?", and I actually overheard someone say something like, "I wonder why she gave money, she always has such great ideas". I have always bought throughout the year for people as I discover items I truly believe the recipient would enjoy. No more cash or gift cards unless a recipient asks for it. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappy wrote:

I've never bought sets of something and broke it up to give to different people...at QVC or anywhere else.  I used to  buy some of the food items but I don't do that anymore because it has gotten so expensive and we just don't buy for all the people we once did.  At my husband's old job, we used to buy for 11 people (adults and kids) and the count was climbing each year.  One year I made the suggestion of picking a family thru a charity and buying for them, gifts and a holiday dinner.  Boy, did I get the ugly eye.  I'm glad that's all behind me.  Don't buy for mailman, garage man, etc. either.

I suggested adopting a needy family for Christmas rather than buying gifts to my MIL several years ago, and was met by stony silence. I have never brought this up again, but it's a shame because she spends lots of $$$ on things we neither want nor need, and don't get me started on how we struggle to figure out what to get her.  It's a lot of money that could really help people who are struggling. 

Honored Contributor

As far as Christmas gifts, I buy much less now than I used to in recent years. 

I used to have a spreadsheet with columns for gifts and cards.

But as the years went on, relatives aged out of gift-giving from me; I telework so no more co-worker gifts; and the 60 cards a year became an expensive contribution to the landfills.

Today I have just 5 people to gift, and those 5 also get Christmas cards (which I paint myself on blank greeting cards & envelopes).  

Of those 5 people, the gifts may or may not come from QVC.  Last year, only one came from QVC.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappy wrote:

At my husband's old job, we used to buy for 11 people (adults and kids) and the count was climbing each year.  One year I made the suggestion of picking a family thru a charity and buying for them, gifts and a holiday dinner.  Boy, did I get the ugly eye.  I'm glad that's all behind me.  Don't buy for mailman, garage man, etc. either.

@ScrapHappy, that was an inspired and generous idea!  Far better to give to those in need!  Many organizations and companies do an "Adopt a Family" program around the holidays!  It is a great idea!

Honored Contributor

Other than small gifts when there were small children in the family - we haven't exchanged gifts in at least 30 years.  

When we visit - we bring "a bottle" or a dessert ... and (family joke!) a lottery ticket.

Even among friends - no gift giving at all - out to lunch and/or dinner.

Respected Contributor

@GloriBee wrote:

@ScrapHappy wrote:

At my husband's old job, we used to buy for 11 people (adults and kids) and the count was climbing each year.  One year I made the suggestion of picking a family thru a charity and buying for them, gifts and a holiday dinner.  Boy, did I get the ugly eye.  I'm glad that's all behind me.  Don't buy for mailman, garage man, etc. either.

@ScrapHappy, that was an inspired and generous idea!  Far better to give to those in need!  Many organizations and companies do an "Adopt a Family" program around the holidays!  It is a great idea!

That's what I wanted to do.  It was getting out of control.  The amount of people to buy for, their kids, the cost, etc.  Didn't know what to get them anymore so I was just buying for the sake of giving them something.  Though one year we were gifted a hot dog cooker in the shape of a toaster and we gave them steaks from QVC.  LOL!  When I mentioned it, you could of heard a pin drop.  Did not go over well.

Respected Contributor

I stopped buying gifts years ago.  I used to tell everyone use the money to buy something for yourself that you like and I will do the same.  It was such a waste exchanging things that no one really liked or used.  The only person I buy anything for is my DH and my dog.  We donate a lot to animal charities where it is most needed.