Respected Contributor

QVC holiday shopping then and now

[ Edited ]

For those of us who have been Q shoppers for 20+ years, have you changed how you approach the holidays, as far as gift giving? I was prompted to think back when I saw a set of individually boxed earrings. 
Back then I used to do most of my Christmas shopping here. I gave gifts to people who didn't expect them and probably made them uncomfortable. The hosts were so persuasive in getting me to buy sets, divide them up, give earrings to the teens, cabin socks to the dog groomer, fill stockings with cheap tiny flashlights that worked once or twice. 
Once I gave an exchange gift of red dyed Honora Pearl stud earrings at a party. The recipient looked horrified at what truly looked like red plastic balls. So embarrassing but Lisa Robertson and Joel Lechter convinced me that every woman wanted a pair. 
Now I'm older, wiser. I don't watch the tv presentations. And I don't believe that every human I run across needs a gift. 
I think my family is also relieved that I am giving gift card and cash. Haha. One size fits all. 🤓

****edited to correct vendor name

Harmonize the World
Esteemed Contributor

Re: QVC holiday shopping then and now

[ Edited ]

Nope. Never was one to give gifts to the cat sitter, coworkers, garbage man, pest control guy or the UPS driver etc. We stopped buying gifts years ago. Now we only give a gift card to the hair dresser. That's it. 

Honored Contributor

I stopped giving gifts years ago.  Everyone I know has everything they need/want.  Prefer to give to charities now.

Respected Contributor

I've been talked into a few items that I laugh about now but oh well at the time I thought  they were great.  I never have given gifts to everyone that they list.  Not going to start either.  

I use to give  more gifts but times change and as we age most people don't need any more stuff.  I have two younger grandkids that I love to buy for.  We do it up pretty good.    I also like to take a name off the giving tree at church.  

I've picked up some items for gifts this year off the Q and local too.  Some  pretty nice items.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fairydogmother wrote:

For those of us who have been Q shoppers for 20+ years, have you changed how you approach the holidays, as far as gift giving? I was prompted to think back when I saw a set of individually boxed earrings. 
Back then I used to do most of my Christmas shopping here. I gave gifts to people who didn't expect them and probably made them uncomfortable. The hosts were so persuasive in getting me to buy sets, divide them up, give earrings to the teens, cabin socks to the dog groomer, fill stockings with cheap tiny flashlights that worked once or twice. 
Once I gave an exchange gift of red dyed Honora Pearl stud earrings at a party. The recipient looked horrified at what truly looked like red plastic balls. So embarrassing but Lisa Robertson and Joel Lechter convinced me that every woman wanted a pair. 
Now I'm older, wiser. I don't watch the tv presentations. And I don't believe that every human I run across needs a gift. 
I think my family is also relieved that I am giving gift card and cash. Haha. One size fits all. 🤓

@fairydogmother Your posts make me smile!

Honored Contributor

Since I don't have a family, I buy three Christmas gifts each year...one for me, one for my BFF and one for my dog. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@manny2 wrote:

@fairydogmother wrote:

@fairydogmother Your posts make me smile!

Thanks 😊 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

I never bought toys from QVC, even when I had kids to give them to. I tended to give things like Tova boxed sets when they were TSV's. Now I give really practical things like heating pads (yes, the recipient requested it) and food items like Alberti's pretzels.

Contributor

Your post made me smile as I remembered the year that I bought cabin socks and handed them out to all the women at the office and the year that I bought the little flashlights for everyone who came to Christmas Eve, too. But my best QVC Christmas story is the year I shopped for my elderly mom for all of her kids and grandkids. I ordered Slankets in every color for all of her 12 children, grandchildren and greatgrandchildren. Actually they were a pretty great gift, but they were shipped individually and I will never forget the UPS man carrying those huge individual boxes in one by one.
Respected Contributor

I've never bought sets of something and broke it up to give to different people...at QVC or anywhere else.  I used to  buy some of the food items but I don't do that anymore because it has gotten so expensive and we just don't buy for all the people we once did.  At my husband's old job, we used to buy for 11 people (adults and kids) and the count was climbing each year.  One year I made the suggestion of picking a family thru a charity and buying for them, gifts and a holiday dinner.  Boy, did I get the ugly eye.  I'm glad that's all behind me.  Don't buy for mailman, garage man, etc. either.