Regular Contributor

Prices of clothing are too high

I like some of the clothes at Q but lately I am noticing that prices are seriously going up. I think QVC needs to drop the letter V from their name because I don’t see value. Lately I am finding Macy’s to be more affordable diverse and modern. I only buy Issac and some of Denim and Co jackets. I think I am going to limit my shopping at q for this reason. Some of the items like earth boots are cheaper at the company’s website than at q. Go figure?
Honored Contributor

Re: Prices of clothing are too high

I find that QVC's prices are comparable to or less than other catalog/online retailers who sell goods of about the same quality.  Take Coldwater Creek, for instance.  QVC's prices and s&h are noticeably lower. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Lovevienna   I agree.  I can get quite a few items for less at Nordstrom now explain that to me.  The Q went crazy with raising D&Co which was suppose to be a house brand.  Some of their prices are totally ridiculous.  I have even seen Issac's prices getting a little to high.  I always say you get more bees when you serve the honey.  The Q ends up losing customers.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was noticing that the median price on the Q is around $50 to $60 without adding shipping and handling. IMHO, they have lost their marketing competitiveness.

Trusted Contributor

You're right--but prices of everything are up! I don't think it's just Q. The proportion of brand name merch compared to their house brands has certainly increased, but I think their prices are similar/competitive most of the time. That said, Macy's is a fine store and I like shopping there, too--often buying their house brands.

It does feel like we don't see huge bargains here as much as we used to, but I'm not sure that's actually true. I think we've been in a kind of bubble of cheap clothing availability and it's probably all to the good for us to adjust to a more realistic sense of what things cost. I'm glad to see some 2-fers starting to come back--this at least saves double shipping costs. 

Shipping is fairly cheap at 3-5 bucks on most things. Where it gets painful is returns. It does keep me from trying something different, knowing that if don't love it, I pay the round trip cost of nearly $10. So I tend to stick to only things I know well. That seems to work for me and for Q's business model. Obviously, if shipping cost less, the difference would have to be figured into the items themselves somehow.

QVC is marketing at scale, and IMO offers good customer service given that fact.

Honored Contributor

I've been around here for 20 years, and never thought of the Q as being a "discount store"...   More like going to a "fashion show"...

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I know prices have gone up on everything, all blamed on the pandemic. I don't mind spending the high prices if the quality is there, but it's ridiculous to pay those prices for cheap fabrics. I got so tired of Kim Gravel trying to sell her polyester clothes saying, "y'all, this isn't your mama's polyester". Kim, polyester is polyester = plastic! There are other online stores that sell the same type styles that aren't so expensive, I just have to find the right size. One thing I used to be able to count on with shopping at the Q is that the sizes were the same across the board, not something you can always find at other retailers that sell different brands. Not all other retailers give the garment measurements. Not sure where I'll be buying my fall/winter clothes from this year.

Frequent Contributor

I agree the prices are too high! And QVC does such high volume also. Does Macy’s or Nordstrom’s sell 5,000 or 18,000 of one item in one day? I think not. They are always saying so many sold in just the last hour or just today. With such volume prices should be lower. I get it…lots of expenses to cover and the pandemic…but still. I much rather patronize my local shops and avoid shipping and possible return fees. I enjoy watching qvc for ideas etc but mostly will shop elsewhere.
Trusted Contributor

@Whispergirl wrote:
I agree the prices are too high! And QVC does such high volume also. Does Macy’s or Nordstrom’s sell 5,000 or 18,000 of one item in one day? I think not. They are always saying so many sold in just the last hour or just today. With such volume prices should be lower. I get it…lots of expenses to cover and the pandemic…but still. I much rather patronize my local shops and avoid shipping and possible return fees. I enjoy watching qvc for ideas etc but mostly will shop elsewhere.

lets not forget, most people are buying more than one! LOL

Honored Contributor

I'm realizing that when people say QVC is comparable to other retailers online and otherwise, they may be used to paying close to those prices where they shop, or at least more than those saying prices are too high.

Or at least above what you might pay at TJ Maxx or Marshalls or even on sale at Nordstroms!

I would never have paid 50-60 dollars for an ordinary shirt, top whatever unless it was extraordinary and a one of a kind plus equisite fabrics, and then I'd have to think about it!

I think many people here have always "shopped" very different places and that is why there are such different views of the prices at QVC.

And some people have disposable income. Some people do not.

Some people enjoy buying clothes all year. Some do not.

So there are going to be wildly different views.

I do think however, that QVC hopes people will think of them as an above average and still a value in what they sell. Most of their clothes are the same or even below the quality of what you can find at Walmart. Same fabrics just more hype. I've bought from both. 

I also still have clothes that were bought years ago from for example Casual Corner-the fabric, the fit, the details I haven't seen since. Of course I don't go to boutique type stores anymore either. I'm just saying QVC spends a ton on their marketing and the tv viewing and they are just average at best when it comes to quality. I do think some brands adhere more to quality than others. I have some pants from quacker factory that I bought years ago and still look like new-yes, that are extremely well made.The things I bought from Susan Graver were well made too. But I donated hers long ago. I do like a lot of things QVC sells but like others have said, I would just look somewhere else and instead of spending &50, $60 for a shirt, I'll spend up to $20, more like $10-17 somewhere else.

It all is truly just marketing and what the market will bear.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"