Re: Pressure Cooker Chat coming 4/6 with The Blue Jean Chef!

Hi Meredith,

I'm so glad to see the Cook's Essentials 4 qt pressure cooker.  It looks awesome and want to get one!  I do have a question about the pot.  Can you tell me how hot it gets while under pressure.  Also, does the coating emit PTFE while in use?  I know the older non-stick surfaces used to and it was dangerous for birds, but not sure about the newer ones.  Just asking because I have a parrot and I've usually tried to stick with the stainless steel for safety.  Thank you.

Contributor

Hi - I bought a pressure cooker tsv last year (Oct maybe?) which I love, but I lost the little metal plug that goes on the lid.  Who do I contact to get a new one? I was hoping I can just buy that piece and not have to buy a new lid.

thanks

New Contributor

Another tip I often use with my pressure cooker gaskets is to lightly coat the silicone gasket with some olive oil (or other cooking oil) before closing the lid.  Then, when I press on the lid, it seals perfectly every time.  It doesn't take a slathering of oil, just a very light swipe with a little oil on my paper towel.

New Contributor

Hi Meredith! Thanks for your quick response to my questions! One more, please! Can I use the slow-cooker function for more than 99min? Or, would there be a reason I'd want/need to, considering it's also/basically a pressure cooker? Thanks again!

Meridith,

Can you please create a paleo cookbook especially for the use with the spiralizer and the pressure cooker

Occasional Contributor

I've got a pressure cooker for every occasion (old-fashioned stovetop, and electric models in both 4 and 6-quart).  This recipe I found (can't remember where) works best in the 6-quart models, as I use a Temp-tations utensil holder for the dish.  I cover it using wax paper (lightly sprayed) and a silicone band, and tent it slightly to allow the bread to rise.  As it's done in a pressure cooker, it is a lot moister than a standard bread, and comes out more like a solid bread pudding, and is easy to slice and heat later on.

Buttermilk Bread - Pressure Cooker

Yield (est.): 1 Loaf

Prep Time (min): 5 min

Cook Time (min): 40 min (15 min steam; 25 min cook)

Ingredients

• 1 Egg
  • 1/2 cup Sugar
  • 1 cup Flour
  • 1/2 tsp Soda
  • 1 tsp Baking powder
  • 1 cup Buttermilk
  • 1 cup Nut, dates and/or raisins
  • 4 cup Water in pressure cooker with rack

Instructions

1. Combine egg and sugar.
  2. Sift flour, soda and baking powder.
  3. Add buttermilk alternately with sifted dry ingredients.
  4. Mix well.
  5. Add nuts and raisins.
  6. Turn into buttered bowl and cover with wax paper.
  7. Place bowl in cooker on rack with 4 cups water.
  8. Place cover on cooker.
  9. Steam without pressure on low for 15 minutes, then cook at "cook" position (high pressure) for 25 minutes, allow to cool naturally.

P.S. - for those that would like to use the Cooks Essentials pressure cooker inserts in your Air Fryer, try a metal binder clip to hold the handles together, and they won't interfere with the top or fan.  Worked for me.  It'll be hot when it comes out, but that's what your Temp-tations oven mitts are for.

Haven't been watching continuously today, but please make sure you refer folks to your Facebook page, where they'll find most of the answers to the questions I've seen so far.  Great Work, Meredith, And THANKS!

Occasional Visitor

Hi Meredith - I do so appreciate the times that you are presenting on QVC.  I have all of your cookbooks and just ordered your newest pressure cooker cookbook.  Thank you.  I have 2 Cook's Essentials Pressure Cooker's. a 10 qt and an 8 qt  capacity.  Is there a difference in the timing and amount of liquid that I need to use with these different sized pressure cookers?  Yesterday I cooked 4 beets the size of my closed fist in my 10 qt pressure cooker.  I followed instructiosn and used 1 cup of water and the cooking timing of 15 minutes for beets.  At the end of 15 minutes I did a quick release .... and found that the beets were still very hard and not cooked.  Do you have any suggestions for me?  Many thanks.  Judy Treanor

I noticed that when you made your ribs you used baby back ribs.  Could they be made using other types of ribs?  Would I need to adjust the cooking time due to the increased thickness of the ribs?

Thanks

Contributor

Hi Meredith.

I love to watch you when on air. I learn so much. I have a pressure cooker and all of your books and ordered the new book today. FABULOUS job with the recipes. I have a pressure cooker book that was my Mothers from years ago. She had the old fashioned pressure cooker with the jiggly thing on top. The cook book is for a Mirro-Matic stove top cooker. There are a lot of good recipes in it but I don't know how I would convert the recipes from the stove top cooker to the electric digital cooker. There is no way to change the "pounds of pressure" on the electric cooker. The old jiggler had 3 settings for 15, 10 and 5 lbs of pressure. How would I adjust the electric cooker? Mom made a KILLER meatloaf with the stove top one but I haven't tried it in the elec. one. By the way, your meatloaf recipe for the Microwave Pressure cooker is OUTSTANDING. I would still like to try Mom's recipe too in the elec. cooker. I also heard you say today that you need 1 - 1 1/2 cups of water in the 4 qt. cooker. Mine is 10 qts so what would the minimum amount be in that size? Sometimes I don't go by a recipe, I just toss stuff in there. I think I am using enough water but want to be sure. Nothing comes out dry so far. Thank you for all you do for us Meredith. Keep up the GREAT work.

Judy

Contributor

Hi Meredith,

When cooking ribs in the pressure cooker, is there something called a "silver skin" or something like that, that is supposed to be torn off the back of the rib rack before cooking that is supposed to make the ribs more tender? I've seen some chefs on tv remove that first.