Regular Contributor

When I first saw this I was ready to order several because they look adorable. I then scrolled below to the questions and noticed that someone pointed out there are SIX small screws needed to open the battery box!  Why on earth would they design it this way? I don’t know that I will have the patience or desire to go purchase a tiny screwdriver and deal with this to change the batteries every two months. 

I have too many of Valerie’s lanterns, and even the outdoor ones do not have this battery box closure.

What do you think –   Is it more secure and will you be buying?

Honored Contributor

Re: Plow and Hearth Statue TSV

The excess of screws is probably to assure that the battery compartment is water-tight. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Why does a statue need batteries?  Guess I'll have to look it up.

Just go to a regular garden store and check out the selection of stone statuary (not electrified).  You'll find something nice.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

Why does a statue need batteries?  Guess I'll have to look it up.

Just go to a regular garden store and check out the selection of stone statuary (not electrified).  You'll find something nice.

Not just a statue.  It's and indoor/outdoor light. H227225

Honored Contributor

I guess some people might be placing their statues on snow and having a weather-tight closure is a good idea.

Respected Contributor

As others have posted, it's to keep the batteries dry outdoors. If you plan to use indoors only 2 screws opposite from each other will keep the plate on & make it easier to change the batteries...I have a few items used indoors with the screw closure & that's what I do. Hope that tip helps & if you purchase, Enjoy @Cathyshopper.

Esteemed Contributor

Number of screws wouldn't bother me at all.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The excess of screws is probably to assure that the battery compartment is water-tight. 

I think that's right.  I have two strings of outdoor lights that are battery-operated.  Getting into the battery compartment is like getting into Fort Knox.  But the batteries are well-protected from the weather.

Regular Contributor

@kitcat51 wrote:

As others have posted, it's to keep the batteries dry outdoors. If you plan to use indoors only 2 screws opposite from each other will keep the plate on & make it easier to change the batteries...I have a few items used indoors with the screw closure & that's what I do. Hope that tip helps & if you purchase, Enjoy @Cathyshopper.

This makes perfect sense! I probably will use it inside rather than outside Anyway. 

Respected Contributor

I just don't need and today I see lots of things I would like to have.

Screws are a hassle but doable.