Respected Contributor

Re: Please tell the poor host how to pronounce toile

I am not a fashion maven, nor am I a QVC host,  but I do know the correct way to pronounce toile!   I would think anyone, female in particular, and beyond the teen years would know how to pronounce toile! 

Respected Contributor

@kittylou.. are u happy and content now?🤔..I hope u are! I’ll end it there and won’t even respond to u any further.
Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

I don't watch QVC anymore, at all.

There is a long time host that would do some of the St. Patrick's Day shows and she would constantly mispronounce Claddagh and Connemara.

Hi, curious to know how she pronunced those words? Usually Jane does the midnight and closing shows for Saint Patrick's Day & Rose of Tralee, with a few other hosts sprinkled throughout the day.

Cat Very HappyHeartCat Very Happy

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Respected Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

This is sign of poor management and training.

No one in the booth thought to correct her immediately!?!?!  This is not a small little community production,  It is a multi-million dollar sales channel.

If I heard someone say toile with an 'ay' on the end I would have NO IDEA what they were trying sell me.

Management supervision at QVC has almost disappeared in recent years. Grown men doing dances, inappropriate dress codes, hosts speaking too fast, pressure sales techniques. For those of us old time viewers its a far cry from the good old days when hosts were prepared and calm. I remember Steve Bryant saying he would do "homework" and research on his own time.  

Esteemed Contributor

I suspect that most people would not know how to pronounce words having to do with fabric or fashion since very few people sew nowadays and home ec is not required in schools. But it is a host's job to speak well and it's obvious when a host doesn't.

Trusted Contributor

I have no inside information, but I get the impression the training is not what it used to be.  Plus, people like David and Jill were in the news business, familiar with speaking and being on camera.  

Honored Contributor

I have an idea most of the hosts, new hires or not have been in front of the camera in some way before they were hired at the Q. They are all college graduates and should know how to pronounce all kinds of words. It's a shame everything has been dummied down and people actually make excuses for these so called television retail sales professionals. Amy Stran is the worst IMO and she has been at the Q for years, she actually is less prepared and speaks like a teenager, not at all professional. I couldn't wait for CC to come back to regular sales and she's  no more than a  reincarnation of  LR. Courtney's schtick is all about living the luxury life, who does she think her customers are!

Honored Contributor

Ha! If y’all want to hear the English language bastardized, just come visit Hawaii.  You’ll cringe.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

This is sign of poor management and training.

No one in the booth thought to correct her immediately!?!?!  This is not a small little community production,  It is a multi-million dollar sales channel.

If I heard someone say toile with an 'ay' on the end I would have NO IDEA what they were trying sell me.

Management supervision at QVC has almost disappeared in recent years. Grown men doing dances, inappropriate dress codes, hosts speaking too fast, pressure sales techniques. For those of us old time viewers its a far cry from the good old days when hosts were prepared and calm. I remember Steve Bryant saying he would do "homework" and research on his own time.  

Sadly, I don't think management supervision has disappeared, I think management is promoting and in some cases mandating some of these antics...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

Kathy Levine was a Spanish teacher before joining QVC.  These new ones?  I don't even watch them.