Super Contributor

Re: Please tell the poor host how to pronounce toile

@Daysdee wrote:

I saw that program.  Courtney/Kourtney of the new hires.  (not  Ms. Kondabi )  She had several mispronounciations.  This last group hired are not well-prepared for their shows.

Particularly cringe-worthy is the hosts constantly telling guests that they don't know what basic words mean. I don't watch the Q that often and see it happen nearly every show. The older hosts - Mary Beth, JRT, David, Leah, etc. - don't seem to have this issue.

Honored Contributor

As an added note: I'm surprised that there isn't a thread re: GILI TSV. 

Also, there's a rumor (around here in my area) that students are able to take tests at home, on their computers, 'looking up' answers. 

Is that true now-a-days?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I just saw Kristine Zell’s cringeworthy presentation. As a New Yorker, it doesn’t matter where your from to pronounce the word bagel correctly. It’s w/a long A. That’s just proper English + pronounciation. And then she states out loud to the vendor, that she’s mispronounced it all her life. 😂. I mean, really.. wouldn’t u think of correcting yourself eventually then?🤔
Super Contributor

@depglass wrote:

It would seem to be an automatic procedure to "prep" a host before a show.  Review the pronounciation of the items they will present and give a brief biography of important vendors.  I fault QVC on this, not the new hosts.  They are being thrown into the deep end, I guess the theory is to see who makes the least mistakes.  

News anchors do that all the time. If they see a name or word they aren't familiar with they find out how to pronounce it before they go on camera.

Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

As an added note: I'm surprised that there isn't a thread re: GILI TSV. 

Also, there's a rumor (around here in my area) that students are able to take tests at home, on their computers, 'looking up' answers. 

Is that true now-a-days?

i cannot answer your question, but i do remember when i was in school we had "open book tests" and "take home tests."  of course, i did not have a computer at that time.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@ReggieG 

”twahl”

Respected Contributor

@ReggieG 

Oops—had to start over because part of msg disappeared!

The scenic fabric is “toile de juoy,” but most people just say “toile,” which is pronounced 

”twahl”

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

A new poster to start a negative thread, how boring.

I agree with the new poster. Correct pronunciation is professional.

Meangirl-type responses, well, are just that.

Esteemed Contributor

It's not mean to expect the hosts to know how to correctly pronounce what they're selling. It is mean to throw them in front of the cameras with little training. It just sets them up for criticism. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@KKlim wrote:
I just saw Kristine Zell’s cringeworthy presentation. As a New Yorker, it doesn’t matter where your from to pronounce the word bagel correctly. It’s w/a long A. That’s just proper English + pronounciation. And then she states out loud to the vendor, that she’s mispronounced it all her life. 😂. I mean, really.. wouldn’t u think of correcting yourself eventually then?🤔

"it doesn't matter where you're from".  

You know, proper English.

And then there's sentence structure and spelling (pronunciation, not pronounciation), so, well, I think if you are going to criticize someone's "proper English", you perhaps should have yours all wrapped up.

IMHO.

Cat Happy