Honored Contributor

Re: Please tell the poor host how to pronounce toile

I saw that program.  Courtney/Kourtney of the new hires.  (not  Ms. Kondabi )  She had several mispronounciations.  This last group hired are not well-prepared for their shows.

Esteemed Contributor

And yesterday, a not-so-new hire, KZ mispronounced Bagel. Could not believe my ears! Fortunately, the vendor corrected her..

QVC appears to be setting the bar very low for new hosts.

No more pros like Jill B, MBR, PJDeM, Leah and other long time hosts who never had such a problem.

Trusted Contributor

@queendiva   I just located the bagel presentation you referred  to.  Thank you.  Entertaining and quite consistent with her presentations  She tried to make a quick recovery when he corrected her though!  No, Ms. Z, not even Minnesotans pronounce it that way.

Trusted Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

And yesterday, a not-so-new hire, KZ mispronounced Bagel. Could not believe my ears! Fortunately, the vendor corrected her..

No more pros like Jill B, MBR, PJDeM, Leah and other long time hosts who never had such a problem.

Just out of curiosity, how do you mispronounce bagel?  I know bagels have their roots here in NY, but I would think everyone in this day and age knows what a bagel is.  

Trusted Contributor

I'm in a profession that requires initially a BA degree and in order to continue in the field, an MA or MS degree.  I work closely with those new to the profession and I'm often shocked at what young people don't know and how poorly some of them speak.  Don't bet on management providing adequate training if those same people don't even know how to correctly pronounce different words.  However, they need to learn first before they prepare someone else for the job.  So if someone in management doesn't know how to pronounce toile, then he or she better learn it.  

Esteemed Contributor

Mispronunciation was something like bagg-ul or boggle, no long A, which would be the proper pronunciation.

Guess she has never seen or eaten a bagel before, but she had to present it. Agree that the producer should have corrected her through her earpiece immediately. Maybe he or she was in a mild shock of disbelief and was unable to react quickly to the mispronounced word..

Esteemed Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

@queendiva wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how do you mispronounce bagel?  I know bagels have their roots here in NY, but I would think everyone in this day and age knows what a bagel is.  

I pronounce that first syllable like BAY but the host pronounced it like BAG as in handbag.  Seemed like she said people in Minnesota pronounce it like that then backtracked to say she's been told her whole life that she mispronounces it.   Sounded like "BAG-ull". 

Honored Contributor

It would seem to be an automatic procedure to "prep" a host before a show.  Review the pronounciation of the items they will present and give a brief biography of important vendors.  I fault QVC on this, not the new hosts.  They are being thrown into the deep end, I guess the theory is to see who makes the least mistakes.  

Trusted Contributor

I live in Minnesota...a Chicago transplant that taught elementary school here for 40 years.

I think that many Minnesotans pronounce the "ag" sound differently than I do.  Flag sounded like "fleg" to me.  My Minnesota grandsons pronouce bagel more like KZ did.  I think that it must be a regional thing, although it "hurts" my ears just a tiny bit.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ReggieG wrote:

There is no “ay” sound on the end of that word. I feel bad for her.

There are a number of hosts, including some in the primetime hours, whose ennunciation is horrible. I'm surprised, given that the hosts careers are based in speaking on TV, that the Q hasn't invested in elecution lessons. Even the NBA, NFL, etc. offer these lessons to players so that they can speak well in interviews.