Trusted Contributor

Re: Please do a little research before buying the Keurig

Anything with a water chamber needs cleaned.  It gets a film.  Even my kettle that just boils water on the counter gets a cleaning from us. 

Valued Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

if you do a little research, you will discover biodegradable k cups - 97% about-  in a variety of coffees. i have been using for several years.

I throw them in my compost pile on the rare occasions I use them.  Better yet, buy an Eco-cup and fill it with your own grounds.  There is nothing in the trash if you compost the grounds.

Saving one dog won’t change the world, but it will surely change the world for that one dog
Richard C. Call
Valued Contributor

I just made coffee for the first time with a french press.....all I can say is WHY did I wait so long?

Honored Contributor

As someone pointed out you cannot use the Keurig machine without the metal portion in the k cup. (And I love that you rigged your machine to work without it!) Keurig addresses that issue and it's the fault of the design the actual machine. I'm aware that you can separate the metal from the plastic but as somebody else pointed out who's doing that? I certainly appreciate those that are but unfortunately 5 billion + in landfills says the majority of people aren't doing that. I just wanted to put it out there because I'm always surprised when it comes up in conversation, no I don't go around bashing Keurig to everyone I meet, that so many people are completely unaware of the fact. They've got a great marketing team!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unless you drink pots of coffee, I don't see the big deal about k-cups.  If you drink lots of coffee you most likely will make it by the pot. 

K-cups are so small compared to all the plastic and Styrofoam cups used daily by people, I think they are WAY down on the list of things to be concerned about.

It a k-cup of coffee or two makes someone happy, it's not something to fret about compared to what you would get a serving of coffee or a large drink in at a drive through. I'd guess almost all k-cup coffee goes into a person's travel cup or a mug. 

Honored Contributor

I always wonder if all the people who complain about those who toss out a few small k cups/day...did you use disposable diapers for your children?

I think I've been very responsible in my ways...but I do toss out about 6 k cups each week.  Use a different coffee maker most of the time.  

Honored Contributor

It all adds up, so whatever you can do to help, whether it's a small step or a larger step, will make a difference.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I mentioned this earlier in the thread but KEURIG has a selection of recyclable cups out now....

Our new recyclable K-Cup® pods are a turning point in the journey

Creating a truly recyclable K-Cup® pod means understanding what really matters. We had to make sure that our pods would be easily recyclable while still maintaining the exceptional quality of the coffee inside. After years of evaluating, innovating, and testing a variety of materials and processes— including a paper option that didn’t hold up to our standards—we’re proud to introduce a new recyclable polypropylene K-Cup® pod. We’re starting our journey with four varieties and more will soon follow. It’s progress that’s right for our coffee, our consumers, and our future.

EXPLORE OUR RECYCLABLE K-CUP® PODS

http://www.keurig.com/makingeverycupmatter

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Recycling them is ok, but recycling still uses a lot of resource.  Electricity, water, fuel...not something I rely on to make me feel less guilty about the environment,  I would never use one of these machines.  Even the Keurig founder has been vocal about how he feels guilty that he ever invented it due to the amount of waste they produce.  

i just a regular coffee pot with paper compostible filters because I like brewed coffee.  The Keurig pods all contain instant coffee in addition to ground so I've never cared ror them or seen the point of them anyway.  If you like to drink a cup of instant coffee just put some instant coffee powder into a mug and add hot water.  No contraption needed. Nescafé is pretty decent instant and a lot cheaper than those pods.  

Edited to add a source 

http://www.businessinsider.com/k-cup-inventor-john-sylvans-regret-2015-3

Honored Contributor

I do understand that every little bit counts, but I will continue to use my Keurigs until they die -  and, sad I suppose, I will buy the coffee I like best regardless of the cups. However, I use maybe one every three or four days.

On the other hand, I've never added disposible diapers to the landfill or wipes either.  I've never driven an SUV, I've never lived in a huge home,  never used electricity to power a personal swimming pool, I don't have pets whose waste is disposed of in a plastic bag, etc.

I do recylce regularly paper, glass, plastics, etc. as my localty provides for.  I've gone out of my way (actually paying for help) to recycle large electronics, furniture, and appliances.

There are myriad ways to pollute the environment and myriad ways to help to protect it.  We all need to do some; I just don't think we all need to do everything.