Frequent Contributor

Hi All -

If you use this for shampoo, you still have to use a separate conditioner, correct?  I think my hair needs conditioning and I usually just use WEN.  I'm too short on time, so I don't take a lot of baths vs showers, so I know to use it as a bubble bath would be a lifetime supply.  If I just use it as body wash in the shower, the scent would be lost because there is no matching lotions included.  Am I missing something here?  I love great smelling products, and would like to try these, but I'm just not sure how useful they are.  Can the Philosophy fans please give me some ideas?

Honored Contributor

Re: Philosophy 3 in 1 TSV

[ Edited ]

If you enjoy great smelling shower gels that are relaxing and enjoyable then these are for you. Yes, if you use hair conditioner you still need one. The six ounce size is great for me because they are easy to handle, and I don't care for the super sizes. I use Shear Splendor shampoo and conditioner on my hair which is made by Philosophy and smells like lemon custard. It really just depends on what a person enjoys. Shower gels from most any company normally do not linger beyond the shower, or at least not ones I have used.

Contributor

You are correct. You'd need a separate conditioner. These 3-in-1s are only shampoo or body wash, not a conditioner. 

Pas far as scent - yes, it isn't a lingering fragrance. It offers a sensory experience while you're using it but I don't think lasts afterwards. This makes it good for my husband who doesn't like the smell to linger. I prefer it, too! Indeed, many of these scents are enjoyable but I wouldn't want to smell like it for long. 

This TSV is a great value and a good way to try out a variety and see if you like it. Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

Just one person's opinion-when I tried to use it as a shampoo my hair was not moisturized and was difficult to comb out.  So you  must use a conditioner if you choose to use it as shampoo.  I also did not like the way my hair felt when I used it.. Love Philosophy  as a bodywash, though.

Respected Contributor

Re: Philosophy 3 in 1 TSV

[ Edited ]

I am a big fan of the Philosophy 3-in-1s, but not for my hair. The product doesn't work well as a shampoo for me, even with a moisturizer added.

I don't wear scent to work, so I like the way the fragrance doesn't linger.  Especially with the food scents--does anyone want to smell like licorice or cocoa all day?  But it's a treat in the AM shower.

Just for the scent, I wouldn't be hooked, but my skin is so soft from using this as a shower gel.  I have ultra sensitive skin and it doesn't get irritated or "rashy" at all.

In the TSV, there are too many unknown quantities for me to leap into a purchase.  Among these many scents, the one I have tried, lemon chiffon, had a "furniture polish" overtone that wasn't good.  Though almost all the reviews were more positive, a few reviewers said the same thing:  chemical overtone.

The brand has changed in recent years--I think the original company has been bought out.  They only bring out the 3-in-1s in limited editions now, and do fewer "food" scents.  The food-and-beverage ones are the most fun for me, and it's good they do not stay after the shower. I can't   go around all day smelling exactly like a margarita.  (Senorita Margarita is the 3-in-1 I am using now.)

ETA:  The Amazing Grace 3-in-1  _does_ last after the shower.

Regular Contributor

I cringe everytime I hear them recommend it as a shampoo. It's very rough on hair, great for the body, but will strip your hair of all moisture and color in a heartbeat. Beware.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm the outlier here - I use the 3 in 1 as a shampoo, have for years, and for my hair type it works fine.  I haven't used conditioner in a long time, though - since I started wearing my hair short.  I don't color and don't own a blow dryer or a curling iron.  That's just me.  I also don't shampoo every day.  I enjoy not needing a separate product in the shower, and I do love my Philosophy.

To each her own.  I'm with you, OP (@SMA X 2), on the lotion thing.  I always have body lotions to go with my shower gels, and EDP and spritzes, too, to "layer' the fragrance.  I mix and match all the time.  That TSV set would just be a little personal indulgence to me - new color, new scent, just something that takes an everyday routine above the ordinary, if you have the budget for it.

Cogito ergo sum
Contributor
I cringe too! It's absouately horrible for my hair. I only use it as a shower gel or taking a bubble bath.
Frequent Contributor

Thanks everybody for the feedback!  I love the other philosophy skin care I have used in the past - especially the facial peel.  I too enjoy the foodie smells the best.  I wish I had time for more baths - I would love to soak in a yummy scented tub.  I am thinking I may get them after all because my younger son loves smelly shower gels and he doesn't need the scent to linger, but it does help with smelly little boy odor!  Smiley Happy Thanks again!

Valued Contributor

This is a nice set if you want to sample the different scents, but I prefer the Supersize 3:1 because my entire family uses them. We go through 64 ounces in a couple of weeks.

They put together a really nice selection. I agree with Nancy Hornbeck, my favorite is Sugar Plum Fairy. I keep a body lotion in my car, and I love it!!