Respected Contributor

Re: Phillip Watson's TSV 6 SunPatiens

@IamDoodles wrote:

You can buy these anyplace where plants are sold, including Home Depot, Lowe's WalMart and every local garden center.  Why in the world would you buy these from QVC?  

Many of us through the years have supported QVC over other retailers because we liked the hosts.

Trusted Contributor

I bought these last year. It took to the middle of July before they got this big. Never again. None of the 12 strawberry roots managed to grow even one leaf, nor one strawberry. Another failure. Same with the tomatoes. No more online plant buying for me.

Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-mom SunPatients are available everywhere.  Walk into any big box store with a garden center and they can be found.  Walmart has them.  The plants will be larger and likely a lower cost per plant.  I support my local family owned greenhouses.

Respected Contributor

I went to another well-known online plant company and found them 4 for $24.95 plus about $10 for shipping so that makes them about $8 each.  All the same color.  Maybe they are bigger better plants, I don't know.  The Q plants look very small.

I can check at local nurseries, but I'm not going out much these days, and they might not have them when I go, or I'll forget when they do.  Also have to drive across town.  So I'll take a chance on the QVC plants.  I got the pink grouping but wish a white one had been included with them instead of 3  pinkies.  White gives the eye a rest from all that pink.  Plants I've ordered online usually arrive very stressed, and I hope these will be ok.  Shipping is rough on them compared to bringing them home in the car.  

I didn't get any annuals last year because we were in drought and could not water much.  Lotsa rain for Calif this year, so I've collected a lot of rain water for use this summer.  We will still need to be careful of water use.  I'm rambling.  Love gardening.

Esteemed Contributor

Phillip looks great, sans the eyeliner.  I don't buy annuals & we have a very short growing season.  I did buy the peony bulbs.

Trusted Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@IamDoodles wrote:

You can buy these anyplace where plants are sold, including Home Depot, Lowe's WalMart and every local garden center.  Why in the world would you buy these from QVC?  

Many of us through the years have supported QVC over other retailers because we liked the hosts.

your response is ludicrous.  

Trusted Contributor

SunPatiens grow well down South, but only March thru May here in FL. They grow fast and become large and bushy, filling a good size pot in no time. Then the intense sun and humidity sets in mid May, and these plants grow way too tall and very leggy. Their lower leaves turn yellow and drop off leaving a tall ugly bare stem with just a few leaves and some blooms at the ends. Probably a fungal disease from rain and humidity. I would only plant these around June up north.  Also, here in FL, any type of impatiens need daily watering if no rain. Annuals are a ton of work down here just when the heat is too unbearable to work outside at all. 

Valued Contributor

They are typically a shade-loving flower-These are not. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't buy annuals. A waste of money because we have such a short growing season. 

Respected Contributor

I love gardening and I love flowers but unless I constantly spray them the deer eat everything. I bought these sunpatiens last year from Philip last year and they grew beautifully and bloomed beautifully. Then, woke up one morning and the deer had eaten the entire plant to the roots! Tired of wasting money and getting frustrated. I only buy lavender now; deer won't touch them.