Respected Contributor

I have a question about it.  Do you put on the original or ruby gel coat on as a base coat before you use one of the colors?  The top coat is self explanatory and I haven't see a full presentation--I had insomnia last night and caught part of a presentation.

Thanks in advance!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Perfect Formula TSV--12/7

I swear by Perfect Formula nail products. You have options with this formula. You can use any of the clear, pink or ruby as a base coat and it works. (They also make a specific base coat but I usually just use the pink gel). You can use 1-2 coats depending on how tough you are on your nails. Polish can be added from any brand. but not required. Top coat is nice and I use it if I have it or the time. I usually end up using the gel coat as the top coat if I'm using regular color polish. The PF colors have improved and now I only use those. You only need 1 or 2 coats depending and the color lasts for aweek to 10 days for me. Hope this answers your questions.  

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli  - I'm thinking of getting this too.  Always wanted to try it. 

Respected Contributor

I have tried  Perfect Formula many times and each time my nails peel.  I stopped buying because of that.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Respected Contributor

My nails are actually in really good condition.  I have alopecia, so I take biotin daily and it has made a huge difference in my nails (not so much my hair--I'm currently in a flare and have lost A LOT of hair this time).  I actually have to cut my nails every couple of weeks because they get too long.  I rarely break nails now.

Respected Contributor

My nails peeled as well.  Then I found out this has formaldehyde in it, or at least it did when I tried it. Don't know if it still does.

Frequent Contributor

yes, my nails peeled as well.  wont buy!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I cannot comment on the formaldehyde, but I have used this and although I did not experience any nail peeling, what I DO NOT like about the pink gel coat is that the irredescent or brightening effect does not last more than 2 days.  I'm not sure if it's that it fades or what, but that 'look' is the only thing about the product that I like.  When first applied for that day it truly emulates a french manicure, very natural.  Thereafter, it just looks like a clear coat.

Super Contributor

Yes. My nails peeled like crazy. I had to wait till the whole nail grow out again for it to stop. It’s a pretty color but not worth the pain.

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

I have a question about it.  Do you put on the original or ruby gel coat on as a base coat before you use one of the colors?  The top coat is self explanatory and I haven't see a full presentation--I had insomnia last night and caught part of a presentation.

Thanks in advance!

@DrKelli - I do exactly what you said! Right now I have the pink gel "base coat," two coats of Live Love Polish in Firecracker, and one topcoat of My Favorite Topcoat. My manicure (I did them Friday) will last through this weekend- but I will probably change the color Friday - LOL!  Smiley Wink