Super Contributor

Opinions on Choco Nuevo by Andrew Lessman

I want to try the HSN TS today, but not sure which to buy or if it's as good as they say.

I love dark chocolate, but usually get See's which is quite sweet.  I'm afraid to get the 74% in case it's bitter since it has less sugar.

Is the 66% better or does it taste too much like milk chocolate?

Just not sure how to choose.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Opinions on Choco Nuevo by Andrew Lessman

@Ladygray, I've had both. the 74% is very good but it is bitter. if you don't like extremely dark chocolate you probably won't like that one.

the 66% is sweeter but still dark and not like milk chocolate, in my opinion.

both are good choices, depending on your tolerance for bitterness.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love this item. Eat 1-2 pcs every day.  I love good European dark chocolate so I prefer the 91% but I also love coffee, so I have the newest 74% with the coffee. It has little bits of coffee crunch, but very slight.  It's so good.  I don't find the 74 to be bitter, but you may want to start with 64%. He will have good specials on this in the months to come so don't be concerned about pricing.  Start smaller if you're unsure.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The first year he had the chocolate available, I bought the smallest container of each percentage. Figured I would go for the 66% before they arrived, since most of the chocolate I eat is that percentage, or thereabout. 

But, the one I have LOVED is the 74%. It is not bitter to me. I purchase 5-6 containers each year, not only because I want to ensure I have enough on hand for the year, but I also end up handing some pieces out to various people who want to try what I am raving about. I have even had some people purchase 1/2 to full container from me.

The 91% was much too bitter for me, but there are many on the Wellness Forum under the Andrew Lessman threads that swear by the 91%.

I still had 1-1/2 containers left before I purchase three more a couple of days ago. Usually he sells them again in April, the last time he will make them before the summer heat prevents him from shipping any more. In the past his April prices have been very good, and I will probably purchase some more in April, depending upon how many pieces I have given away for people to try.

@Laura14 will probably stop by with her impression of his chocolate. She is as big a fan as I am. Probably more so! Heart

Respected Contributor

I've had all 3 and I agree with @World Traveler .  I found the 91% too bitter and like the 74% best.  Don't find that bitter at all.  It's been awhile since I tried the 66% but Andrew does say that is the closest to the taste of milk chocolate, even though it is dark.  

I wouldn't compare it to See's or any commercial brand.  It does taste good but I think he oversells it a bit calling it the best tasting chocolate in the world. It may be the healthiest since the plant sterols help reduce cholesterol.

Super Contributor

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.  

Nothing is as good as See's.  LOL!

I think I will go for a smaller size and try the 74%.   I live in a hotter climate in the West and it's still 100 degrees here!   Hope the chocolate won't melt on my porch or mailbox while I'm at work.  Yikes.

I don't eat much sugar anymore, except for a dessert treat around my b-day and the holidays... so I thought this would be a nice substitute and good for me to boot.

Honored Contributor

I came off sugar a few years ago. I have only eaten the 91% and I was someone who wouldn't touch dark chocolate because it tasted like dirt.  Now, most things are way too sweet for me including some fruits.  

I think it's a good bet to go middle of the road.  You can always round up or down if necessary.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 Guess what! My three large containers just arrived! He is using FedEx, at least where I live. He usually uses DHL, then it is transferred to the post office. Perhaps he is making for faster deliveries in areas that are warmer. I just ordered it on Friday.

Honored Contributor

@World Traveler Are you kidding me?  Mine haven't even shipped!

Honored Contributor

How big are the pieces?  Do you get it for the chocolate mostly or the plant sterols?

Any why is this better than just taking a pill and eating whatever chocolate you like?